Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
    Flourless Chocolate brownies (because we decided this was a good idea for a Sunday night before work tomorrow)
    Why not just eat a decent block of 70% chocolate?

Comment

Cooked this yesterday, which is very good and looks attractive, which is not always true of my cooking.

A classic comforting vegan dish, this recipe for oven baked ratatouille made with slow-cooked courgette, aubergine, peppers and tomatoes is simple and quick to prepare, perfect for a busy weeknight.

Hoping for a glut of courgettes, ( Pulcie’s favourite ) so this recipe may come in handy.

This recipe for zucchini fritters has two kinds of cheese! It's coated in seasoned breadcrumbs & skillet fried until golden brown & crispy!

( Not heard from Mr Zucchini on the forum for some years. He was good for a bit of sparring…..)
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
        Cooked this yesterday, which is very good and looks attractive, which is not always true of my cooking.

A classic comforting vegan dish, this recipe for oven baked ratatouille made with slow-cooked courgette, aubergine, peppers and tomatoes is simple and quick to prepare, perfect for a busy weeknight.

Hoping for a glut of courgettes, ( Pulcie’s favourite ) so this recipe may come in handy.

This recipe for zucchini fritters has two kinds of cheese! It's coated in seasoned breadcrumbs & skillet fried until golden brown & crispy!

( Not heard from Mr Zucchini on the forum for some years. He was good for a bit of sparring…..)
        Actually, that fritter recipe looks as good as any other way to use up any excess.
        Courgette bread/cake is ok too.
        Even the ratatouille looks palatable (apart from the vegan parmesan!).

But I much prefer them just thin sliced lengthways and grilled/griddled and marinaded as an antipasto course.
        It was the weekly substitution (of something by courgettes) in Riverford deliveries during lockdown that really put me off.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          That's how I pronounce it. I thought that was standard?
          Likewise.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            Actually, that fritter recipe looks as good as any other way to use up any excess.
            Courgette bread/cake is ok too.
            Even the ratatouille looks palatable (apart from the vegan parmesan!).

But I much prefer them just thin sliced lengthways and grilled/griddled and marinaded as an antipasto course.
            It was the weekly substitution (of something by courgettes) in Riverford deliveries during lockdown that really put me off.
            Lidl were all out of vegan parmesan( just as well, don’t like the stuff vegan or otherwise) so made do with a Lidl Parmigiano Reggiano .
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I soaked my dried marrowfat peas overnight and am now thinking about what non-mushy recipe I could invent. First how long to cook the peas - online peeps say 25mins or 60 mins. I'm going for 20 mins to see what they're like. Then what else to add? Not too many flavours or it won't be 'classic' . Chopped red chilli, garlic, spring onion tops, maybe some roasted chickpeas. Diced potato? What herbs? Ooh, forgot to buy any mint, bother! Something along these lines will be for today and a more exotic concoction in the days to come (I soaked quite a lot of peas )
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

I soaked my dried marrowfat peas overnight and am now thinking about what non-mushy recipe I could invent. First how long to cook the peas - online peeps say 25mins or 60 mins. I'm going for 20 mins to see what they're like. Then what else to add? Not too many flavours or it won't be 'classic' . Chopped red chilli, garlic, spring onion tops, maybe some roasted chickpeas. Diced potato? What herbs? Ooh, forgot to buy any mint, bother! Something along these lines will be for today and a more exotic concoction in the days to come (I soaked quite a lot of peas )
                You don't grow your own mint?

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  You don't grow your own mint?
                  Yes, but it almost died off. There is one single, very small stem sticking up. I will post a photo when I've got the cooking sorted

This is all I could rescue and plant out; there wasn't enough to pinch a bit for t'peas:

Last edited by french frank; 03-07-23, 14:09.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

This looks like an interesting marrowfat pea soup: surprised to see sugar in the recipe, though!

Marrowfat peas can be purchased online or in a specialty store. Swirl a little sourcream or yogurt on the top of each serving. Found this recipe onlin

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      This looks like an interesting marrowfat pea soup: surprised to see sugar in the recipe, though!

https://www.food.com/recipe/marrowfa...germain-188015
                      I saw potage St Germain, but:

"Clean the leeks, removing the tough, dark parts and discard." No, do not discard. Return to the fridge and use to make a tasty, crisp starter of chopped dark green leeks, sliced, sautéed with chilli, and served with a dollop of sour cream sprinkled with paprika. Not up to much but saves throwing away. It's perfectly edible.

"Lightly blend, process or stick blender the contents". I don't have any kitchen gadgets like that. I have a toaster and cordless kettle.

My own preference is for food (including soups) which retains a bit of al dente about it. I wonder if I can discover the French word for marrowfat peas. My dictionary app suggest 'pois à moelle' but I'm doubtful.

I have burnt my teatowel which currently resembles a dead black and white cat on the floor. Trying to do it all myself without an assistant chef.

Comment

I wonder if I can discover the French word for marrowfat peas. My dictionary app suggest 'pois à moelle' but I'm doubtful.

... my old Harrap [1939] offers pois carré - but I am doubtful here too ; no, more than doubtful - I'm sure it's wrong.

This may help?

Purée de pois pas cassés pour accompagner un fish and chips (Angleterre)

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... my old Harrap [1939] offers pois carré - but I am doubtful here too.
                          This seems to be an authentic discussion of what the English mean by 'mushy peas'!

Purée de pois pas cassés pour accompagner un fish and chips (Angleterre)

Comment

snap!

( ... I suppose «les pois ridés verts» would be an explanation if not a translation )

Last edited by vinteuil; 03-07-23, 15:29.

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

snap!
                              Lovely French take on mushy peas. Not unlike my own

Comment

I'm pretty sure that it's nothing more fancy than 'petit pois sec'.

Comment

Working...
                                X