Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Were you in the hall? in the arena? I wonder if the concerto came across with the sense of violent
    impact conveyed on TV?
    In the hall? Not this time. In the arena? Never. I did see & hear the prom (and stand by what I said in post 47). Even with my untrained ears it sounded to me that the orchestra were playing Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.2 and Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.5

To Hornspoiler, what's a middle C?

I can't play an instrument and I can't read music (not proud of that, just a fact.) I don't only listen to classical music and despite my years have only been attending the Proms since 2007. Does that disqualify me [or anyone else] from having an opinion? I don't want to hear a piece of music performed exactly the same each time. As I said in my previous post we all have favourite recordings or performances to fall back on (It also nice to hear recommendations, whether they are 'definitive' will be a matter of opinion shared by many or none.)

HS, you are hearing voices. I don't even exist.

And like that... he's gone.
    Last edited by pureimagination; 17-09-14, 11:51.

Comment

Originally posted by pureimagination View Post
      In the hall? Not this time. In the arena? Never. I did see & hear the prom (and stand by what I said in post 47). Even with my untrained ears it sounded to me that the orchestra were playing Rachmaninov's Piano Concerto No.2 and Tchaikovsky's Symphony No.5

To Hornspoiler, what's a middle C?

I can't play an instrument and I can't read music (not proud of that, just a fact.) I don't only listen to classical music and despite my years have only been attending the Proms since 2007. Does that disqualify me [or anyone else] from having an opinion? I don't want to hear a piece of music performed exactly the same each time. As I said in my previous post we all have favourite recordings or performances to fall back on (It also nice to hear recommendations, whether they are 'definitive' will be a matter of opinion shared by many or none.)

HS, you are hearing voices. I don't even exist.

And like that... he's gone.
      Everybody is entitled to express their own opinion - or their reaction.

... and that includes me.

Enjoy!

Hornspieler

BTW Middle C is the white note which usually resides in the very centre of a piano keyboard.

It is probably the note from which most learners begin that long journey to understanding music.

Comment

The Tchaikovsky was a complete shambles from start to finish. Again our heroic horn player attempted to bring things to order (but not with any sign of musical expression) but I have to say that this was the worse Promenade Concert that I have encountered in the last 60 years.

I would strongly recommend anyone who disagrees to pay a visit to one of the countrywide chain of establishments which sell not only spectacles but hearing aids as well.
        Oh, so anyone who disagrees with you is deaf or blind? Charming!

As for the conductress ("...plenty of room upstairs") ...
        Misogynistic comments like that have no place on this forum.

Personally the performance rekindled my appreciation of Tchaikovsky 5. Perhaps I had previously heard too many performances where supposedly professional musicians had decided to inject other composers' music?

Comment

Originally posted by Richard J. View Post
          Oh, so anyone who disagrees with you is deaf or blind? Charming!

Misogynistic comments like that have no place on this forum.

Personally the performance rekindled my appreciation of Tchaikovsky 5. Perhaps I had previously heard too many performances where supposedly professional musicians had decided to inject other composers' music?
          Glad you enjoyed it.

HS

Comment

Working...
          X