Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    "Proving" in the older sense of "testing the validity of", S_A (rather than "showing it to be true"). The same origin of "proof-reading" and "the proof of the pudding".

I might be wrong, but isn't the "red sky at night" proverb referring to the actual sky, rather than the clouds in it? (The atmospheric conditions causing a red hue to the sky at particular times of the day being a sign of bad/good weather?) Clouds generally pick up the red of the spectrum at the sun's angles at dawn and dusk, so shepherds would be permanently confused if they relied on cloud colour.)

Either road up (or neither), I prefer Eric Morecambe's version:

"Red sky at night? Shepherd's cottage on fire."
    TBH I've always assumed it to mean both sky and any clouds present. Recently (at last!) professional meteorologists have been advising jo public that the red at sunset should be seen as indicative of good weather to come when it is restricted to a low glow in the western sky and only reflected on high cirrus cloud, any residual daytime cloud having more-or-less melted away, but that when the sky is livid red, and particularly when that red stretches dramatically right across the sky to illuminate clouds in the east, this often means very stormy conditions to come.

Thanks for the "proving" explanation, ferney.

Comment

No problem, S_A - and thanks in turn for the "red sky" explanation: it made clear what I'd half-remembered.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

last knockings of daylight in S Wilts today.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Beautiful sight there, teamy, catching the back of the front () with the low-angled sun illuminating the undersides of the associated stratocumulus, with altocumulus above. Probably a prelude to some fog where you are, unless the wind picks up.

Well done! There are weather sites where you can submit photos like that for competition; that one would probably be a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Beautiful sight there, teamy, catching the back of the front () with the low-angled sun illuminating the undersides of the associated stratocumulus, with altocumulus above. Probably a prelude to some fog where you are, unless the wind picks up.

Well done! There are weather sites where you can submit photos like that for competition; that one would probably be a winner.
            Thanks S-A.
            I was hoping you would give us the technicals.

no talk of fog on the BBC, but I'm sure you know far better.I'll warn the locals........

( good thing I didn't reverse the photo, or I'd have had the back of the front back to front.)
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Thanks S-A.
              I was hoping you would give us the technicals.

no talk of fog on the BBC, but I'm sure you know far better.I'll warn the locals........

( good thing I didn't reverse the photo, or I'd have had the back of the front back to front.)

Comment

Here's one weather photography site:

Display your photographs of the weather & natural environment from The UK here. Please read sticked threads for info on how to post, size guidelines and more.

Comment

Excellent photo, teamsaint.

Comment

Today -

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      Today -

ibid

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                        ibid
                        ... ibid?

Is Ibid one of they Turkish resorts you frequent?

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post

Is that the other side of the Scarborough view you posted the other week, Alpie - near the Cleveland Way North of Old Scalby Mills?
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... ibid?

Is Ibid one of they Turkish resorts you frequent?
                            Yes, just op cit Bodrum.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

Is that the other side of the Scarborough view you posted the other week, Alpie - near the Cleveland Way North of Old Scalby Mills?
                              No, this Filey, looking from the Brigg towards the town.

Comment

Ely Cathedral, Summer Solstice 20.6.2016

© Andrew Sharpe www.sharpeimages.co.uk
                                "...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X