No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Lord loves ya, young Sir, so you 'ave :doffscapemoticon:
    Anna will pop up and tell us that in 2009 I vilified some humble cousin of the rutabaga

"...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
      jean, I'm afraid I cannot help here, I'd never heard of (or even seen) a Chinese melon, in fact I had to google it.
      There are several sorts of Chinese Melon apparently, but this is a Shark Fin melon I'm told, used for making Shark Fin Soup (a bit like Mock Turtle soup?)

The Chinese man who grew it grows almost nothing else, and we assume that the vast quantities he loads into his car every day end up in the local Chinese restaurants (which is not what you're supposed to do with an allotment).

Here's a recipe I found:

Easy recipe for shark's fin melon soup - no sharks were harmed in the making of this soup because I used a vegetable known as 'Shark's Fin Melon' ;)

All is not sweetness and light amongst the compost!
      It is worse than you could ever have imagined.

Comment

What are you cooking now?
        ... or as the thread title at r3ok read: 'What's that burning?'

Kedgeree - the ultimate comfort food at this time of year
        Rhubarb crumble - definitely crumble season. I have some plums which I plan to use later in the week. I hope it's not too late for brambling...
        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
          ... or as the thread title at r3ok read: 'What's that burning?'

Kedgeree - the ultimate comfort food at this time of year
          Rhubarb crumble - definitely crumble season. I have some plums which I plan to use later in the week. I hope it's not too late for brambling...
          I love kedgeree, me.

I think that kedgeree recipes could form a sub-thread of its own, IGI.

For example do you use curry powder, or cream or peas?

Comment

I love kedgeree, me.

I think that kedgeree recipes could form a sub-thread of its own, IGI.

For example do you use curry powder, or cream or peas?
            I add half a teaspoon each of turmeric and garam masala to the chopped onions, before throwing in the rice and haddock. No peas, but yes to cream. Parsley too. And chopped hard-boiled eggs.
            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

I add half a teaspoon each of turmeric and garam masala to the chopped onions, before throwing in the rice and haddock. No peas, but yes to cream. Parsley too. And chopped hard-boiled eggs.
              Sounding good IGI. I tend to use butter rather than cream but lots of lemon juice too. Chopped coriander sometimes in lieu of parsley.

Anyone for cardomum?
              Last edited by Guest; 16-09-13, 20:00. Reason: trypo

Comment

Sounding good IGI. I tend to use butter rather than cream but lots of lemon juice too. Chopped coriander sometimes in lieu of parsley.

Anyone for cardomum?
                Lemon juice. Hadn't thought of that. I add butter to the onions just before adding the spices.

Comment

Lemon juice. Hadn't thought of that. I add butter to the onions just before adding the spices.
                  Exactly

I like to use leeks sometimes rather than onions

Comment

Got finished a bit early today.
                    Aubergines seem to be cheap ATM, (is it the aubergine season), so doing a quick Moussaka with Veggie mince.

Love Moussaka.

even better sitting outside a taverna overlooking a greek harbour with a glass of Retsina. Yum.

A bit of DSCH Preludes and Fugues./Papadopoulos as a side dish.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Got finished a bit early today.
                      Aubergines seem to be cheap ATM, (is it the aubergine season), so doing a quick Moussaka with Veggie mince.
                      Love Moussaka.
                      If I may ask - what do you mean by Veggie Mince? Lentils? (There was something called TVP -or is it minced Quorn/Tofu you use? Personally I've never gone for these substitutes, give me earthy lentils any day, never understand why people seem to regard lentils with horror)
                      Aubergines - yes and no. Goodness, they soak up the oil and still taste strangely of bananas. Also, do you put potatoes in your moussaka? That is always a point of conflict,

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                        Love Moussaka.

even better sitting outside a taverna overlooking a greek harbour with a glass of Retsina. Yum.

A bit of DSCH Preludes and Fugues./Papadopoulos as a side dish.
                        Sounds like a bit of paradise to me...
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Sounds like a bit of paradise to me...
                          is m'Learned Friend saying that he likes aubergines?

Comment

If I may ask - what do you mean by Veggie Mince? Lentils? (There was something called TVP -or is it minced Quorn/Tofu you use? Personally I've never gone for these substitutes, give me earthy lentils any day, never understand why people seem to regard lentils with horror)
                            Aubergines - yes and no. Goodness, they soak up the oil and still taste strangely of bananas. Also, do you put potatoes in your moussaka? That is always a point of conflict,
                            And you thought that you were just contributing to a food thread, eh teams?

Justify your choices, lad - nowt else will do

Comment

is m'Learned Friend saying that he likes aubergines?
                              I think not - M'Lud just likes posing by a Greek harbour with a glass of retsina because it makes a jolly good photo with the sunset!!

Comment

out of lentils, using some quorn Mince. just a little bit to give a little bit of chewiness !!

I love lentils, like you I can't see the problem with lentils, more flavour than beef mince, for instance.

As for potatoes. Don't usually use them, (mock Moussaka?), but they work in a crisis.

I usually use a mix of Aubergine and some courgette. And I don't always fry the aubergines, just give them a decent slowish cook. Frying enough Aubergines for a big moussaka is one of the world's most laborious tasks !!
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X