Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second batch of marmalade being made this afternoon (if that counts as cooking).

Comment

Having discovered a whole free range poulet jaune in the freezer clear-out, it has been defrosted and jointed, with the carcass and skin from the joints being used to make stock, first roasted then simmered with the necessary aromatics. Boneless chicken thighs of a certain age also uncovered and treated similarly.

The Felicity Cloake, 'Perfect Chicken al Cacciatore', recipe but with tweaks (smoked paprika in the flour to coat the pieces; lard paysan d'Alsace; white vermouth). And a bottle of Gewürztraminer to accompany it this evening. Always tastes better reheated so plenty for tomorrow.

Comment

Today is bread day (starting the process soon). So I will roast some baby beetroot at the same time and have a beetroot and orange salad for lunch. No watercress or rocket in the house, so I'll serve it on the sliced beetroot leaves with an orange vinaigrette. Then I shall try my Coop Domaine Lasserre Jurançon with the Roquefort. It really is more of a pudding wine, a bit light (12%) and not quite sweet enough to be competition for a Sauternes, but Coop customers take what they can get. May have a starter, may not. Depends what's in the fridge Maybe some lightly sautéed tenderstem with sesame seed on toast. Maybe not. Need to ponder. May be a bit strong for the salad. In fact I think it is.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Today is bread day (starting the process soon). So I will roast some baby beetroot at the same time and have a beetroot and orange salad for lunch. No watercress or rocket in the house, so I'll serve it on the sliced beetroot leaves with an orange vinaigrette. Then I shall try my Coop Domaine Lasserre Jurançon with the Roquefort. It really is more of a pudding wine, a bit light (12%) and not quite sweet enough to be competition for a Sauternes, but Coop customers take what they can get. May have a starter, may not. Depends what's in the fridge Maybe some lightly sautéed tenderstem with sesame seed on toast. Maybe not. Need to ponder. May be a bit strong for the salad. In fact I think it is.
          What you've described sounds delicious, and much more than 'being a bit of a foodie' as you've claimed elsewhere. The only question, which you raised yourself is the question of wine for the Roquefort, the Jurançon is as you say a little light...but don't despair ('Coop customers take what they can get') the Coop in Ledbury once sold off the superb Château Roumieu Sauternes in both 2010 and 2009 configurations at a trifling sum - not being able to decide I bought six of the former and five of the latter! Glug glug!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post
            but don't despair ('Coop customers take what they can get') the Coop in Ledbury once sold off the superb Château Roumieu Sauternes in both 2010 and 2009 configurations at a trifling sum - not being able to decide I bought six of the former and five of the latter! Glug glug!
            Yes, our Coop often has much more suitable sweet wines for cheese. But this was the only one they had last week (was given a 2015 Sauternes, Château Suduiraut for Christmas ). But I do like to have an opinion based on fact or experience (whether good or bad). I don't really do puddings (just fresh fruit, or occasionally poached pears/peaches/nectarines; and on one notable occasion a crème renversée which reduced the guests to silence when it was brought in). I'm too slapdash, close enough, to make a decent cook and I'm the only one to have to eat it these days (and I'm not pernickety).

Coincidentally, it was a mutual friend of ours who told me about roasted beetroot and returned me to health after childhood years of sliced beetroot from a jar which was the inevitable accompaniment to a salad. We ate it because it was on the plate.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Yes, our Coop often has much more suitable sweet wines for cheese. But this was the only one they had last week (was given a 2015 Sauternes, Château Suduiraut for Christmas ). But I do like to have an opinion based on fact or experience (whether good or bad). I don't really do puddings (just fresh fruit, or occasionally poached pears/peaches/nectarines; and on one notable occasion a crème renversée which reduced the guests to silence when it was brought in). I'm too slapdash, close enough, to make a decent cook and I'm the only one to have to eat it these days (and I'm not pernickety).

Coincidentally, it was a mutual friend of ours who told me about roasted beetroot and returned me to health after childhood years of sliced beetroot from a jar which was the inevitable accompaniment to a salad. We ate it because it was on the plate.
              I would usually forgo pudding for cheese - especially if a decent accompanying wine was in the offing.

Roasted Beetroot is a useful tip as we grow quite a bit (too much?!) of it and inevitably 'vinegarize' it - sometimes with the 'cider' variety just for a change...although this lends the beetroot an unpleasant brown colour compared to the vibrant purple which is my neighbour's choice who usually 'no thank you's' the brown.

I often 'julienne' some of the purple sort and introduce into mayo with a trickle of the vinegar, which, when whipped-up makes a surprisingly zingy accompaniment for haddock fishcakes.
              ​​​​​

Comment

I would usually forgo pudding for cheese - especially if a decent accompanying wine was in the offing.
                Yes, cheese is the invariable, unless I've made something like the tartiflette/gratin champenois which is itself cheesy.

I often 'julienne' some of the purple sort and introduce into mayo with a trickle of the vinegar, which, when whipped-up makes a surprisingly zingy accompaniment for haddock fishcakes.
                ​​​​​
                That sounds a great improvement on my fish (usually salmon) accompaniment of creamed horseradish from a jar. I shall have plenty of beetroot left over when I've made the salad. Might replace the mayo with sour cream and get a white fish next time instead of salmon.

Comment

Yes, cheese is the invariable, unless I've made something like the tartiflette/gratin champenois which is itself cheesy.

That sounds a great improvement on my fish (usually salmon) accompaniment of creamed horseradish from a jar. I shall have plenty of beetroot left over when I've made the salad. Might replace the mayo with sour cream and get a white fish next time instead of salmon.
                  Isn't the horseradish (usually the trencherman's accompaniment for his roast beef) a bit 'piquant' for salmon? I usually pan fry salmon, skin-on and served skin side up with a caper in olive oil sauce.
                  This with a crisp Grüner Veltliner gets close to my idea of heaven - although a tuna steak with the same accompaniments also does the trick.

Comment

I'm reheating in the microwave that portion of the honey-cured-ham-topped pizza sub (or should that be sub pizza?) that I couldn't manage last night.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                      I'm reheating in the microwave that portion of the honey-cured-ham-topped pizza sub (or should that be sub pizza?) that I couldn't manage last night.
                      I did that yesterday (pizza from local tratt) except my kitchen doesn't have anything electrical more complicated than a toaster.

Roger - you may be right about the horseradish, but I eat it anyway. Have just googled "Can you eat orange peel?" Yes, it's highly nutritious, but wash it thoroughly. Also best if chopped into very small pieces, and thrown into a salad.

Lunch delayed. Loaf and beetroot are done but I've decided to walk down to the cave à manger to see if they have anything sweet, white and from the SW of Gaul. Will cost me this week's pension.

Comment

I did that yesterday (pizza from local tratt) except my kitchen doesn't have anything electrical more complicated than a toaster.

Roger - you may be right about the horseradish, but I eat it anyway. Have just googled "Can you eat orange peel?" Yes, it's highly nutritious, but wash it thoroughly. Also best if chopped into very small pieces, and thrown into a salad.

Lunch delayed. Loaf and beetroot are done but I've decided to walk down to the cave à manger to see if they have anything sweet, white and from the SW of Gaul. Will cost me this week's pension.
                        I follow other advice on ' Can you eat orange peel'? Mine says ...best chopped into very small pieces, and thrown into the recycle bin!

Regards. the sweet wine search for bargains, have a look South (without the West) some of the Muscats are delicious - a sommelier nearly dropped his tire-bouchon when I asked for a Beaume de Venise to go with my desert....they are only ever drunk as a aperitif in France!

Comment

I follow other advice on ' Can you eat orange peel'? Mine says ...best chopped into very small pieces, and thrown into the recycle bin!

Regards. the sweet wine search for bargains, have a look South (without the West) some of the Muscats are delicious - a sommelier nearly dropped his tire-bouchon when I asked for a Beaume de Venise to go with my desert....they are only ever drunk as a aperitif in France!
                          Candied and coated in chocolate is a good way to have orange rind.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post

Candied and coated in chocolate is a good way to have orange rind.
                            Never thought of that...I'll pick 'em outta the bin.

Comment

... following Samuel Johnson -

"A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing."

James Boswell Tour to the Hebrides (1785) / 5 October 1773​

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... following Samuel Johnson -

"A cucumber should be well sliced, and dressed with pepper and vinegar, and then thrown out, as good for nothing."

James Boswell Tour to the Hebrides (1785) / 5 October 1773​
                                I was waiting for you to come up with an 18th c. quote, monsieur. I'm disappointed it ain't French though. The wisdom is generally that the parts of the vegetable or fruit that get the most sun are richest in nutrients. Not having a compost bin, I eat any parts that are, in a physical sense - eatable.

Raining, I got soaked, the deli had no saucisson whatsoever and the only French cheese was a piece of Brie de Meaux. Added to that, the only wine of the kind I sought was also a Jurançon like the Coop's, but costing more than twice the amount (and I'd thought £7.25 for a ½ bottle was a good price to pay). Still, it looks as if it might do well with the Roquefort, even if only 13% abv. And the bread has turned out well and has had time to cool. Always look on the bright side of life

Comment

Working...
                                X