Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    "I can see the lighthouse from here."

"Ethel, did you bring your toothbrush?"

or

"You're looking a bit of a wreck today..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

What's happened to Ethel's left ear though?

Dame Ethel Smyth suffered from Tinnitus and had other hearing problems.
      She had a minor operation on her left ear I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        Dame Ethel Smyth suffered from Tinnitus and had other hearing problems.
        She had a minor operation on her left ear I believe.

I feel mean now.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I feel mean now.

I shelved a number of quips and thought I ought to ask the question first!

However I didn't see how your lighthouse comment related to Ethel's lug'ole - it was rather about Ms Woolf, no?
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I didn't mean to make anyone feel mean,now I feel mean !

Comment

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
              I didn't mean to make anyone feel mean,now I feel mean !
              Meaning what?

Comment

Meanwhile....

.... ferns?

Comment

He wrote Grenade Warfare: notes on the training & organization of grenadiers in 1915. He was the second Director of Music of the RAF and wrote the trio section of Walford Davies' RAF March, though he's hardly ever credited with doing it.

His son was knighted like his father and is a much-honoured theoretical physicist and mathematician who has worked extensively on the origin of life from non-life.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post

He wrote Grenade Warfare: notes on the training & organization of grenadiers in 1915. He was the second Director of Music of the RAF and wrote the trio section of Walford Davies' RAF March, though he's hardly ever credited with doing it.

His son was knighted like his father and is a much-honoured theoretical physicist and mathematician who has worked extensively on the origin of life from non-life.
                    Sir George Dyson.
                    I'm now wondering why Walford Davies didn't write the trio of his own march?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony View Post
                      Sir George Dyson.
                      I'm now wondering why Walford Davies didn't write the trio of his own march?
                      Really odd, isn't it? Apparently this wasn't known until Sir George died and the score was found among his papers.

Davies wrote the lively part when he was 1st Director of Music, and he quotes the bugle calls of the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service. Dyson took over a couple of years later, thought the march was too short and added the cantabile trio. But it was published under Davies' name. Presumably Dyson was that much younger and didn't want to make a fuss.

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Meanwhile....

.... ferns?
                        Well, to compound my meanness - the comment was meant to be a variation on the old "blowing a candle out through someone's head, thus implying that there's nothing in between to stop the airflow" joke (which works much better as a visual) - with a "witty" reference to Ms Woolf's most famous (discuss) novel, she is meant to be making the comment I suggested as a caption.

Whatever sparkle there may have been at ten o'clock last night has flattened by this morning

Comment

Well, to compound my meanness - the comment was meant to be a variation on the old "blowing a candle out through someone's head, thus implying that there's nothing in between to stop the airflow" joke (which works much better as a visual) - with a "witty" reference to Ms Woolf's most famous (discuss) novel, she is meant to be making the comment I suggested as a caption.

Whatever sparkle there may have been at ten o'clock last night has flattened by this morning

Comment

... ferney : but I liked your little joke

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                              ... ferney : but I liked your little joke
                              Thank you, vinty - so did Roslyn. Y'know - the Quality Forumites.

Comment

Thank you, vinty - so did Roslyn. Y'know - the Quality Forumites.

Comment

Working...
                                X