Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too few people know Terry Allen, John.
    A US treasure that they don't know they've hidden.
    He's played Crewe twice, mind you.

But what of Alicia ?
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
      Too few people know Terry Allen, John.
      A US treasure that they don't know they've hidden.
      He's played Crewe twice, mind you.

But what of Alicia ?
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlzZ5GZGjVk
      That 'Juarez' is a great record Paul. And of course Andy had him on the show a few times.
      Terry Allen"Wolfman of Del Rio"In session for Andy Kershaw BBC1 1996 Track 2515-Sep-1996

Comment

>>And of course Andy had him on the show a few times.

There were two sessions I think John - I was at one of them ! And basically AK more or less handed the whole two hour programme over to the
        great Mr Allen. I don't think Terry has made a bad album - I wonder if there's another one in him ?

PS
        Credit should go to Sugar Hill Records for keeping all of his wondrous works available

Comment

I do intend to comment shortly - I just want to give the thread the consideration it merits.

Comment

Lat,
            We haven't scratched the surface yet.
            ( Which reminds me, I bet no one has played Freakwater's ' Scratches On The Door, on the radio, ever ! )

Comment

What I want to know is where that promised second disc from the Aerovons is. They were supposed to be recording and releasing it this year but then I guess it is only 42 years since they cut their first one. Maybe they need a bit more time.

Course that ain't country but then I have my doubts as to whether Freakwater are exactly Tammy Wynette either.

Comment

Distant cousins, Lat.
                Now Ms Parton & Mr Wagoner are a lot closer
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Not forgetting them Carter Family folks - here's my fave of theirs!

Comment

OK, many thanks for these great contributions. Unless there are any vehement objections, consider the following in -

Porter Wagoner - The Cold Hard Facts of Life
                    Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues
                    Hank Thompson - Six Pack To Go
                    Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe
                    Jimmie Rodgers - Blue Yodel No 1
                    Leon Payne/Jim Reeves - I Love You Because

I will take the Hank Wangford if someone can supply me with a title. Nusrat - Alas, no, although Mustt Mustt is terrific and my favourite cd by him. I'm not sure if JC and PS are being serious about Big John and DIVORCE respectively but funnily enough I have always had a very soft spot for "Ruby". It is them all or nothing. Which do you prefer?

I would love to include "The Rubber Room" - the most extraordinary clip to date and I agree with the person who commented "horror country - predates goth", it hardly seems suited to the genre at all though it works - but I feel we should be aiming at one artist one song. I have a few more comments on all the other suggestions but I need to get to the local shop quickly.

In the meantime, we will certainly have one each by George Jones and Johnny Cash - the first person who posts a favourite by either will have that song included.
                    Last edited by Guest; 28-04-11, 22:57.

Comment

Jones -

Where Grass Won't Grow
                      And absolutely serious about Tammy Wynette - as is Jonathan Miller.
                      She's one of his tingle factors

George
                      Last edited by Guest; 28-04-11, 21:48.

Comment

And here's a lad covering Leon Payne. And doing a fine job

See also Jack Kittel, Eddie Noack and somewhere Teddy Thompson

Comment

That was a swift walk. Thanks Paul. I am adding Dolly Parton, the Carter Family and Terry Allen. It is now looking like this -

Porter Wagoner - The Cold Hard Facts of Life
                          Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues
                          Hank Thompson - Six Pack To Go
                          Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe
                          Jimmie Rodgers - Blue Yodel No 1
                          Leon Payne/Jim Reeves - I Love You Because
                          George Jones - Where Grass Won't Grow
                          Johnny Cash - ?
                          Tammy Wynette - D.I.V.O.R.C.E
                          Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town
                          Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
                          Hank Wangford - ?
                          Dolly Parton - Jolene
                          Terry Allen - New Delhi Freight Train
                          The Carter Family - Engine 143

More thoughts to follow in a moment or two.
                          Last edited by Guest; 28-04-11, 22:30.

Comment

Is this "Big Bad John" and are we taking the Cash version? I know that song and feel a bit dimwitted for asking this.

Edit - Ignore this. I have opted for Jimmy Dean. We still need a Cash song.
                            Last edited by Guest; 28-04-11, 22:27.

Comment

......Now then, once we are up to the 50 mark, we can review if you like and substitute one or two.

Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris have been mentioned. The first is a must from my point of view and I would nominate "Brass Buttons" if people can accept this. I also think we should have something from the second.

I am expecting a Louvin offering. You could possibly get two or more there with single recordings and collaborations. I am not sure how we do the Carter Family full justice - is there room for separation there too?

I feel a bit uneasy with Janis Joplin in this but not necessarily with "Me and Bobby McGee". What do you think? I love Judy Collins but isn't she more folk? Anyone want "City of New Orleans" by someone else instead?

I will only take Marty Robbins if someone really, really, wants him in this list.

We have had some crossover suggestions - Everly Brothers, Glen Campbell, Kris Kristofferson, Elvis Costello and the Eagles. Yes or no?

I would like to nominate "Passionate Kisses" or "I Am A Town" by Mary Chapin Carpenter. Am I allowed one of these? I also like Nanci Griffith and, maybe I should whisper this one, Crystal Gayle. These should produce a few reactions. There's more from me to come but I will await feedback before adding to these suggestions.
                              Last edited by Guest; 28-04-11, 22:31.

Comment

Just a wee addition Lat - I really like Guy Clark's 'Desperados waiting for a train' - I'm sure Nancy Griffith did a good version of it too - he's written some crackin' songs.

Comment

Working...
                                X