Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
    ... I hope you're reading it in the penguin edn with my father's bookjacket :

I may have had that once - had some of the others - alas no a dastardly reprint.......

Comment

I recently had a birthday for which my son, knowing my partiality to peaty Islay malts, very generously bought me a bottle of Ardbeg Corryvreckan. In my humble opinion, single malts don't come any better than this. It has all the thick slabs of peat and the punch of the standard 10-year-old expression, but with an added complexity at every point of delivery - nose, taste and finish. A truly great malt.

At the same time I acquired another malt that is entirely new to me: Ailsa Bay Sweet Smoke release 1.2 (48.9% abv). Ailsa Bay is a fairly new distillery and this malt does not carry an age statement, but it is none the worse for that. Despite being a lowland malt, the Sweet Smoke expression was apparently intended to provide a peat experience on a level with, but distinct from, that of Islay. I was delighted to agree with Jim Murray that they have been only partially successful. This could very easily be mistaken for a genuine Islay malt. Even tasted head to head with the awesome Corryvreckan it still holds its head high (although I find the abv verging on the vindictive and like to water it down to around 46%). A wonderful discovery to which I shall most certainly return, stocks permitting.

Comment

Vox Humana, sounds good.

I see that in The Whisky Exchange, that iir, have released by different distillers, whisky being named after various characters or lands after Game of Thrones!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post

I see that in The Whisky Exchange, that iir, have released by different distillers, whisky being named after various characters or lands after Game of Thrones!
          Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ?

This (again?)

Just occasionally, we organ builders will be asked to produce something rather out of the ordinary. In June of 2013, we received a telephone call from a firm

Comment

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ? Why oh why ?

This (again?)

https://mander-organs.com/the-flavour-conductor/
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Having finished off a long-lasting bottle of Bushmills 10 Year Single Malt Whiskey on Friday Night, I went in search of any potential promotions yesterday. I struck lucky at my first port of call, Sainsbury. They are currently selling the 70ml bottles for £25, a 30% reduction on their usual price. With my low rate of consumption, 2 bottles should do me until the next discounted offer.

Comment

Had my first dram of Linkwood to see in the New Year - a 15yr-old: very pleasant, indeed - smokey, warming, and with that hint of seaweed/creosote that always delights me. I shall be returning to this whisky!

(Mind you - it's pretty strong stuff: this morning I could have sworn I saw a purple bear conducting the VPO!)
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Celebrated the start of the New Year with a dram of The Lakes Whiskymaker's Reserve No 2 and very nice it was too. Not cheap at £65 a bottle, but it is at cask strength (60.9 percent).

OG

Comment

I had the pleasure of opening two single malts at Christmas. The first was Port Askaig 100% proof, a peated malt from Islay. It's a 'mystery malt' in that there's no Port Askaig distillery, but it's very obviously a Caol Ila - and one of the finest expressions I've had. Superlative! The other was a 1 ltr bottle of anCnoc Rùdhan. This is their latest peated expression, a little more lightweight than the sublime and late lamented Rutter and Rascan versions. It may be only available in duty free shops and by mail order, but if you like peat do search it out - you'll like it.

Comment

Something to remember when I win the lottery.
                      A group of scientists turned sleuths in Scotland who developed a way to test the age of Scotch whisky have found that a lot of the vintage spirits aren’t anywhere nearly as old as advertised.

Comment

Drank a fair bit of a bottle of Maker's Mark American Bourbon whiskey 90 proof the other night. Quite a tasty alternative to my usual tipple (Highland Park).

This winter warmer was most welcome on what was a rather cold evening. I think I must have sat in a draft because I had quite a neuralgia in my head the next morning.I should take more care.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix The Gnat View Post
                          Drank a fair bit of a bottle of Maker's Mark American Bourbon whiskey 90 proof the other night. Quite a tasty alternative to my usual tipple (Highland Park).

This winter warmer was most welcome on what was a rather cold evening. I think I must have sat in a draft because I had quite a neuralgia in my head the next morning.I should take more care.
                          Adding an "e" and in due deference to http://www.for3.org/forums/showthrea...159#post777159 , I will opt for a "large Bushmills", though the 10 Year Malt, rather than the bog-standard blended stuff ordered in the film.

Comment

O.k., it's not that cold but just uncorked the Dalwhinnie Winter Gold. Hmm. Nice. From Waitrose & Partnetrs of course. No point paying Tesco's price.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              O.k., it's not that cold but just uncorked the Dalwhinnie Winter Gold. Hmm. Nice. From Waitrose & Partnetrs of course. No point paying Tesco's price.
                              That's really nice drop of Scotch

Comment

Originally posted by Felix the Gnat View Post

Better move out of that draft, you'll end up in Iraq!

Comment

Working...
                                X