Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Did Handley conduct Bruckner? Did Boult conduct Janacek? Where's Hickox's Turangalila? Cut the guy some slack, for goodness' sake
    Well said, Am 51

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
      Well said, Am 51
      Can't see the logic in this or the post it refers to.

Perhaps, naively, Gongs, ie Knighthoods should I believe be granted to those who have done great public service to Great Britain
      over a lifetime.

For the likes of Adrian Boult, Malcolm Sargeant, John Barbirolli et. al they were only granted them well into their their sixties and between them they certainly
      tackled Beethoven, Mahler, Bruckner and Sibelius symphonies but always held a torch for British composers.

Yes, The Rattle generation have no empathy for British symphonists but fortunately there are a lot of younger conductors on the scene now who want to embrace this music
      and echoing Ferret Fancys earlier post there are a lot of young listeners very receptive to it.

Btw AM51, Hickox recorded a fantastic Glagolitic Mass.

Regards all

FtC

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyTheCat View Post
        Curious that Rattle never touches this repertoire.

He was I believe knighted for services to British Music.

RVW declined a knighthood.
        Rattle has done relatively little British Music, Maybe a relief when I hear what he does to other great composers music and a once sound from a great orchestra. and as you say he gets a knighthood
        "Perfection is not attainable,but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence"

Comment

Why is the nationality of a composer so important that "honours" should be heaped on musicians who perform music written by people who happen to have been born in the same country as themselves? What happened to the idea that music brings people together irrespective of nationality?

Comment

Originally posted by FoxyTheCat View Post
            Can't see the logic in this or the post it refers to.

Perhaps, naively, Gongs, ie Knighthoods should I believe be granted to those who have done great public service to Great Britain
            over a lifetime.

For the likes of Adrian Boult, Malcolm Sargeant, John Barbirolli et. al they were only granted them well into their their sixties and between them they certainly
            tackled Beethoven, Mahler, Bruckner and Sibelius symphonies but always held a torch for British composers.

Yes, The Rattle generation have no empathy for British symphonists but fortunately there are a lot of younger conductors on the scene now who want to embrace this music
            and echoing Ferret Fancys earlier post there are a lot of young listeners very receptive to it.

Btw AM51, Hickox recorded a fantastic Glagolitic Mass.

Regards all

FtC
            The point of my post is that it's pretty pointless to examine a conductor's area of expertise/enthusiasm and then criticise him if he doesn't explore a certain area of music. Surely a conductor has to feel a certain something for the repertoire that he conducts and if this does not include say, Vaughan Williams or Moeran, then so be it.

Your advocacy of the symphonies of Vaughan Williams et al is laudable - it's your enthusiasm, great stuff - but don't demonstrate what a chump you are by criticising a conductor who thus far has chosen not to follow you down the Damascene Way

Comment

Sargent, Boult and Barbirolli knew and worked with RVW and other composers of the time but we move on and younger conductors will find new composers to champion, whilst obviously still playing the 20th century giants. Until my generation pops off, [not long now], the middle of the 20th century is still the centre of my musical world. BUT, Rattle isn't that young is he?

Comment

Originally posted by ucanseetheend View Post
                Rattle has done relatively little British Music, Maybe a relief when I hear what he does to other great composers music and a once sound from a great orchestra. and as you say he gets a knighthood
                Ouch!

Actually, I am totally against the granting of knighthoods or other "Birthday Honours" to anyone in reward for them being successful in the persuance of their chosen professions; whether it be in the Arts, Acting, Horse Riding, Athletics or whatever.

I believe that Birthday/New Year Honours should be awarded only for those who seek no reward, thus showing the country's gratitude towards people who do not seek the limelight and who deserve recognition for their unpaid and unrecognised charity work for the community.

Eva

Comment

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                  Sargent, Boult and Barbirolli knew and worked with RVW and other composers of the time but we move on and younger conductors will find new composers to champion, whilst obviously still playing the 20th century giants. Until my generation pops off, [not long now], the middle of the 20th century is still the centre of my musical world. BUT, Rattle isn't that young is he?

Comment

Originally posted by Extra Vaganza View Post
                    Ouch!

Actually, I am totally against the granting of knighthoods or other "Birthday Honours" to anyone in reward for them being successful in the persuance of their chosen professions; whether it be in the Arts, Acting, Horse Riding, Athletics or whatever.

I believe that Birthday/New Year Honours should be awarded only for those who seek no reward, thus showing the country's gratitude people who do not seek the limelight and who deserve recognition for their unpaid and unrecognised charity work for the community.

Eva
                    "Her Majesty thanks you for taking the trouble to write to Her and thanks you for your observations. Why don't you stick to what you're good at and She'll carry on doling out community motivators"

Comment

"Her Majesty thanks you for taking the trouble to write to Her and thanks you for your observations. Why don't you stick to what you're good at and She'll carry on doling out community motivators"
                      How very rude. Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you could be B______ impossible?

And by the way, it is the Prime Minister who decides who should be "honoured" and Her Majesty merely rubber-stamps the recommendations.

Eva

Comment

How very rude. Why be difficult when, with a little more effort, you could be B______ impossible?

I'll keep emulating your style, EVa - as in all things you are my lodestar

Comment

The point of my post is that it's pretty pointless to examine a conductor's area of expertise/enthusiasm and then criticise him if he doesn't explore a certain area of music. Surely a conductor has to feel a certain something for the repertoire that he conducts and if this does not include say, Vaughan Williams or Moeran, then so be it.

Your advocacy of the symphonies of Vaughan Williams et al is laudable - it's your enthusiasm, great stuff - but don't demonstrate what a chump you are by criticising a conductor who thus far has chosen not to follow you down the Damascene Way

Indeed. I don't understand the Rattle/English music thing - is it that he should he conduct English music because he's English? Would the same be said for conductors from other countries? Or is it just a(nother) way of attacking Rattle?

Comment

Ouch!

I believe that Birthday/New Year Honours should be awarded only for those who seek no reward, thus showing the country's gratitude towards people who do not seek the limelight and who deserve recognition for their unpaid and unrecognised charity work for the community.

Eva
                            The whole lot ('honours', that is) should be abolished & the Japanese system of declaring people 'living treasures' adopted - but I think people who have done exceptionally well in their work shoul be acknowledged. It's the party donors who shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              The whole lot ('honours', that is) should be abolished
                              ... full stop.

Comment

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                The whole lot ('honours', that is) should be abolished & the Japanese system of declaring people 'living treasures' adopted - but I think people who have done exceptionally well in their work shoul be acknowledged. It's the party donors who shouldn't.
                                Oh I didn't know about 'living treasures' what a marvellous idea

The honours system is a pointless anachronism and should be given the democratic elbow toot sweet, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X