Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    Anyway, we're off on our hols in a couple of weeks, and we're going to head up to Scotland on the Caledonian Sleeper. Friday night each way, and short of £50 pp, each way ( booked a long time in advance), with a two together railcard. Really looking forward to that, sipping a nice single malt as the capital slips away, and we glide north. Or something.
    Whilst in Scotland, I'm also planning another Mallaig to Fort William rail trip ( just gorgeous scenery), and also a run from Kyle of Lochalsh to Inverness.
    Late to this thread, but that takes me back - to 1970, after my finals but before the results. I took myself up to Scotland on the train - the overnighter from Kings Cross on the West Highland Line. I got off the train at Bridge of Orchy and walked through Glencoe (the footpath above the road) to the youth hostel....then on to Fort William and the train to Mallaig, getting off at Arisaig to walk up the lovely coastline to Mallaig. The Glenfinnan Viaduct is one of the wonders of the world (a few years earlier I'd attended the Glenfinnan Highland Games, presided over by Cameron of Lochiel). I crossed to Skye on the Armadale ferry, then bus up to Broadford where I explored for a day walking across to Lochs Slapin and Eishort. This was the year after Gavin Maxwell had died, and I wanted to see Sandaig, the real-life Camusféarna, so I set off the following day along the road from Broadford to the Kylerhea Ferry. A car stopped for me - it was none other than Maxwell's friend and vet who used to attend the otters. He dropped me off in Glenelg, where I stayed with a lovely forester and deerstalker and his wife, who sang the Mingulay Boat Song while she was cooking....and walked down to Sandaig on an idyllically perfect day. Eventually I made my way to Kyle of Lochalsh and so back to London on the train.....

My results were waiting....

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
      Anyone for a round of Mornington Crescent?
      Yes - ahinton in #31
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Ah yes. I missed that.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
          Yes - ahinton in #31
          EA was probably thinking about a different version...

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            EA was probably thinking about a different version...
            Oh - surely not the dreaded Tufnell Park Rules?!

(That, combined with the Dollis Hill manoeuvre, was what made me give up professional Crescenting. )

Comment

You can still do it if you don't cross the diagonal.

Comment

Oh - surely not the dreaded Tufnell Park Rules?!
                ... funny you shd mention that. Number one son and partner are contemplating a move from Tufnell Park to Mile End - and I can now amaze them with TeamSaint's (many thanks for both quiz and solution!) wonderfully useful fact concerning the connectivity of Mile End...

My move : Turnham Green

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  Latimer Road.

Comment

Latimer Road.
                    Drop some flowers outside Grenfell while there.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      A train related trivia question , for fun.
                      Apparently there is just one station on the London Underground network, from which you can reach any other station with no more than one change.
                      Any guesses ? No googling ,or PM ing Beefy !!
                      Clue, it is in East London.
                      I assume that we have "all" now checked that the solution is correct, and that the suggestion is also the "only" one. I haven't - yet!

I did wonder what kind of Train Chat this thread might be about. Perhaps conversations heard while on trains, or maybe even those messages we see in the Metro "The guy with the brown raincoat and the beard on the 10.42 from Paddington ....."
                      "The girl who smiled at me in the third carriage on the Circle Line at about 8.33pm going towards Victoria ...."
                      "Fancy a drink - the guy with the smart suit who nearly spilled coffee over me at Charing Cross ...."
                      Etc.
                      Last edited by Dave2002; 09-09-17, 23:45.

Comment

That was one of my local stations for a short while. Tended to prompt questions such as "How do you get to Turnham Green?"
                        Fill in your own answers.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          That was one of my local stations for a short while. Tended to prompt questions such as "How do you get to Turnham Green?"
                          Fill in your own answers.
                          Get some blues and yellows together.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Get some blues and yellows together.
                            ... I know the way to Turnham Green - and it's a bit more imaginative than that. And much more painful...

Comment

... I know the way to Turnham Green - and it's a bit more imaginative than that. And much more painful...
                              Indeed - but for that, one has to know the correct way to Oldham.

Comment

And iirc not all trains going through stopped there; you had to be careful which train/line you were on at different times of day. Perhaps you still do!

Comment

Working...
                                X