Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My mate’s ambition was to be mown down down by a steam train. When it actually happened, he was chuffed to bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      My mate’s ambition was to be mown down down by a steam train. When it actually happened, he was chuffed to bits.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I regularly made the Intercity 125 journey from Paddington to Malvern on a Friday evening. As a treat to myself, I'd stump up the extra and go comfy class. Invariably, there would have been a week of delays and to make up for the hassle quite often a bottle of decent plonk was handed out gratis to the occupants of comfy class. Not having suffered the hassle - being a weekend commuter - the bottle was all the sweeter.

The other bonus was that invariably the train would be a bit late after leaving Worcester and so to try and make up a few minutes would go flat out through some very narrow cuttings on the way to Malvern. Suitably fortified with complimentary red wine, gingery sticking ones head out of the window into the gale gave a bit of an adrenalin rush.
        Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

This from today's York Press:

A UNION claims the ticket office at York railway station will be shut down and replaced with an entirely self-service area.
          Last edited by Pulcinella; 13-05-17, 11:10. Reason: Link provided rather than material cut and pasted.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            This from today's York Press (online version: hope I'm not breaking copyright by copying and pasting here!).
            It is really, though not all publications jump on you as quickly as The Times: the link is here.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              It is really, though not all publications jump on you as quickly as The Times: the link is here.
              Sorry!
              I should just have posted the link with an introductory comment.
              Thanks.

Comment

Sorry!
                I should just have posted the link with an introductory comment.
                Thanks.
                I was just responding to your 'hope' The Times did, on one occasion contact us and demand the copy be removed. I imagine they run things through their system and check for sources that come up as quoting a passage. Or it may have been that the writer of the article was reading the forum and reported us to their legal department
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Like many other people, I try to use the services of an actual person when buying tickets etc.

It is very frustrating when we( customers, citizens, whatever) are told what we want, by people whose motive is clearly profit. The recent/current Southern Trains farce is a great example of this.
                  I strongly suspect that most passengers would rather pay a little more, and have a second staff member on board. I certainly would.*

* even if it it the grumpy wotsit who checks tickets on a certain morning train to London from my area.....

Anyway, on happier matters, does anybody use Rover type tickets?
                  The Severn/Solent rover, 3 in 7 or 8 in 15 looks excellent value, and covers a pretty decent sized area.
                  Last edited by teamsaint; 13-05-17, 11:28.
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
                    He wouldn't have been if he'd been on the sleeper!

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                      I regularly made the Intercity 125 journey from Paddington to Malvern on a Friday evening. As a treat to myself, I'd stump up the extra and go comfy class. Invariably, there would have been a week of delays and to make up for the hassle quite often a bottle of decent plonk was handed out gratis to the occupants of comfy class. Not having suffered the hassle - being a weekend commuter - the bottle was all the sweeter.

The other bonus was that invariably the train would be a bit late after leaving Worcester and so to try and make up a few minutes would go flat out through some very narrow cuttings on the way to Malvern. Suitably fortified with complimentary red wine, gingery sticking ones head out of the window into the gale gave a bit of an adrenalin rush.
                      I was going to say it could have given you a head start, but it would have been the other way around, wound't it?!

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                        Suitably fortified with complimentary red wine, gingery sticking ones head out of the window into the gale gave a bit of an adrenalin rush.
                        Ah, so you're that mad red head are you?
                        (Not that I've ever seen you doing this!)
                        Last edited by Pulcinella; 13-05-17, 13:23.

Comment

A train related trivia question , for fun.
                          Apparently there is just one station on the London Underground network, from which you can reach any other station with no more than one change.
                          Any guesses ? No googling ,or PM ing Beefy !!
                          Clue, it is in East London.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Apparently there is just one station on the London Underground network, from which you can reach any other station with no more than one change.
                            Liverpool Lime Street?

EDIT - well, you said not to look! :laugh" - I meant, of course, "Liverpool Street"; but now I've checked, it's obviously wrong even when corrected!

I think I can see which one it might be, but I'll let others express their interest.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Don't do London, ts!

Comment

Ah, so you're that mad red head are you?
                                (Not that I've ever seen you doing this!)
                                We wouldn't want to lose our heads over this, would we?

Comment

Working...
                                X