Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the suggestions re the Denon unit. Seems that Richer really want to clear out the silver models - with a price differential of around £100. I'm almost tempted.

Do these have a Bluetooth connection so that they can work with some streaming systems? Could they, for example, work off most of my computer kit via Bluetooth? [laptops, phone, iPads, etc.]

I still have a viable collection of CDs on a server - an older iMac - which can push out tracks on demand via our in house LAN.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
      Thanks for the suggestions re the Denon unit. Seems that Richer really want to clear out the silver models - with a price differential of around £100. I'm almost tempted.

Do these have a Bluetooth connection so that they can work with some streaming systems? Could they, for example, work off most of my computer kit via Bluetooth? [laptops, phone, iPads, etc.]

I still have a viable collection of CDs on a server - an older iMac - which can push out tracks on demand via our in house LAN.
      Bluetooth works really well off my ipad and iphone. Haven’t tried itwith anything else

( I bought one earlier this year, and at the time the silver model was hard to get !! )
      Last edited by teamsaint; 20-11-22, 22:40.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Dave: you seem not to have investigated the original link that ts posted.

Bluetooth now standard
        For the first time, Denon’s best-selling Hi-Fi mini system comes with Bluetooth connectivity. This lets you wirelessly connect your smartphone or tablet and stream your stored music or favourite streaming services such as Spotify, Apple Music and Deezer. For improved sound quality when not using Bluetooth, a simple switch lets you power down the circuits, creating less internal electrical noise.
        I'm sure that if you gave them a call they would answer all your queries.

Comment

Still slightly interested in these. It seems that for an extra £50 one can get these in black - for VIP members that is - which is £50 under the "normal" price at Richer.

Just sounding these out as possible Crimbo presents.

Comment

Delivery is all of £6.99 - as I can't reasonably be expected to walk to a shop!

Comment

Delivery is all of £6.99 - as I can't reasonably be expected to walk to a shop!
              Sounds a great bargain to me!
              Hope they've got some left, given how long the offer has been available.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                Sounds a great bargain to me!
                Hope they've got some left, given how long the offer has been available.
                Did you try for that?

Now got the silver version (Christmas present ...) working in our kitchen. Not sure how well it's set up - but I'll have to redo it anyway to get some thin wires for the speakers.
                I think the radio is working on DAB at the moment - slightly disappointing sound - but that's not necessarily the fault of the kit. Clean, but uninvolving. I don't know if we can pick up FM in these parts.
                I feel that our old FM tuner did give better results - but of course only if it could actually pick up a reasonable signal. FM quality may also have been downgraded in recent years - I just don't know.

Maybe the internet link via Bluetooth will give better quality sound - though I've not figured out how to set everything up yet. It is a neat - and rather solidly built - unit.

Good enough for the intended purposes, but perhaps not for more intense music listening.

Comment

Did you try for that?

Now got the silver version (Christmas present ...) working in our kitchen. Not sure how well it's set up - but I'll have to redo it anyway to get some thin wires for the speakers.
                  I think the radio is working on DAB at the moment - slightly disappointing sound - but that's not necessarily the fault of the kit. Clean, but uninvolving. I don't know if we can pick up FM in these parts.
                  I feel that our old FM tuner did give better results - but of course only if it could actually pick up a reasonable signal. FM quality may also have been downgraded in recent years - I just don't know.

Maybe the internet link via Bluetooth will give better quality sound - though I've not figured out how to set everything up yet. It is a neat - and rather solidly built - unit.

Good enough for the intended purposes, but perhaps not for more intense music listening.

https://manuals.denon.com/rcdm41/eu/en/index.php
                  My 'Hope they've got some left' was directed to you! I'm happy with the set up I have (my Denon player is in the dining room; main kit in living room; Sonos dotted about the house!).
                  Hope you get some better results.
                  My speaker wires for the Denon system (as with my main unit) are anything but thin!

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    My 'Hope they've got some left' was directed to you! I'm happy with the set up I have (my Denon player is in the dining room; main kit in living room; Sonos dotted about the house!).
                    Hope you get some better results.
                    My speaker wires for the Denon system (as with my main unit) are anything but thin!
                    The speaker wires I currently have are really heavy duty, but need to be routed so thinner cable would be a lot better.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      I’ve used units like this in past in the kitchen, but just found it easier to use a decent Bluetooth speaker, currently the Sony SRS-XB33. It sounds surprisingly decent and is about the size of a brick. Battery charge is long, about 20 hours. It cost about $85 at one of those on line sites that sells off excess inventory. I now bring it on trips
                      Yes, I have an Amazon Echo (4th gen) in the kitchen and the sound quality surprised me. I picked it up at a heavy discount on Amazon Prime day. This particular generation of Amazon Echo got a Which? Best buy award, as did the Google Nest Audio, Apple HomePod Mini, Philips TAS7505/00 (no voice control), Sonos One SL, ... and the Sony SRS-XB33... and many others (22 in total!)

Competition is really fierce! Most companies seem now to have now achieved good sound quality from these little speakers, if Which? is to be believed. Watch out for bargains in the sales...

Comment

The big snag with those “clever” speaker systems is the almost inevitable loss of privacy - which will manifest itself in several ways.

Comment

The big snag with those “clever” speaker systems is the almost inevitable loss of privacy - which will manifest itself in several ways.
                          Do you mean they're...watching us?

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                            Do you mean they're...watching us?
                            No, no. Not watching us, more looking after us, with (big) brotherly love.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              No, no. Not watching us, more looking after us, with (big) brotherly love.
                              And now, according to Wired and MIT, even Robot cleaners are at it!

Comment

Just discovered that the legendary mathematician and sometime songwriter and cabaret performer Tom Lehrer has made all his commercial recordings available to download or stream in 256kbps mp3 format from this website: https://tomlehrersongs.com/albums/?f...DWzHRMmxmUWP-8

Who could resist?

Comment

Working...
                                X