X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
    It isn't news now. It's mind-numbingly boring and predictable.
    Yes I have to say I find the sexuality threads very boring.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Like so many straight people of my acquaintance. ( Most of them have remained so for what seems to be half my lifetime )

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

A useful definition of 'current affairs' - 'events of political or social interest and importance happening in the world at the present time'. I shall move this to the appropriate forum where people can pick up the discussion if they wish.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Karafan
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          You're wrong, you know - it is news - & quite important news to a lot of people. Just because you don't geddit doesn't mean that it isn't.
          Agreed, Flossy!:ale::ok:
          "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• Beef Oven!
            Ex-member
            • Sep 2013

Wasn't even much of a story in the first place. On a par with the latest Katie Hopkins story, i.e. a non-story.

The media, and particularly social media, follows a simple format these days. A 'story' is found and people can show how in-touch, modern and human they are or the story is such that it gives people the opportunity to do the same thing, but in a manner that is aggressive. Never has the pushing of people's buttons or the pulling of their levers been so simple and cynical.

We are much more superficial as a species than we'd imagined.

Comment

• Mr Pee
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post

And what has this got to do with the forum?
              Absolutely nothing whatsoever, despite your tenous attempts to drag in Britten.

However, it has plenty to do with your favourite subject, namely your own sexuality, which you insist on flaunting at every opportunity. I am sure there are plenty of "Gay" forums where you could bang on about all this till the cows come home.

Give it a rest.
              Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                Yes I have to say I find the sexuality threads very boring.
                Politically correct emoticon:-

<thumbs up>
                Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

No it is news - it is all over the world news. It shouldn't be but it is .

The reason being that gay, bisexual and lesbian sportsmen and women generally feel they cannot come out because of possible hostility from audiences , sponsors , team members managers etc .

I think Matthews Parris ( for whom I generally have very little time ) has a point that there is an element of passive homophobia about denying this is news . It smacks of look we don't lock gays up any more - why cannot they just keep quiet .

Regrettably. it seems that this also appears to be the approach of many on this forum - largely it seems those who were brought up before 1967 which I suppose is unsurprising if depressing.
                  Last edited by Barbirollians; 04-12-13, 02:05.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

The reason being that gay, bisexual and lesbian sportsmen and women generally feel they cannot come out because of possible hostility from audiences , sponsors , team members managers etc .

I think Matthews Parris ( for whom I generally have very little time ) has a point that there is an element of passive homophobia about denying this is news . It smacks of look we don't lock gays up any more - why cannot they just keep quiet .

Regrettably. it seems that this also appears to be the approach of many on this forum - largely it seems those who were brought up before 1967 which I suppose is unsurprising if depressing.
                    Good points well put, Barbs - many thanks.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Barbirollians, thank you for that. It seems to me that one of the most important things about what defines us all as individuals is the nature and strength of our relationships with others, whatever those relationships may be.Those who complain that gays on these boards are rattling on and on unnecessarily are quite unaware of the sense of liberation we feel after such a long time, even if there is more to be achieved.

I have been very fortunate, and have been able to be open in my life, although when my partner and I first met we could have been arrested and sent to prison just for being who we are. Young people today have more access to advice, but to grow into adulthood feeling that you cannot acknowledge your partner's existence to others often arouses deep feelings of guilt. If I had been unable to talk about all the shared interests, travel adventures and so forth that I shared with my partner I would have felt that I was in a sense dishonouring him.

If Tom Daley has set a standard for emotional honesty, which I feel he has, This is really important, not just another bit of celebrity news. So much of the debate about sexuality centres on self respect, and he has shown that.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                        Absolutely nothing whatsoever, despite your tenous attempts to drag in Britten.

However, it has plenty to do with your favourite subject, namely your own sexuality, which you insist on flaunting at every opportunity. I am sure there are plenty of "Gay" forums where you could bang on about all this till the cows come home.

Give it a rest.
                        Rather sickening that this little man is glorifying war and its effects on human beings on another thread, but when it comes down to a man telling the world he's in love with another man he gets all squeamish and censorious.

Funny old world, as Bns Thatcher observed.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

A very good point, & one that's applicable to some on this forum. I remember Mathew Paris' own bravery in coming out in the Commons during the debate on extending the provisions of the 1967 Act to Northern Ireland

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                            A useful definition of 'current affairs' - 'events of political or social interest and importance happening in the world at the present time'. I shall move this to the appropriate forum where people can pick up the discussion if they wish.
                            Oh dear - more cleansing. I wonder how many other threads on 'Platform 3' should be moved?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Rather sickening that this little man is glorifying war and its effects on human beings on another thread, but when it comes down to a man telling the world he's in love with another man he gets all squeamish and censorious.

Funny old world, as Bns Thatcher observed.
                              I'm not squeamish or censorius, I'm just bored to death by the endless trumpeting of homosexualism on these boards by you. Any possible excuse to drag in your sexual preference, and you're all over it like a rash.

As I said:- Give it a rest.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                                Young people today have more access to advice, but to grow into adulthood feeling that you cannot acknowledge your partner's existence to others often arouses deep feelings of guilt. If I had been unable to talk about all the shared interests, travel adventures and so forth that I shared with my partner I would have felt that I was in a sense dishonouring him.
                                Thanks Ferret - to be honest to one who not being gay has never had to face homophobia, this had never occurred to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X