What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
    No, but I'm making a list in preparation for my next visit to Waterstones, so I'll add it. I want some more Asterix, they are among my favourite light items after I feel I've overdosed on Dostoevsky (it doesnt take a very big dose).
    It's probably out of print, ums but widely available for a song on amazon ...

Other booksellers are available

Comment

Thanks am, I'll investigate.

Comment

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
        Asterix.... Dostoevsky....

Impressive range, ums ! I could never take Dostoevsky... Asterix, on the other hand: NOW you're talking !!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I think my abilities to concentrate are going into reverse. I read a lot of Dostoevsky in my teens, and have the well worn paperbacks on the shelf to prove it. Now, forty something years on, I'm finding him rather hard going. Its fairly unrelentingly dark stuff: hence the frequent need to recourse to Asterix!

I think when you are young there is just more brain space. Now after forty years, its full up. My old boss, who was an entomologist, used to say this. I once asked him how on earth entomologists could remember all the latin names, We cant he said, the brain fills up. By the time you are my age you can only get a new one in if you push an old one out to make room.

Comment

A bottle of Flying Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc which I got online from here.

[Ed: Erm, no gratuitous advertising, s'il vous plaît . It's allowable when you've made 50 posts relevant to Radio 3 first!

ff]
            Last edited by french frank; 14-08-12, 12:15.

Comment

A bottle of RHS Wisley White, very delightful, consumed at Glyndebourne at an equally delightful performance of the Ravel double-bill.

Comment

Originally posted by David-G View Post
                A bottle of RHS Wisley White, very delightful, consumed at Glyndebourne at an equally delightful performance of the Ravel double-bill.
                Now THAT sounds like Just a Perfect Day!

Finished off the Mondelli Prosecco left over from those hilarious Olympics parties whilst cooking a very spicy Cajun Beef with Basmati Rice, well-matched with a Reserve de Bonpas Cotes du Rhone 2010, rich and sweet for its few years...
                lovely rice, spice, veg and sauce...
                ...shame about the gristle. Back to chicken next time!

Seems you have to chop up a prime steak to really succeed with a stir-fry...

Comment

A bottle of Mulderbosch "Steen op Hout" Chenin Blanc (Oddbins, about £9). Good appley fruit and a hint of oak, but a wee bit too much acidity to be truly enjoyable on its own. Excellent with food, though - or at least with the chicken, tomato and coriander casserole I had it with.

Comment

Got a thing about Riesling at present. Three nice ones: Forrest Estate The Doctors Riesling (various online Kiwi wine sellers) , Domain Road (Tanners) and Ocean's Edge (Tesco) all are delicious. limey lemony citrus fresh (not petroly). The Tesco pops up on special offer at £4.99 from £10.99, the others are around £11 or £12.

Comment

Sesti 'Monteleccio 2009' http://www.sestiwine.com/

Absolute heaven!

"...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I almost bought a selection of English wines last week, but got cold feet at the last moment. Are there any experts who can advise?

Comment

English wine can be delicious - especially if you like German wines (and I don't mean the inferior stuff they habitually send over here.)

We bought lovely wines from this vineyard when we were in Suffolk last year. I especially liked the ones made from the Bacchus grape, which is a cross developed in Germany I think

Comment

The Three Choirs Willowbrook 2009 has been excellent but now hard to get. Haven't tried the 2010 but not optimistic as it wasn't reckoned to be a very good year. Mind you, not as disastrous as the 2011 vintage (France/England)

Comment

I've drunk a fair amount of English white over the years: it is regularly served at HM Government receptions. It can be nice - in a German sort of way, as jean says. The Wine Society sells stuff from several English vineyards - Three Choirs, Chapel Down, etc. The best one I've had recently was the Camel Valley Atlantic Dry from Cornwall.

However my main feeling is that English wine is pretty expensive for what you get. For the price of a good English wine, I wd actually far rather have a mâcon, a saint-véran, a quincy, a menetou-salon, a reuilly, a sancerre, a pacherenc-du-vic-bilh, a verdicchio, an albariño, a grüner veltliner, a pecorino ....

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                                I almost bought a selection of English wines last week, but got cold feet at the last moment. Are there any experts who can advise?
                                Our elderflower 2011 is rather good and i'm more than happy to sell you a bottle
                                though it's hardly Sancerre

Comment

Working...
                                X