Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    so it was just what could be got from tescoes - manchego, camembert, comté​, langres...
    They have chaource here but no reblochon. I'm told (by Jérôme)* that there is a branch on the other side of the river, but I don't know which branch or how to get there. Tesco also has Pié d'Angloys which might be worth trying?

Nearest Waitrose is 1.5 miles away, and doesn't have reblochon. From our cave à manger I can get St-Nectaire and Morbier quite regularly and they have a nice Château Lafite-Rothschild, 1er Grand Cru Classe, 2003 at £580 a bottle)** and El Colmado has nice Spanish cheeses which are just the thing with some food.​[/QUOTE]

*I think he invented what he describes as 'Tartifries' which is quite a tasty side dish.

** I don't buy my wine there - just cheese and saucisson sec.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Tesco also has Pié d'Angloys which might be worth trying?
      ... not for me : it's industriel, dates from the 1990s (whatever happened to lymeswold?*). It's a fake - I think you're just drawn to it coz it sounds a bit olde ffrenchey...

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymeswold_cheese

Comment

... not for me : it's industriel, dates from the 1990s (whatever happened to lymeswold?*). It's a fake - I think you're just drawn to it coz it sounds a bit olde ffrenchey...
        Ciel! Industriel! No, I'd just never heard of it. Coop has had some really good ones, including a vintage Gruyère which had all the depth and intensity of freshly-cut Parmesan Reggiano. 'No demand for it' so it disappeared after a few weeks - like the Époisses
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Simple chicken casserole cooked overnight in slow cooker. Chicken thighs (braised), baby potatoes, onion, carrot, mushrooms, any root veg, any beans, pearl barley, wine, bouquet garni, chicken stock, cornflour to thicken. One pot meal for yesterday's Sunday lunch. Delish!

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
            pearl barley
            I miss pearl barley! Memories of my mother's mutton (hogget?) stew with pearl barley - yummm. Desperately unfashionable : to be revisited and enjoyed anew!

Comment

Another variant on tartiflette today as I had neither reblochon nor chaource. I used a Coop British goat's cheese, cut into three circles. Not bad.

Comment

Another variant on tartiflette today as I had neither reblochon nor chaource. I used a Coop British goat's cheese, cut into three circles. Not bad.
                ... wiki tells us - "In its modern form, tartiflette began to appear on the menus of restaurants in the ski resorts in the 1980s. Its popularity is partly thanks to the promotional effort by Le Syndicat Interprofessionnel du Reblochon to boost the sales of reblochon​... ".
                Wiki also notes - "a related dish is the morbiflette prepared with the Morbier cheese in place of the Reblochon"

I think you can call yours a Chèvriflette

Comment

I think you can call yours a Chèvriflette
                  That seems to exist, with courgettes being a common ingredient. Not sure about some of the etymologies, but tartifle seems to be the Francoprovençal word for a potato, so that makes sense. Opinions seem to be divided over how traditional the dish is: either very old or not very old.

The chèvre was quite similar to the chaource, but morbier isn't as sticky. As aforementioned, I've never found any reblochon. But in any case I'm not a purist.

Comment

Just put banana bread in the oven

Bake a classic banana bread with this easy recipe, perfect for everyday baking and occasions. Find more cake recipes at BBC Good Food.
                    Annoyingly listening to and commenting on radio 3...

Comment

I’m not the cook in the family, and of the meals I do prepare, not many would be worthy of mention here. Today I cooked one of the few which generate a compliment – Lindsey Bareham’s recipe – After work Coq au Vin (“Supper Won’t take long” -Penguin). In the spirit of the times, I halve the chicken; its one of our relatively infrequent meals with meat.

I’ve never seen small onions to buy – but shallots seem fine. If I’m going to the trouble, I like to treble the recipe and freeze the remainder. Peeling the shallots, at least 30 of them, is tedious. But then its worth putting on CDs or BBC Sounds……..

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                        Peeling the shallots, at least 30 of them, is tedious. But then its worth putting on CDs or BBC Sounds……..
                        Yikes! Can sympathise - in my miso mushroom tofu stew (see previous page) I like to use at least about a dozen shallots, so preparing that meal (which I will be doing again this week since we have a thyme plant that needs using) does take a few hours. It's worth it though - the meal is delicious and ought to be tried regardless of your opinion of tofu, which is not integral to it...

Comment

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
                          Peeling the shallots, at least 30 of them, is tedious. But then its worth putting on CDs or BBC Sounds……..
                          I had a recipe for roast chicken which consisted of stuffing the entire bird with cloves of garlic. It was tedious peeling the garlic too, so I only cooked it once. It tasted good though, with other herbs mixed in with the garlic.

I'm currently waiting for the dough to rise for a wholemeal loaf - I always feel it's faintly virtuous to bake wholemeal loaves. The feeling of self-satisfaction makes up for the fact that the bread isn't particularly good. I gather the texture improves if you leave it to cool for a couple of hours instead of attacking it with the bread knife as soon as it comes out of the oven.

Comment

I had a recipe for roast chicken which consisted of stuffing the entire bird with cloves of garlic. It was tedious peeling the garlic too, so I only cooked it once. It tasted good though, with other herbs mixed in with the garlic..
                            useful tip : in such recipes you don't need to peel the garlic...

How many aulx did it require? (Always wanted to use that plural)

Comment

useful tip : in such recipes you don't need to peel the garlic...

I can't remember how many ails . I just kept going till there was no room for any more. In fact, my Spanish deli includes unpeeled cloves, along with red peppers, in their dressing for olives. It wasn't quite as finicking to remove the peel because it was softened in the oil, but I did wonder if the peel could be eaten. It was a bit chewy, but waste not, want not.

Comment

"...the isle is full of noises,
                                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Working...
                                X