Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    Have enjoyed a couple of tots of Talisker Storm this very evening. I love it - smoke but not too much, and such body you can practically chew it. I always grab it when it is on offer in Tesco - at around £30.
    I have to agree. A fine dram.

OG

Comment

Penderyn is a lovely Whisky - a full, powerful flavour leaving a lovely almondy aftertaste, and a truly wonderful afterglow: delicious. Horrified to read that RT must have been given a duff (but not Miltonduff) sample - perhaps whoever had the other half of the bottle had a better experience.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Penderyn is a lovely Whisky - a full, powerful flavour leaving a lovely almondy aftertaste, and a truly wonderful afterglow: delicious. Horrified to read that RT must have been given a duff (but not Miltonduff) sample - perhaps whoever had the other half of the bottle had a better experience.
        It’s just possible he really doesn’t like the taste. I like some whiskies which I’m well aware that others do not like. There might not have been anything wrong with the sample he tried, but that doesn’t invalidate his response.

We are not, after all, insisting that everyone likes Mozart’s or Glass’s music.

Comment

It is very sweet (although I once had an Indian single malt that was even sweeter). I quite like it, but I have to be in the right mood

Comment

Penderyn,hmmm
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              Penderyn,hmmm

Like Welsh tartan (invented 1967) and Welsh kilts, there's something not quite right about it.

Comment

Like Welsh tartan (invented 1967) and Welsh kilts, there's something not quite right about it.
                ... unlike those 19th century frauds dreamt up by W Scott for the benefit of English tourists and the German textile industry, the scotch kilts and tartans?

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  ... unlike those 19th century frauds dreamt up by W Scott for the benefit of English tourists and the German textile industry, the scotch kilts and tartans?
                  Erm....not entirely the case. I give you the Raeburn portrait, painted in 1812, of Alastair Ranaldson MacDonell, 15th chief of Glengarry. He was a friend of Scott's, to be sure, but he was merely reviving traditions supressed by the Hanoverian usurpers after the '45. He was the inspiration for the character of Fergus MacIvor in Sottt's first novel, Waverley, published in 1817. OK the tartan industry did rather proliferate in the 19thC (with a bit of help from Prince Albert) but its roots are genuine enough. The thirteenth chief of Glengarry, Alasdair Ruadh (d.1761), was painted by an unknown artist wearing the same tartan, but I only have B&W reproductions of that.

My kilt is of the same tartan, though modern dyes are a lot brighter

Alastair's younger brother James led the defence of Hougoumont at Waterloo

Comment

... just like Morris Dancing.

We are so good at Inventing Tradition....

Comment

We are so good at Inventing Tradition....
                      In this case, it was a revival of something that had been banned half a century earlier by government edict, as I pointed out. You might as well compare tartan to Celtic languages. OK, clanship had been in long decline starting with James VI/I, clan-based society undermined by conquest, acquisition, crown charters, marriage – the realities of history were in conflict with beliefs in consanguinity, as TM Devine puts it in his recent book. But the older clan tartans were genuine enough. I regret the proliferation of phoney ones.

Comment

... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tartanry

Comment

Precisely - as I was saying....

there are strong, legitimate cultural traditions behind Scottish clan societies and the older textile designs that preceded the modern tartans

I wouldn't disagree with anything here.

Comment

... it may have old roots - but what we have now is mainly a xixth cent invention.

" Until the middle of the nineteenth century, the highland tartans were only associated with either regions or districts, rather than any specific Scottish clan. This was because like other materials, tartan designs were produced by local weavers for local tastes and would usually only use the natural dyes available in that area, as synthetic dye production was non-existent and transportation of other dye materials across long distances was prohibitively expensive. The patterns were simply different regional checked-cloth patterns, chosen by the wearer's preference—in the same way as people nowadays choose what colours and patterns they like in their clothing, without particular reference to propriety.It was not until the mid-nineteenth century that many patterns were created and artificially associated with Scottish clans, families, or institutions who were (or wished to be seen as) associated in some way with a Scottish heritage. The Victorians' penchant for ordered taxonomy and the new chemical dyes then available meant that the idea of specific patterns of bright colours, or "dress" tartans, could be created and applied to a faux-nostalgic view of Scottish history...."

I see that the modern kilt was invented by an Englishman, a Lancashire quaker, in 1720...

Last edited by vinteuil; 28-03-19, 15:35.

Comment

I see that the modern kilt was invented by an Englishman, a Lancashire quaker, in 1720...
                              (Sorry - been out in the sunshire for a couple of hours )

I love the description of Lord Claybody (an English industrialist who has bought himself a Highland estate) in John Macnab - At this point Lord Claybody entered, magnificent in a kilt of fawn-coloured tweed and a ferocious sporran made of the mask of a dog otter. The garments, which were aggressively new, did not become his short, square figure. The portrait of the Prince Regent in your earlier link I think glosses over the fact that he was wearing flesh-coloured tights under his kilt, though cartoonists of the time did not miss this detail.

Comment

(

I love the description of Lord Claybody (an English industrialist who has bought himself a Highland estate) in John Macnab - At this point Lord Claybody entered, magnificent in a kilt of fawn-coloured tweed and a ferocious sporran made of the mask of a dog otter. The garments, which were aggressively new, did not become his short, square figure. .
                                ... I hope you're reading it in the penguin edn with my father's bookjacket :

Comment

Working...
                                X