What Was Your Most Recent Bottle of Wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
    My wife intensely dislikes Rose-it’s mainly Cab and Chard around here-so I basically haven’t had it for the last 20 years. We are taking a Viking River Tour of Provence this fall, and they will be promoting some Cotes de Rhône brands as part of their packages so I intend to do a little exploring. What is a good Rose that I should be on the lookout for?
    I am clearly well behind the curve here on rose wines, Richard, but want to wish you a very pleasant French holiday.

I wonder if your travel arrangements might include the TGV high-speed trains? They are magnificent.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

A couple of new university student neighbours brought a bottle with them when we invited them round to welcome them to our estate: Lidl's Baywood Summer Fruits Rosé.
      I suspect that it might be like very dilute Ribena with a bit (5%) of a kick. It doesn't seem to exist on their website.
      It's just gone into the freezer for a while to chill before we sample it outside in the garden sunshine.
      I may (or may not) report back.
      No matter: it was kind of them.

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post

I am clearly well behind the curve here on rose wines, Richard, but want to wish you a very pleasant French holiday.

I wonder if your travel arrangements might include the TGV high-speed trains? They are magnificent.
        Actually we need to finalize our plans for getting from Paris to Lyon, and then we are doing a few days in Dordogne after the cruise ends so we also need to figure out how to get from Dordogne back to Paris (perhaps a train from Bordeaux) so thanks for the tip

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
          A couple of new university student neighbours brought a bottle with them when we invited them round to welcome them to our estate: Lidl's Baywood Summer Fruits Rosé.
          I suspect that it might be like very dilute Ribena with a bit (5%) of a kick. It doesn't seem to exist on their website.
          It's just gone into the freezer for a while to chill before we sample it outside in the garden sunshine.
          I may (or may not) report back.
          No matter: it was kind of them.
          Utterly disgusting.
          No saving grace whatsoever.
          Though (other) neighbours' 3-year old looked interested in it when we took it over to them!

Comment

• muzzer
            • Nov 2013

Château Cap de Haut, Haut-Médoc 2016​ from the Wine Society. Let it breathe for an hour or so and loved it, have ordered another 6. Joined the WS recently and have found the best bets are those that are best reviewed, unsurprisingly enough. I approve wholeheartedly of the WS.

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Actually we need to finalize our plans for getting from Paris to Lyon, and then we are doing a few days in Dordogne after the cruise ends so we also need to figure out how to get from Dordogne back to Paris (perhaps a train from Bordeaux) so thanks for the tip
              Angouleme Is the place to catch a train from it’s a TGV so much quicker than getting a train from Perigueux for example.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Here's an online Beginners' Guide to train travel in France, Richard. The man at Seat 61 know his stuff.

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  The man at Seat 61 know his stuff.
                  ... yes, big admirers of the Man in Seat 61 here.

The Dordogne is a fairly large area (in European terms... ) - does richardfinegold know whereabouts he will be travelling in the Dordogne?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                    ... yes, big admirers of the Man in Seat 61 here.
                    The Dordogne is a fairly large area (in European terms... ) - does richardfinegold know whereabouts he will be travelling in the Dordogne?
                    100% endorsed. The Man in Seat 61 (in Eurostar, if I remember) has all sorts of useful news, updates on strikes, problems &c). I did wonder whether rfg would be hiring a car to drive around locally, going by train for longer distances. As vints says, it depends whereabouts they will be. If in Les Eyzies, and with a car, Angoulême might be a better bet than Bordeaux for travelling to Paris. If more leisurely travel is envisaged, taking the train from Périgueux to change at Angoulême would be a possibilty.

There's a Eurail app which you can download and check on which trains to get and whether you need to book or not (you will need to book if the idea is to get to A to B as quickly as poss: I always took the slow routes).

But this is all criminally off-topic. I need to know, if I am to start drinking rosés, what sort of wine glass I drink it from. I only have two sorts, a (pale green) recycled glass goblet with a strip of blue masking tape wrapped round it for white wines; and a Texaco free gift red wine glass. I suspect the question indicates only lower middle-class English wine snobbery, as French friends just shrug and say they have ... wine glasses).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

But this is all criminally off-topic. I need to know, if I am to start drinking rosés, what sort of wine glass I drink it from. I only have two sorts, a (pale green) recycled glass goblet with a strip of blue masking tape wrapped round it for white wines; and a Texaco free gift red wine glass. I suspect the question indicates only lower middle-class English wine snobbery, as French friends just shrug and say they have ... wine glasses).
                      I have few rules when it comes to wine glasses. They shd be of clear glass (your pale green recycled one won't do.) The glass shd have a thin rim (I suspect your recycled one won't do.) They shd have a stem. They shd be large enuff. I think the riedel notion of different glasses for different grape types is absurd.

I think we may have been here before -

And why would they not be snobby about what is a daily business, anyway? I admit I have one glass for white wine and another for red, but I think that's very 'English/snobby'. My friend had a couple of French friends staying with her, and she asked them whether they used different glasses for red and white at home and they looked bewildered. No, they just had wine glasses.
                      ... et seqq

Comment

• Roger Webb
                        • Feb 2024

.............I need to know, if I am to start drinking rosés, what sort of wine glass I drink it from. .
                        I'm known as a wine snob, as, should I take a 'decent' wine to friends for dinner, I also take suitable glasses. The occupants of one particular house we visit have the most unsuitable wine glasses - I'm afraid they are greenish goblets....goblets are totally unsuitable as they curve the wrong way if, like me you're a swirler. But I'm not a Riedel type snob, my favourites are the range of crystal glasses by Dartington, and I use the same medium size tulip shape for most whites, rosés and reds, as Vinteuil says, a nice thin lip. All this does sound like snobbery, but it is not....you will enjoy your wine more in a decent glass.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dartington-Crystal-White-Wine-Glasses/dp/B0759ZLRL1/ref=asc_df_B0759ZLRL1/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=221531457315&hvpos=&hvnetw = g&hvrand=6322641224110654064&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvq mt =&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007025&h vt argid=pla-420921170059&psc=1&mcid=08acda216c963053bae8338554 ca4cfd

These are what I use for better wines....day to day it's the old Habitat ones I bought at the top of Park St when Conran still had it!

Ps don't overfill them, about as much as in the ones shown above.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

I have few rules when it comes to wine glasses. They shd be of clear glass (your pale green recycled one won't do.) The glass shd have a thin rim (I suspect your recycled one won't do.) They shd have a stem. They shd be large enuff. I think the riedel notion of different glasses for different grape types is absurd.
                          À chacun son goût. When Jérôme presents me with something in a clear, thin-rimmed, slender-stemmed glass, I empty the contents into my tumbler. Jérôme said that's as his grandfather does. We French peasants have different ways from the international smart set - no mystique to wine-drinking
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
                            The occupants of one particular house we visit have the most unsuitable wine glasses - I'm afraid they are greenish goblets....goblets are totally unsuitable as they curve the wrong way if, like me you're a swirler.
                            Recycled glass tends to have a greenish hue to it. So that reflects my environmental concerns. I am not a swirler, just a slurper. The masking tape marks 125ml so that I can easily work out the units of alcohol I'm consuming. And if I had £27 I wouldn't want to spend it on special wine glasses. I'd rather spend it on wine. And cheese.

I'm preparing a photograph of the said goblet, w/o masking tape. Not even I would want to drink rosé out of it, but white is okay.

Last edited by french frank; 13-05-24, 18:07. Reason: Added recycled glass goblet

Comment

• Roger Webb
                              • Feb 2024

Recycled glass tends to have a greenish hue to it. So that reflects my environmental concerns. I am not a swirler, just a slurper. The masking tape marks 125ml so that I can easily work out the units of alcohol I'm consuming. And if I had £27 I wouldn't want to spend it on special wine glasses. I'd rather spend it on wine. And cheese.

I'm preparing a photograph of the said goblet, w/o masking tape. Not even I would want to drink rosé out of it, but white is okay.

Can you imagine the madness of having an environmentally sound glass and drinking wine conveyed from Australia or New Zealand...or South America?! I bet people do.

It's one reason why I stick to European wines.....just one!

I look forward to seeing this much vaunted 'goblet'....is it of the sort that Sir John may have imbibed 'sack' from in Henry the Forth part two?

The curse of unit counting is a topic of conversation often at the goblet house I mention, as a swirler it presents no problem as I spill more than I drink.

Edit it is Falstaff's!

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

a photograph of the ... goblet

... looks quite jolly, for swigging tap water.

A bit 'Marie-Antoinette playing at being a peasant', perhaps?

EDIT - a nice optical ambiguity in the photo, as to whether we are seeing the top from above or below...

Last edited by vinteuil; 13-05-24, 18:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X