What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Webb
    • Feb 2024

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Tesco had a Miraval too. I'm going to have to get a Tesco card if this goes on. Goes against my principles though.
    I was looking through Morrisons bin-ends, probably last year Octoberish and they had three boxes of Miraval (18 bottles) there reduced to £8.50 a bottle - about half price, so I snaffled the lot!

Amazingly, it was almost impossible to find decent rosé about six or seven years ago, but it's become hugely popular; people have largely got over the preconceptions engendered by previous encounters with the Portuguese Mat.....!

The french have always loved their rosés, and usually stick to Côtes de Provence - although rosé is made in just about all wine-growing areas of France.

Tesco has just had one of their 25% off for six bottles deals, and Sainsbury's likewise - they too have Miraval and other rosés.

Now, a tuna steak ('undercooked') dressed with capers in olive oil with a green salad and a glass of Miraval is my idea of heaven, with Naxos 8.570444 playing!

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

I wasn’t overly impressed by Miraval - very pale pretty but a bit short on flavour for the price . On the very rare days I splash out on Tempier Rose that remains much my favourite but speak it quietly there is a surprisingly acceptable Bobal Rosado in Aldi at the moment for £6 - I have seen their Greek Assyrtiko at £9.99 recommended in the press and on TV recently but have not tried it.

Comment

• Belgrove
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
        … Tempier Rose…
        Now you’re talking! A serious wine that’s good with food, being lifted from incipience by inclusion of the gamey Mourvèdre grape. Tempier’s Bandol is one of the world’s great wines.

Comment

• Roger Webb
          • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
          I wasn’t overly impressed by Miraval - very pale pretty but a bit short on flavour for the price . .
          Well it is a more sophisticated rosé - might seem strange to pay more for less 'flavour', but, do you remember a time when everyone (not me) was drinking those big buttery Chardonnays from Australia? The same people would have thought a French Chardonnay, say, a Chablis had no 'flavour'! They are now choosing lighter wines with less 'flavour'....Picpoul. Grüner Veltliner, even Muscadet is making a comeback. More obvious 'flavour' doesn't necessarily mean better flavour.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
            Now you’re talking! A serious wine that’s good with food, being lifted from incipience by inclusion of the gamey Mourvèdre grape. Tempier’s Bandol is one of the world’s great wines.
            ... insipidity?

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Not that ubiquitous, I would suggest: never heard of it.
              Unkind, unkind, Pulcers....

Kearaulophone's recent adventures in the land of Buddha led to a more benign response....
              Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
              Has to be a typo for pinot grigio / pinot gris.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Unkind, unkind, Pulcers....

Kearaulophone's recent adventures in the land of Buddha led to a more benign response....

Not meant to be unkind at all: hence the laugh, which clearly got misinterpreted!
                Of course I realised that it was a typo (would have been a VERY strange autocorrect!).

Comment

• Roger Webb
                  • Feb 2024

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
                  Tempier's star has fallen a bit in recent years, although making excellent wines, they have been overtaken by other makers in the general increase in quality in the south.

My go-to Bandol - and I first drank it at my favourite restaurant (one of the Anglo/French greats!) in Bristol probably 30 years ago - is La Suffrène, both red and pink.....and sometimes Rouvière, although this is harder to find here.

My point in recommending to FF the wines I did, is that they are available at supermarkets I know she shops in. Miraval, in spite of its celebrity status is a typical rosé of the 'new' lighter (colour and taste) type....and made by Perrin, one of the greatest makers in Rhône....and now Provence.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                    • Nov 2010

My friend Liz, MW, who knows everything there is to know about Provençal (and most other) rosés deplores the obsession with pale pink wines (cf. Miraval or the ubiquitous 'Whispering Angel' which must be made in industrial quantities). She was talking recently about Tavel AOC, which is pretty distant from Côtes de Provence style-wise, and how/why it has become a hard sell for producers. And also about vineyards in Bandol and nearby being snapped up by conglomerates (Domaine de la Bégude - a personal favourite - for instance). So even higher prices and even paler wines. Apart from Domaine Tempier and the like from Bandol, Clos Canarelli (from Corsica) and Clos Cibonne (just along the coast from Toulon) both make complex and interesting wines with the latter going well with food. Not, alas, very likely to feature in the Co-op anytime soon.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

... I agree that the ultra-pale pinkery risks overtaking other values. Nowadays I often find that Italy, Spain, Greece are producing more interesting rosés

Comment

• richardfinegold
                        • Sep 2012

My wife intensely dislikes Rose-it’s mainly Cab and Chard around here-so I basically haven’t had it for the last 20 years. We are taking a Viking River Tour of Provence this fall, and they will be promoting some Cotes de Rhône brands as part of their packages so I intend to do a little exploring. What is a good Rose that I should be on the lookout for?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                          • Nov 2010

The Co-op did sell a rather nice Provence rose last year called Coeur de Cardaillan I think . I cannot agree that Tempier is on the wane. It is rather more primus inter pares as other Bandols have improved - albeit that the Bunyan reds at Chateau de La Rouviere have always been outstanding .

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

My go-to Bandol - and I first drank it at my favourite restaurant (one of the Anglo/French greats!) in Bristol probably 30 years ago - is La Suffrène, both red and pink.....
                            One of mine also - good value. Vinatis (my go-to supplier of wine in France) sells it for a reasonable sum.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                              My point in recommending to FF the wines I did, is that they are available at supermarkets I know she shops in.
                              I've never really done rosés until now so it's a question of trying things out. In fact, I see I currently have four whites, a red and a rosé all open at the moment so I don't think I'll open the Tavel yet even though it's the one that sounds to my taste. Or, to put an operatic twist on the discussion:

I will choose the handsome DARK one
                              If it's all the same to you.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Not meant to be unkind at all: hence the laugh, which clearly got misinterpreted!
                                Of course I realised that it was a typo (would have been a VERY strange autocorrect!).

Comment

Working...
                                X