Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    Do you have any way of reducing the size before you try to upload it? There is a limit of 80px x 80, but I thought the sytem resized it automatically. Perhaps it was just too large for that.
    What surprised me was that they both were 'sourced' from my iPad photo library, albeit one from several years ago and the other taken just yesterday.

I've upgraded my iPad in the meantime, so perhaps it's related to better resolution in the later picture.

Comment

Would it be possible to enlarge the blue double-arrow icon? It seems rather small for such an important function.

Comment

• Bryn
        Bryn commented
        Editing a comment
        The blue double arrow icon can be enlarged locally by the same methods used for enlarging any screen item. I use the spreading fingers on my laptop touchpad method but other modes have been described here. That said, i don;t find the blue double arrow icon very useful. It seems to bring up fairly old posts as being the most recent.
        Last edited by Bryn; 25-07-23, 11:42.

That is all well and good on a touchscreen (though such an enlarging action would be unnecessary if the icon were bigger) but not so on a monitor.

Comment

• Bryn
        Bryn commented
        Editing a comment
        If using Windows 10, try highlighting the blue double arrow icon and then press Ctrl + (i.e. hold down the Ctrl key and press the + key). Repeated presses further enlarge whatever is highlighted.

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
      Would it be possible to enlarge the blue double-arrow icon? It seems rather small for such an important function.
      I'm not sure it's any smaller than it used to be. But I've found that having set my 'mode' (User Settings) to Latest Activity rather than Posts, i get what I'm looking for (latest post) by clickimg on the topic title (again) rather than the blue icon.
      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thank you to FF and Bryn for your suggestions, neither of which, I'm sad to say, are quite what I'm looking for. I will grit my teeth and adapt, having no wish to add to the backroom boys' (and gal's) workload. 😀

Comment

One appears to be logged out automatically after a period of no activity. Is this the case? Unlike the old board I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lordgeous View Post
            One appears to be logged out automatically after a period of no activity. Is this the case? Unlike the old board I believe.
            I'm not sure about this. There is a limit on a 'session' of inactivity. Does that apply if you've clicked on Remember Me? It seems to be set on 900 secs = 15 minutes. I don't know why, but I suppose it could be changed. I'll try and find out why there's a default limit.

Edit: This seems to be a discussion about it. Unfortunately I haven't a clue what it all means. Perhaps Andrew will get to the bottom of it.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

My post no.155 should end in a smile emoji but instead a question mark has appeared out of the blue. This seems to be a bug. I mention it lest FF and Bryn think my reply to them was curt.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitch View Post
                My post no.155 should end in a smile emoji but instead a question mark has appeared out of the blue. This seems to be a bug. I mention it lest FF and Bryn think my reply to them was curt.
                I don't see an emoji (or question mark) at all. Are you using : smiley : (without the spaces)?

Lordgeous: I was inactive for more than the 15 minutes but was still logged in.

Comment

I'm sorry the House Rules and Cookies sections are now so obtrusive. I clicked 'Exit without saving' but it saved anyway. Andrew will get it back to how it was . Partially solved

Last edited by french frank; 26-07-23, 02:56.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                    Andrew Slater commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm afraid it will have to wait until I have access to my desktop - I shudder to think what might happen if I tried from this mobile!

I don't see an emoji (or question mark) at all. Are you using : smiley : (without the spaces)?
                  I chose the smiley emoji from the drop-down menu. If I select "Edit", the smiley appears at the end of my message but it is replaced by a question mark when I save the message.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                    I'm afraid it will have to wait until I have access to my desktop - I shudder to think what might happen if I tried from this mobile!
                    I think I've fixed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                      Also (though it's of little consequence) we now don't see the whereabouts of a contributor, or the number of posts.
                      I might ask "why do you need [want] to know?"

If that's not shown next to a post, my guess is that if you really want to find out you can look at the user's profile.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Can I ask what the black tick next to this thread/topic (but no others) signifies?
                        Semi-solved. When I'm not logged in, I'm sent [sic] back to the start of this thread and a message has been posted immediately above Andrew's OP; it's actually oddoneout's No 119 in this thread (when you can see the numbers ). It has a black band above it with the text "Answer selected by Andrew Slater at 23-07-23, 07:56​". I have a suspicion it was not intentional.

All shall be clear
                        And all shall be clear
                        And all manner of things shall be clear

Meanwhile, I've discovered another administrative bug

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                          Andrew Slater commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It certainly was unintentional - not sure what I did. I'll undo it if I find out how ...

Do you have any way of reducing the size before you try to upload it? There is a limit of 80px x 80, but I thought the system resized it automatically. Perhaps it was just too large for that.
                        I posted on this topic in the Announcements/Reply with Quote thread a couple of months ago.Here's one relatively painless way to reduce the size of an image in a post.
                        • Ctrl-click on the image (or right click if on Windows) and save it to your local laptop or computer.
                        • In your browser, launch https://imageresizer.com/ -- a free online utility which does what it says on the tin.
                        • Drag the image from your laptop into the image resizer window. Once it's loaded the image will appear in another window which displays the image plus a pane for resize settings displaying the original dimensions of the image in pixels.
                        • Before changing any settings you'll probably want to tick the box labelled "lock aspect ratio" so that this is preserved in your resized image.
                        • You can then reduce the image by typing in different numbers into the "width" or "height" boxes or reduce it by a percentage of choice.
                        • Once this is done to your satisfaction you have the option to export the resized image in a number of formats including that of the original.

Comment

• french frank
                          french frank commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, I remember that. A very useful tip. I use GIMP and am happy once more now that I've reverted to a previous version (for Dummies) - couldn't get a grip on the new one!
                      Working...
                      X