Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There has been some comment, think it was in Songlines, about the evolution of bouzouki in Irish "folk" from being an exotic & welcome addition to now being a hackneyed irritation.

To be fair I think Alec Finn was one of the early adopters.
    Last edited by Globaltruth; 29-04-24, 15:47.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
      There has been some comment, think it was in Songlines, about the evolution of bouzouki in Irish "folk" from being an exotic & welcome addition to now being a hackneyed irritation.

To be fair I think Alec Finn was one of the early adopters.
      I think Donal Lunny would have been the first I saw playing it, Global.

Comment

Call me an old softie, but after such a long winter and a slow start to the spring, suddenly the land and the trees and the grass have burst into green, and I found myself walking along the road yesterday singing this song that Johnny Cash wrote while travelling in Ireland in the late fifties. It seemed to be ubiquitous back in the sixties, but I know of no greater version than this one by Johnny's daughter Rosanne, accompanied by Karen Matheson and Kate Rusby, and the Transatlantic Sessions crew.

Happy Irish Friday...hope it's green where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
          Call me an old softie, but after such a long winter and a slow start to the spring, suddenly the land and the trees and the grass have burst into green, and I found myself walking along the road yesterday singing this song that Johnny Cash wrote while travelling in Ireland in the late fifties. It seemed to be ubiquitous back in the sixties, but I know of no greater version than this one by Johnny's daughter Rosanne, accompanied by Karen Matheson and Kate Rusby, and the Transatlantic Sessions crew.

Yep. It's green alright, this isn't Irish but is my favourite track for This Kind Of Thing

'Till April is Dead' by Lisa Knapp from the full length album 'Till April is Dead - A Garland of May' released April 28 2017. Distributed worldwide by Karte...

and, I guess you know and maybe I should post this on the gardening thread but pot marigold petals are delicious...grow them every year (v. simple)

Lisa Knapp's song may be based on this
          The Watersons performing the may day song "Hal-An-Tow" (you can also hear it on "Frost & Fire: A calendar of ceremonial (ritual & magical) folk songs" TOPIC ...

Which looks like it was recorded live in The Bluebell Inn in Hull Old Town

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Sure it's always green in the Emerald Isle, you old softie.
            Two green songs by Mr Green himself - though not so green in the former.
            In the next he's green to the core.

Green bushes (arr. F. Keel) - YouTube

John McCormack - The Wearing of the Green [Audio Stream] - YouTube

Comment

That was great, GT and Padraig. That Lisa Knapp vid never fails to delight; and I imagine there'll be a lot of 'Wearing of the Green' in the East End of Glasgow today as Celtic celebrate another championship.

Comment

Working...
              X