Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
    We wouldn't want to lose our heads over this, would we?
    Well, without looking it up, I did know that it couldn't be Mornington Crescent.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      A train related trivia question , for fun.
      Apparently there is just one station on the London Underground network, from which you can reach any other station with no more than one change.
      Any guesses ? No googling ,or PM ing Beefy !!
      Clue, it is in East London.
      Non trivial. First guess Canning Town, or am I Barking up the wrong tree?

Comment

... my guess wd be Liverpool Street, a pretty nodal point on the metropolitan / hammersmith & city / circle / central lines...

Comment

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... my guess wd be Liverpool Street, a pretty nodal point on the metropolitan / hammersmith & city / circle / central lines...

It would take longer than I have to work out. But my guess is that it would have to be somewhere central on the system, linking a maximum number of different lines. So I'm going for Kings Cross St Pancras.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            It would take longer than I have to work out. But my guess is that it would have to be somewhere central on the system, linking a maximum number of different lines. So I'm going for Kings Cross St Pancras.
            Not really "East London", is it? (Genuine question - I lived in Leyton for three years and King's X seemed a good journey into central London.)

I think vinty's closer.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

... tho' I don't think you could reach Kensington Olympia with only one change from L'pool St.

Comment

... tho' I don't think you could reach Kensington Olympia with only one change from L'pool St.

Unless that line no longer goes from High St Ken (as it once did), your one change would be there, from Circle to Kensington Olympia.

(I can remember when the rolling stock doors on that line were operated manually by the passengers. Quite a biceps-strengthening exercise, I'm telling you!)

Comment

Surely with some effort it should be possible to work this out. I'm wondering if using projective geometry and the duality theorem would make finding a solution easier. A puzzle - something for later.

Comment

Just for clarity ,I think the question is only the underground lines, so probably not including the DLR or the overground.
                    It almost by definition has to be at an interchange, and an interchange that it doesn't share with any other station, so not, for example, Barbican or Faringdon which both share 3 lines.
                    I don't think that leaves that many options in East London, hopefully.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

It isn't Liverpool Street, though that would probably have been my guess too, give the East London clue.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

Bank, then, with a B - allowing Monyument to be included with it as one by virtue of the escalator link.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Bank, then, with a B - allowing Monyument to be included with it as one by virtue of the escalator link.
                          I think your Bank / Monument answer is likely workable, S-A, but I think the pub quiz police would say they are two stations. You are on the right lines though.....

Incidentally, what started this off was yet another search for a comprehensive guide to which line changes on the system are quick, and which aren't. I still can't find a good one.

EG, yesterday, I needed to change at Westminster or Embankment to get to Waterloo, and knowing that the changes at Embankment are pretty quick, I plumped for that, even though it was one stop further. The Jubilee line interchanges often seem to be very long, presumably due to the line being deeper than the others?

Comment

Right,as everybody has lost interest, I shall reveal the answer, which in time honoured tradition, is less interesting than the question, or seeking the answer.........
                            So next time you find yourself at Mile End, you'll know that with just one change , you can get yourself anywhere on the underground network.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              Right,as everybody has lost interest, I shall reveal the answer, which in time honoured tradition, is less interesting than the question, or seeking the answer.........
                              So next time you find yourself at Mile End, you'll know that with just one change , you can get yourself anywhere on the underground network.
                              Ah! So it does (my earlier reference to "interest" was because, like S_A, I was thinking "Bank") - and to think that I used to pass through it quite regularly without giving it any further thought than "Not this one" and/or "another couple of stops then change at Liverpool Street for Barbican".
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Anyone for a round of Mornington Crescent?

Comment

Working...
                                X