Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mlb7171 View Post
    Gradually talking myself into returning my tickets now...!!!
    I have never returned tickets before. How is it done? Can it be done, especially if large numbers are trying to do so? The situation is very disappointing.

Comment

Coming rather late to this 'party', although I have tickets for the Gewandhaus Mahler 3... I have to say what no-one seems to have yet picked up on is that Chailly's replacement, Alan Gilbert, has no relationship with the orchestra. He has conducted them in one programme only, making his debut with them, last season. Sure they are going to rehearse and all that, but I would suggest a great orchestra like the Gewandhaus needs to be touring with someone with whom they have at the very least, regular sight. Mind you, at least Gilbert has conducted at the Proms already, in Luzern (same tour) it's his debut. I think that's just mad, you don't make your debut in Luzern with an orchestra you have conducted once. But that's modern management for you, best not turn it down. Gradually talking myself into returning my tickets now...!!!
      Agree that the Gewandhaus would be better off with a Conductor that has been with them before, but my understanding was that Felix Mendelsohn was unavailable.

Comment

Alan Gilbert, has no relationship with the orchestra. He has conducted them in one programme only, making his debut with them, last season.
        Not exactly "no relationship", then?
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

I recall Esa Pekka delivering a sensational Mahler 3 with the LPO having never conducted them before (or since).

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            I recall Esa Pekka delivering a sensational Mahler 3 with the LPO having never conducted them before (or since).
            ....but he's a sensational conductor. Is Alan Gilbert?

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Not exactly "no relationship", then?
              In my view a musical relationship is not one set of concerts... I stand by my comment.

Comment

In my view a musical relationship is not one set of concerts... I stand by my comment.
                There seems to be a lot of writing off of Mr Gilbert - for all we know his initial impact with the LGO was so good that he was the obvious stand-in - I hope does well and stuns the critics on this thread!

Comment

well here he is conducting Mahler, if that helps us decide
                  Alan Gilbert, Principal Guest Conductor of the NDR Sinfonieorchester, conducts Mahler's 5th Symphony.Jeroen Berwaerts, trumpetLübeck, 2008

Comment

I look forward to the resumption of this thread!

Comment

Perhaps I was not listening carefully enough, but I thought I heard the presenter of CD Review this morning refer to Friday's Choral Symphony Prom being conducted by Chailly. Was this an error on Mr McGregor's part or has Chailly made a recovery? I received an email about his indisposition, but nothing about a recovery. My guess is that we were given the wrong information this morning. Can anyone throw light onto the subject?

Comment

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                        Perhaps I was not listening carefully enough, but I thought I heard the presenter of CD Review this morning refer to Friday's Choral Symphony Prom being conducted by Chailly. Was this an error on Mr McGregor's part or has Chailly made a recovery? I received an email about his indisposition, but nothing about a recovery. My guess is that we were given the wrong information this morning. Can anyone throw light onto the subject?
                        Yes I pricked up my ears when I heard that too - but by the end of the programme he was saying Alan Gilbert conducting both Leipzig concerts... A slip of the tongue I think
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Yes I pricked up my ears when I heard that too - but by the end of the programme he was saying Alan Gilbert conducting both Leipzig concerts... A slip of the tongue I think

I tried to Google reviews of the Concerts but nothing came up. How were they received?

Comment

The moral being that I should have listened to the end of the programme. Thanks for the confirmation.

My last visit to the Proms to hear one of the great European orchestras was a let-down, so I'm hoping for better things next week.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                              I tried to Google reviews of the Concerts but nothing came up. How were they received?
                              Can we let you know after they've happened? (Thursday and Friday next).

"...the isle is full of noises,
                              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Can we let you know after they've happened? (Thursday and Friday next).

Sorry, thought it happened. What a novel idea, waiting until after a Concert to give an opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X