Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two reports from the BBC website a) about the fact that News International has settled a large number of court cases arising from the News of the World's phone-hacking; and b) some statements from some of the phone-hacking victims giving detail of the extraordinary lengths that NoW's employees and agents went to:

a) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16629036

b) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16634365

Comment

Met police search News International's headquarters in Wapping as four current and former Sun employees are arrested

Met police search News International's headquarters in Wapping as four current and former Sun employees are arrested

Comment

Two posts, almost ten days apart, both from Amateur 51. :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

What a lively debate.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
          Two posts, almost ten days apart, both from Amateur 51. :yawn::yawn::yawn::yawn:

What a lively debate.
          Not a lot to debate, they're in it up to their necks, with more to come --end of story!

Comment

Teeters on a knife edge....

....ready to go at any moment....

Dam Busters have been already....just a bit of tidying up to be done

>>Two posts, almost ten days apart<<....the penalty being taken slowly....Keith Vas shoots....and scores....
            bong ching

Comment

Intriguing new developments:

Nick Davies: The arrest of four Sun journalists threatens to open a fresh phase of the scandal surrounding News International

Nick Davies has worded this very carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                Intriguing new developments:

Nick Davies: The arrest of four Sun journalists threatens to open a fresh phase of the scandal surrounding News International

Nick Davies has worded this very carefully.
                Nice one, kernel & Nick Davies! :ok:

I don't know about Mr Pee (well I do, but ...:laugh:)but I think this is all fascinating stuff! :smiley:
                Last edited by Guest; 30-01-12, 09:37. Reason: unleash that smiley

Comment

There's nothing about the arrests in the Saturday Times, and a front page left column extending to page 3 with a small headline in the Sunday Times, which does not mention the words Murdoch or News International anywhere. I wonder why ?

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    There's nothing about the arrests in the Saturday Times, and a front page left column extending to page 3 with a small headline in the Sunday Times, which does not mention the words Murdoch or News International anywhere. I wonder why ?
                    Good point. I have no idea why the Sunday Times thought this was worthy of a space on the front page, when there are much more important things going on in the world, unlike this, which is of interest only to a steadily dwindling number of obsessives. The Nick Davies article linked to above seems to consist mainly of speculation and vague predictions. :yawn:
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Good point. I have no idea why the Sunday Times thought this was worthy of a space on the front page, when there are much more important things going on in the world, unlike this, which is of interest only to a steadily dwindling number of obsessives. The Nick Davies article linked to above seems to consist mainly of speculation and vague predictions. :yawn:
                      It's one of the most important stories around but you're choosing to cast doubt on it for your own reasons, Mr Pee.

You've allowed your antipathy to the BBC to cloud your 'thought' processes :smiley:

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        It's one of the most important stories around but you're choosing to cast doubt on it for your own reasons, Mr Pee.

You've allowed your antipathy to the BBC to cloud your 'thought' processes :smiley:
                        I don't have any antipathy toward the BBC. I don't know what gave you that idea. I do have antipathy toward stories such as the one above by Nick Davies, which is 99% speculation disguised as news. If you take out the number of sentences that include the words "may be", "possibly", "may yet" "could be/ could have been", then it would have been a very short article indeed.

Still, such guff keeps Guardian hacks off the streets I suppose. :erm:

Mark Twain.

Comment

There is indeed a number of other "important things going on in the world" right now, but it remains difficult to equate your alleged "dwindling number of obsessives" with the hundreds of millions of emails referred to by the journalist here (unless you think that he's making that up). Mr Davies' article does indeed amount to no more than speculation as far as it goes - indeed, he is laudably clear in emphasising that he is claiming it to be no more than that for the time being - but it is speculation based upon actual and forthcoming police activity which, as it is funded by taxpayers, is of interest to us all as we have a shareholding in it and its outcome; given the sheer scale of what faces the police, the courts, the Leveson enquiry and the rest, coming on top of what we do actually know and what has already been done, this looks set to be an operation that could cost tens - possibly even hundreds - of millions of pounds and drag on for years. If you, as a taxpaying British citizen, are nevertheless not remotely interested in that fact and prefer to try to hide behind the notion that this is all being done for and around a bunch of cranks rather in conscientious endeavours to uncover what might be the largest quantity of criminal activity ever encountered in a single case in British legal history, then more fool you.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                            There is indeed a number of other "important things going on in the world" right now, but it remains difficult to equate your alleged "dwindling number of obsessives" with the hundreds of millions of emails referred to by the journalist here (unless you think that he's making that up). Mr Davies' article does indeed amount to no more than speculation as far as it goes - indeed, he is laudably clear in emphasising that he is claiming it to be no more than that for the time being - but it is speculation based upon actual and forthcoming police activity which, as it is funded by taxpayers, is of interest to us all as we have a shareholding in it and its outcome; given the sheer scale of what faces the police, the courts, the Leveson enquiry and the rest, coming on top of what we do actually know and what has already been done, this looks set to be an operation that could cost tens - possibly even hundreds - of millions of pounds and drag on for years. If you, as a taxpaying British citizen, are nevertheless not remotely interested in that fact and prefer to try to hide behind the notion that this is all being done for and around a bunch of cranks rather in conscientious endeavours to uncover what might be the largest quantity of criminal activity ever encountered in a single case in British legal history, then more fool you.
                            Well said, ahinton, I was a bit peeved at Mr Pee's typically perverse twist on my message 503, but didn't think it worth a reply.

Comment

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              Hear! hear! :ok:

Comment

Mr Pee is Rebekah Brooks & I claim my £5 :laugh:

(& speaking of Rebekah, I see that she is on 'maternity leave'. I thought you only got maternity leave if you had something to be on leave from, like a job?)

Comment

Working...
                                X