Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've found both weeks from Celtic Connections really dull, heavy-going radio. I'm not massively into 'folk' music and I'd much rather have seen the festival coverage as a separate programme (hosted by MAK???) on 3 leaving us with a proper 'global music' offering in the MP slot. Unfortunately, my go-to source - the fabulous DJ Ritu ex-Radio London - has reduced her Resonance FM shows to fortnightly leaving me with the great music choices of Roger Brockbank on Deal Radio, plenty of knowledge but questionable presenting style...

Two consecutive weeks of essentially the same music played in slightly different ways is not broadening my knowledge and enjoyment of 'world' music :-(

Comment

Originally posted by LeWoiDeWeigate View Post
      I've found both weeks from Celtic Connections really dull, heavy-going radio. I'm not massively into 'folk' music and I'd much rather have seen the festival coverage as a separate programme (hosted by MAK???) on 3 leaving us with a proper 'global music' offering in the MP slot. Unfortunately, my go-to source - the fabulous DJ Ritu ex-Radio London - has reduced her Resonance FM shows to fortnightly leaving me with the great music choices of Roger Brockbank on Deal Radio, plenty of knowledge but questionable presenting style...

Two consecutive weeks of essentially the same music played in slightly different ways is not broadening my knowledge and enjoyment of 'world' music :-(
      I didn't hear episode two from Glasgow. LeWoi, and your description doesn't leave me fancying a listen. I had a look at the line-up...that doesn't persuade me either.

Comment

I also tend to swerve the Celtic Connections shows and usually leave it to our very own man on the spot to sort out the best - for example, Martin Hayes.

I suspect it is a different matter altogether if you're there....

DJ Ritu and Max Reinhardt (formerly of this parish ) were doing a joint 'world' music show on Soho Radio at one point. Not sure if it is still on air.

However a podcast you might enjoy is Podwireless:

The 50 favourites from more than 350 new CD releases that made it through selection for Podwireless play in 2023.   ...

by Ian Anderson who used to be man behind froots.
        There is a mix of folk music and world music but if you follow the link you can judge for yourself as he provides some playlists.
        Ian puts a lot of work into this and doesn't get paid at all, there is a TipJar where you can drop him some money though...

Comment

Another show recorded at Celtic Connections this week centred round Fara, a band from Orkney, working with guest musicians from around the globe - not great, though I quite enjoyed Genticorum, but the whole thing sounded a bit of a mess. Les Amazones d'Afrique were on and got lost in the general mess. The whole thing sounded distinctly under-rehearsed, in my opinion.

Comment

Great to hear Lila Downs on MP with Kathryn this week. She was very interesting. Some fine tunes in there this week. I'm also not sure that I had notced that Jo-El Sonnier had died last month - KT chose a cracking track to mark him as classic artist of the week. Usual mixed bag. KT did recommend listening to Jo-El doing 'Tear Stained Letter' - here they are together from 1990.
            [Mono] Mr. Thompson's composition is given the treatment by the in-house band, which includes Hiram Bullock on guitar, Philippe Saisse on keyboards, Don Ali...

Comment

Just caught the end. Great track from Jo-El S. Would have liked more, so thanks for posting...

Comment

Music Planet continues to mine Celtic Connections for content, but I enjoyed much of Genticorum's set. Some fine tracks in the show, Les Amazones d’Afrique and Dafné Kritharas to name but two. KT has Anoushka Shankar with her in the studio next week for a spot of musical ping-pong. I think that's what it was once called.

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                  KT has Anoushka Shankar with her in the studio next week for a spot of musical ping-pong. I think that's what it was once called.
                  Very enjoyable set of tunes from all over the place in this week's MP, some familiar but many not - one of my favourites was one of Anoushka's choices, 'Pundela' by Thierry 'Titi' Robin, which is certainly Indian in origin but seemed to effortlessly include many other influences and was so uplifting.
                  Provided to YouTube by NaivePundela · Titi RobinAlezane℗ Madoro Music / naïveReleased on: 2004-03-09Composer: Thierry RobinComposer: TraditionalLyricist: DRA...

Comment

Working...
                  X