Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks John. Very interesting and new to me. It's going in. I am going to add "Brass Buttons" (clip one). Plus "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness" which you will recall was covered by Nanci Griffith. I'm going for the John Prine original. A bit shocked at how he has aged in the new clip but it is a good performance - and a lovely duet from 21 years ago (clips two and three).

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Porter Wagoner - The Cold Hard Facts of Life
    Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues
    Hank Thompson - Six Pack To Go
    Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe
    Jimmie Rodgers - Blue Yodel No 1
    Leon Payne/Jim Reeves - I Love You Because
    George Jones - Where Grass Won't Grow
    Johnny Cash - ?
    Tammy Wynette - D.I.V.O.R.C.E
    Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town
    Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
    Hank Wangford - ?
    Dolly Parton - Jolene
    Terry Allen - New Delhi Freight Train
    The Carter Family - Engine 143
    Guy Clark - Desperados Waiting For a Train
    Gram Parsons - Brass Buttons
    John Prine - Speed of the Sound of Loneliness

Comment

Well my nephew James is pasing through at the moment and we've been watching that recent Merle Haggard documentary.
      But where to begin with the great man ?

Comment

Well, I hope you will offer something there Paul, because I'm a bit clueless on country as I said early on. I note that no one yet has mentioned Willie Nelson. I saw him live at Glasto but I wouldn't be able to say what is his best. I do think we need the bread and butter, so to speak, before I start bringing in the Steve Earles and the Corb Lunds and even start some sort of dialogue about Ryan Adams or kd Lang. I've also got the Roches on my tentative list - I'm not sure quite how widely we are all going with this. Lat.

Comment

....and then someone might say Lefty Frizell and another Buck Owens. Am I allowed this fantastic song or is it too folky? -

If not, this one, or is it too commercial? -

Comment

The Handsome Family need to be on that list and so does Ms Gauthier.

Comment

They do Global and both are around and about this happy, celebrating island now or soon.
              And that list will end up being a long 'un.
              Very long.

I Drink

So Much Wine
              With such a dearth of Handsome Family tunes on here and it being December, I figured I'd put this up. Enjoy.
              Last edited by Guest; 29-04-11, 12:10.

Comment

Porter Wagoner - The Cold Hard Facts of Life
                Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues
                Hank Thompson - Six Pack To Go
                Bobbie Gentry - Ode To Billie Joe
                Jimmie Rodgers - Blue Yodel No 1
                Leon Payne/Jim Reeves - I Love You Because
                George Jones - Where Grass Won't Grow
                Johnny Cash - ?
                Tammy Wynette - D.I.V.O.R.C.E
                Kenny Rogers and the First Edition - Ruby Don't Take Your Love To Town
                Jimmy Dean - Big Bad John
                Hank Wangford - ?
                Dolly Parton - Jolene
                Terry Allen - New Delhi Freight Train
                The Carter Family - Engine 143
                Guy Clark - Desperados Waiting For a Train
                Gram Parsons - Brass Buttons
                John Prine - Speed of the Sound of Loneliness
                Mary Chapin Carpenter - I Am A Town
                Mary Gauthier - I Drink
                The Handsome Family - So Much Wine
                Emmylou Harris - ?
                Lefty Frizzell -?
                Buck Owens - ?
                Willie Nelson - ?
                The Louvin Brothers - ?

Janis Joplin - Me And Bobby McGee
                Judy Collins - The City of New Orleans
                Marty Robbins - El Paso
                Glen Campbell - Wichita Lineman
                The Eagles - ?
                The Everly Brothers - ?
                Nanci Griffith - ?
                Corb Lund - ?
                Steve Earle - ?
                kd Lang - ?
                Ryan Adams - ?
                Last edited by Guest; 29-04-11, 14:54.

Comment

I really love Emmylou's take on Springsteen's My Father's house - haunting. Can't find it on Youtube - here it is from spot-u-love.

You mentioned Crystal Gayle, Lat and she's a crackin' singer - not sure she's country - I love the thing she did from One from the Heart with Tom Waits - I used to have this unbacked theory that it was supposed to be him and Rickie lee but they fell out.
                  I have a similar thing with Patsy Cline - I love 'I fall to pieces' and she has a country voice, and the instruments fit in, yet it never feels like a country song to me - nor does Crazy or Walkin' after midnight.
                  A video slideshow in tribute to one the all time best female singer/songwriters ever.

You could choose a bundle of Johnny cash but I'd go obvious - 'Walk the Line'!
                  Johnny Cash - I Walk the Linejohnny cash june carter cash

...and what about Bob - I'm not saying this, but it's great and it feels countryish.
                  Last edited by johncorrigan; 29-04-11, 15:12. Reason: oops! boobed around bob!

Comment

......or maybe I should plump for two for the price of one, Lat!

Comment

One for the price of a dozen !
                      Merle Haggard.
                      Get ready to sing along, John ...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Sherratt View Post
                        One for the price of a dozen !
                        Merle Haggard.
                        Get ready to sing along, John ...
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4ujMvABhkE
                        ....or this one Paul.

Country music probably has the best drink related songs, doncha just think? hic!

Comment

Excellent stuff. The Emmylou/Springsteen track sounds a little gospel tinged to me. The "interface" - horrible corporate word - between country and gospel anyone? We will take it though and the track by Patsy Cline too.

Crystal Gayle - I realise that I should be over this kind of thing by now, it is more who and what you like etc, but I do have an interest in any consensus about what is good and what is bad country. It is a bearings thing. I could learn more there.

While I believe that Crystal was related to Loretta Lynn, I instinctively feel that there is a credibility issue, maybe the crossover hits etc. Still, having said all that, she has always stood out for me, cut through it all, and I do agree that her work with Tom Waits was sublime. I don't think we can include this in the list but it has to be one of my favourite tracks of all time.

Tom Waits and Crystal Gale from the OST of the film ONE FROM THE HEART (1982) by Francis Ford CoppolaI should go out and honk, it's Independence DayBut inste...

I will take the first Merle Haggard track. The second will go into the Part 2 list "for consideration later". I will put the Rubber Room in there too.
                          Last edited by Guest; 29-04-11, 21:26.

Comment

....The Bob Dylan tracks were brilliant. I haven't seen those clips before. The first was really unusual. I have always loved Girl From The North Country. It is, of course, essentially Scarborough Fair and, in that way, it leans quite heavily towards folk. The second, One Too Many Mornings, is his Nashville Skyline voice and appears to emanate from those sessions when he also rerecorded GFTNC with Johnny Cash. Many thanks especially for those. I will certainly add the Dylan and Cash collaboration.
                            Last edited by Guest; 29-04-11, 21:27.

Comment

Dust
                              This song was the first one from a B-western to be nominated for an Oscar in its first appearance in UNDER WESTERN STARS. "Dust" was recorded by Roy Rogers a...

Still not heard it on a radio.

Comment

Nice. Quote: "This song was the first one from a B-western to be nominated for an Oscar". This begs the question "what was the second?".

Comment

Working...
                                X