Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
    The age and conservatism of many forum members...
    I assume that's a joke...if not, I don't think it's born out by the range of the contributions and, in any case, I wouldn't associate RVW 4 or 6 with conservatism!

Comment

I spoke to a group of twenty year olds after the RVW Prom. All of them knew and loved the 5th, two had heard the 6th before, and they all had been looking forward to hearing the 4th and had ben very impressed. I asked if they were music students, and they were not. In my experience there have been more young people at this year's Proms than I have ever before.

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        I asked if they were music students, and they were not.
        did you ask them if they listened to Radio 3 ?

[probably not the breakfast "show", that's a bit early]

Comment

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          I spoke to a group of twenty year olds after the RVW Prom. All of them knew and loved the 5th, two had heard the 6th before, and they all had been looking forward to hearing the 4th and had ben very impressed. I asked if they were music students, and they were not. In my experience there have been more young people at this year's Proms than I have ever before.
          What a cheering post, Ferret - many thanks

Comment

Originally posted by mercia View Post
            did you ask them if they listened to Radio 3 ?

[probably not the breakfast "show", that's a bit early]
            Probably not the Breakfast Show because it's crap.

Comment

Just to say the Concert is up on youtube now even if its 7 days on iplayer are over http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9YoEETzYsE
              "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Originally posted by Tristan Klingsor View Post
                Probably not the Breakfast Show because it's crap.
                I was going to say "naff", but yours is the more accurate, Tristan.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Curious that Rattle never touches this repertoire.

He was I believe knighted for services to British Music.

RVW declined a knighthood.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyTheCat View Post

interesting......in fact IIRC from what others have posted, most of the more recently knighted conductors don't do much RVW.(but I may have got that wrong).
                    A conspiracy theorists dream....does Rattle really not rate this body of work...or are there other reasons ?
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                      interesting......in fact IIRC from what others have posted, most of the more recently knighted conductors don't do much RVW.(but I may have got that wrong).
                      A conspiracy theorists dream....does Rattle really not rate this body of work...or are there other reasons ?
                      The only RVW works that I am aware Rattle has recorded are Songs of Travel, On Wenlock Edge and The Lark Ascending. He likes to record Thomas Ades though and ' pretend Bruckner ' symphonies

Comment

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                        The only RVW works that I am aware Rattle has recorded are Songs of Travel, On Wenlock Edge and The Lark Ascending. He likes to record Thomas Ades though and ' pretend Bruckner ' symphonies
                        The 4th and 7th only "pretend' Bruckner symphonies? Well I never.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyTheCat View Post

Did Handley conduct Bruckner? Did Boult conduct Janacek? Where's Hickox's Turangalila? Cut the guy some slack, for goodness' sake

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            The 4th and 7th only "pretend' Bruckner symphonies? Well I never.
                            indeed

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Did Handley conduct Bruckner? Did Boult conduct Janacek? Where's Hickox's Turangalila? Cut the guy some slack, for goodness' sake
                              speaking personally, I am just curious about it......its true to say that conductors have to made some tough choices.

Plus, i like a nice conspiracy theory...!!
                              Last edited by teamsaint; 22-08-12, 20:25.
                              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                Rattle conducted the RVW 5 in his Birmingham days as well as Flos Campi, the Tallis Fantasia and the Serenade to Music. And he played timps in the London Symphony. It's true, though, that RVW doesn't appeal to him and he knows that others will do it better. Fair enough. Haitink feels much the same way about Sibelius (though I see he has the Violin Concerto planned).
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X