Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Mine is a very light broth - just for the minerals, really.
    Ahem, I see a fatal flaw. Any form of heating destroys nutrients. The degree of destruction depends on the cooking time, whether the container disperses the heat evenly, but most of all, the temperature. On average, 20 to 70 per cent of the nutrient content of leafy vegetables is lost in cooking.
    Therefore, I submit to Learned Counsel, that boiling said vegs (inc. the fabled Hispi) over a 7 day period results in a sludge entirely devoid of minerals or any nutritional benefit. I rest my case
    <sticky tongue out emoticon for good measure>

Comment

I agree Anna. Not very hygienic either.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
        I agree Anna. Not very hygienic either.
        But, then, think of the French and their pot au feu, all sorts getting chucked in over months, and months - even years!
        Seriously though, I am in favour of the 2:5 fast but whacky, cranky, diets - Not. The secret to losing weight is to eat less and/or take more exercise and avoid all products with sugar. Did you know that Kelloggs Chocolate Corn Flakes is 39% sugar and all lo-fat products are loaded with sugar? Lo-fat yoghurts are in fact 14.5%sugar. A small bowl of Ricicles equates to 5 teaspoons of sugar, Dorset Cereals - the healthy option - Berries and Cherries is 39.6 sugar. I hate to think what such cereals as Krave consist of .....

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          But, then, think of the French and their pot au feu, all sorts getting chucked in over months, and months - even years!
          Seriously though, I am in favour of the 2:5 fast but whacky, cranky, diets - Not. The secret to losing weight is to eat less and/or take more exercise and avoid all products with sugar. Did you know that Kelloggs Chocolate Corn Flakes is 39% sugar and all lo-fat products are loaded with sugar? Lo-fat yoghurts are in fact 14.5%sugar. A small bowl of Ricicles equates to 5 teaspoons of sugar, Dorset Cereals - the healthy option - Berries and Cherries is 39.6 sugar. I hate to think what such cereals as Krave consist of .....
          I think the principle behind the stock pot is that if it's kept constantly hot, it is "hygienic" and OK as far as protein content is concerned. As you say, though, the nutritional content as regards veg would be very low to non-existent.

I read about the 2:5 fast, and there being rather too much of me thought I'd try it. I'm pleased to say it is working.

Comment

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
            I think the principle behind the stock pot is that if it's kept constantly hot, it is "hygienic" and OK as far as protein content is concerned. As you say, though, the nutritional content as regards veg would be very low to non-existent.

I read about the 2:5 fast, and there being rather too much of me thought I'd try it. I'm pleased to say it is working.
            That's great news mangerton - it's good when you find something that works AND doesn't make you feel punished or weird

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

I occasionally (tho not for a couple of years now) do a week's fast based on a Swiss fasting clinic routine - a broth based on pretty much the above is the mainstay for the week (I add some fennel seeds as that aniseed flavour adds constant interest for me).

[First day: eat only apples and drink only water and make broth; days 2 - 6, one cup of the broth plus unlimited water during the day and some diluted fruit juice, plus black tea with a small spoon of honey if desired; day 7, gentle return to solids (couple of ryvita with light cottage cheese; plus any broth remaining)... Really makes one feel amazing (you need a bit more sleep, and a bit of extra clothing to keep warm if it's not summer) and I lose the best part of a stone. And once I had the routine health check just after and was called back to re-do the cholesterol as all my values were below the minimum, they thought there was an error - during the fast, the body strips the blood of fats etc. Recommended.]
              I did something similar a few years ago and coincidentally had blood tests and BP check and the results were amazing. Will think about doing it again. After all, 7 days is not too long.

Comment

fresh tagliatelle with chestnut mushrooms, leeks, pancetta, garlic. Forgot to buy creme fraiche. so a dollop of cream cheese with garlic stirred in with some pasta cooking liquid
                It'll be totally lush!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                  I did something similar a few years ago and coincidentally had blood tests and BP check and the results were amazing. Will think about doing it again. After all, 7 days is not too long.
                  It is in politics.

Roast chicken.
                  Debussy preludes.

Debauched, i know.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Spiced Parsnip soup.

to go with:

Cecilia Bartoli Live in Italy.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      Spiced Parsnip soup.

to go with:

Cecilia Bartoli Live in Italy.
                      Wouldn't pickled onions be more apt?

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                        Wouldn't pickled onions be more apt?

I have no idea what you are on about, @noggo, but no change there.

Cockney rhyming slang, or just unsubstantiated rumours?

You can't knock Cecilia in our house !!

What are you rustling up tonight, anyway?

Comment

Now making vegetable soup. Just had peri-peri chicken etc, prepared for my family using my secret method.

Edit: is it piri pri???

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            I have no idea what you are on about, @noggo, but no change there.

Cockney rhyming slang, or just unsubstantiated rumours?

You can't knock Cecilia in our house !!

What are you rustling up tonight, anyway?
                            A touch of gentle persiflage, TS. She's not to everyone's taste. I think I was aiming at 'vinegary'. Perhaps I should have plumped for Marmite.

Throppers has a night off from the stove ce soir. Mme. Thropplenoggin has prepared a bœuf à la Bourguignonne.

It loved to happen. -- Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Enjoy the beef, @noggo.

This will aid the digestion !!

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                                Now making vegetable soup. Just had peri-peri chicken etc, prepared for my family using my secret method.

Edit: is it piri pri???
                                It is in Nando's

I'm told

Comment

Working...
                                X