Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just caught up with Saturday's show - some absolutely wonderful voices on display this week - Portugal's Sara Correia for starters, Serbia's Tijana Stanković (stunning piece of Balkans with a difference), the ever-reliable Rhiannon Giddens to name but three. The live guest was Kazakhstan's dombra player Yerlan Ryskali who also had a wonderful voice, as had his partner who was there to help with the translations. The show finished in Andalusia with some great Flamenco voices from Ana Polanco & Victor Rosa - a most enjoyable and unusual MP, I thought.
    Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

Hmm... I'm almost tempted.

Comment

Yep - really enjoyable show and the Kazak music was exactly the stuff I want to hear more-and-more of on Radio 3.

{For those of us who love Lopa's playlists (yes, I know they are selected by a producer as well as LK) can I suggest searching out DJ Ritu (Ritu Khurana) and her fabulous programme on Resonance FM "A World in London" which is basically unchanged from the days since she left BBC Radio London}.

Comment

I suppose if we have to have a repeat we could do a lot worse than Lopa's programme dedicated to Angelique. I'm enjoying listening to that energy again.

Comment

As Lopa plays her show out, just a quick post to say I’m glad to have given it a listen today.

firstly the Scottish piper - you’ll be able to point me in the right direction for more of her work I’m sure JC and, the highlight, which was the Sámi road trip. I’ll be going back to listen to that properly but one of the best for a while. Let’s hope Lopa stays in the same vein. Alternatively I’m maybe getting more tolerant. Gah.

what did you think JC?

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
              As Lopa plays her show out, just a quick post to say I’m glad to have given it a listen today.

firstly the Scottish piper - you’ll be able to point me in the right direction for more of her work I’m sure JC and, the highlight, which was the Sámi road trip. I’ll be going back to listen to that properly but one of the best for a while. Let’s hope Lopa stays in the same vein. Alternatively I’m maybe getting more tolerant. Gah.

what did you think JC?
              I was going to encourage you to have a listen, GT, but unnecessary, it turns out. The Sami Road Trip was outstanding - I had been talking to Mrs C about Yoyking the other night when we were watching a Scandi natural history programme. She also enjoyed the road trip as we were coming up the road after a trip to Edinburgh.
              We need more Yoyking on Radio 3, I would suggest.

I have 'The Feeling' by Brìghde Chaimbeul.and keep thinking I should avail myself of 'Carry Them With Us' - she was a guest on MP earlier in the year and it she showed amazing maturity for one so young on that occasion. I have been swithering about February 3rd's programme for Celtic Connections, but I keep being swayed away from Lankum and Fatoumata Diawara by the thought that Brighde is playing in the beautiful Macintosh Church - not sure whether there's still tickets available - that may be what makes the decision in the end.
              ‘Tha Fonn Gun Bhi Trom | I Am Disposed Of Mirth single from “Carry Them With Us” by Brìghde Chaimbeul out April 14th 2023 (Glitterbeat/tak:til) Pre-order: ht...

Comment

I very much enjoyed catching up with Lopa's MP this afternoon - some cracking tracks and an enjoyable road trip to Argentina courtesy of Betto Arcos. I particularly enjoyed the sound of the new record from Aziza Brahim due out soon, and a great bit of Mongolian overtone singing from Kiledjian. And having heard my first skylarks of the year this morning, it was beautiful to hear the flamenco guitar/pipa combo on 'Skylark Call'. Not all great, but enough to keep me tuned in for the final track from Ghana via Bamako's Halima Kissima Toure. Keep it up, Lopa.
                Listen without limits, with BBC Sounds. Catch the latest music tracks, discover binge-worthy podcasts, or listen to radio shows – all whenever you want

Comment

9th March and this is the first MP of the year that has felt like a proper MP. For me, LK has a much better radio voice than KT and the playlist was much wider than we tend to get from KT. Particularly enjoyed a bit of Femi Kuti even though the recording quality was quite meh - brought back fab memories of four glorious days at WOMAD last year for me - but the Ousoul Oud/Riqq track from Tarek Abdallah and Adel Shams El Din was great. We took in Niger, Quebec, Afrobeat, etc... Music from all over the Planet.

Comment

Originally posted by LeWoiDeWeigate View Post
                    9th March and this is the first MP of the year that has felt like a proper MP. For me, LK has a much better radio voice than KT and the playlist was much wider than we tend to get from KT. Particularly enjoyed a bit of Femi Kuti even though the recording quality was quite meh - brought back fab memories of four glorious days at WOMAD last year for me - but the Ousoul Oud/Riqq track from Tarek Abdallah and Adel Shams El Din was great. We took in Niger, Quebec, Afrobeat, etc... Music from all over the Planet.
                    Enjoyable show, LWDW. As you say the sound wasn't great from WOMAD - which made the sound of drums having the beejeezus battered out of them a bit off-putting for me. I'm sure it must have been great to be there. I'm disappointed that there doesn't appear to be any playlist available so far. I also enjoyed the Egyptian piece, and the Portuguese piece, and the bit of Transylvania, and it was wonderful to hear Abdallah Oumbadougou.

Comment

Listened to last Saturday's 'Music Planet' on catch-up this morning. It was all Colombia's Meridian Brothers live in concert from the Songlines Festival. I'm sure it was fun to be there, but few of the tunes stood out for me - didn't think it quite merited a whole hour, but there you go. This week has a repeat of tabla player Zakir Hussain in conversation with Lopa. Doesn't seem that long ago.

Comment

Good but yes, back too soon. shan’t bother.
                        Hopefully their new budget year starts in April & they’ll be able to spend a bit more on programming. Especially when it’ll be r3 listeners Big Saturday Nite show….

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                          Good but yes, back too soon. shan’t bother.
                          Hopefully their new budget year starts in April & they’ll be able to spend a bit more on programming. Especially when it’ll be r3 listeners Big Saturday Nite show….
                          I hadn't realised MP was being shifted to another graveyard slot, Global. Not much info about next week except that it's got 'New York-born, Tamil Nadu-raised vocalist, composer and multi-instrumentalist Ganavya' in the studio. It doesn't tell me which presenter is staying up past their bedtime to present.

Comment

Music Planet moves to Saturday night (Saturdays 9.30pm-10.30pm).​
                            Full deets of all the changes here:
                            BBC Radio 3 unveils refreshed schedule and BBC TV announces major new series and performance highlights from across the UK

Watch out for Jools H. on a Sat. afternoon. I shall be watching a fascinating shade of paint harden.

Comment

Working...
                            X