Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The great old gal is 79 today. How about a bit of Rousseau inspired 'Jungle Line' to celebrate with Joni today. Happy birthday.

Those Burundi drums still sound so awesome.

Comment

It was always a bit of a shock to hear those pounding drums after the joyful carefree lyricism of In France they Kiss on Main-street, that opens the wonderful Hissing of Summer Lawns album. Heretical though it may be, I actually prefer the Leonard Cohen/ Herbie Hancock cover of it:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupThe Jungle Line · Herbie Hancock · Leonard CohenRiver: The Joni Letters℗ A Verve Records release; ℗ 2007 UMG Reco...

Glad she is still with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
        Very much so, going by this report on her attendance at the Broadway opening night of “Almost Famous”. She looks to be on great form.

https://variety.com/2022/scene/news/...ay-1235423621/

Comment

Almost exactly two years between us then - hadn't realised that before!

Comment

Originally posted by Belgrove View Post
            It was always a bit of a shock to hear those pounding drums after the joyful carefree lyricism of In France they Kiss on Main-street, that opens the wonderful Hissing of Summer Lawns album. Heretical though it may be, I actually prefer the Leonard Cohen/ Herbie Hancock cover of it:

Provided to YouTube by Universal Music GroupThe Jungle Line · Herbie Hancock · Leonard CohenRiver: The Joni Letters℗ A Verve Records release; ℗ 2007 UMG Reco...

Heretical indeed, Belgrove. Fine version that one by Herbie and Lenny, but those Burundi drummers get my heart racing every time. Nice to see Joni's back out and about these days and seems to be feeling the love from everyone. I often think that 'Hissing of Summer lawns' is Joni with her best voice on.

Comment

Spotted this bit of film of Joni on Canadian TV at the end of '67 singing 'The Dawntreader'.

Comment

Here is Joni talking to Elton John.

This interview was for a show that EJ does, Rocket Hour, for Apple. Maybe this explains why they don't talk to camera (is it a podcast? what isn't a podcast now?) and you don't hear the music they mention.
                How great to see JM clearly enjoying herself in her own place.

In this special episode of Rocket Hour, Elton John sits down with legendary singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell for a rare and personal interview.The two reminis...

I instantly wanted to listen to this though...
                from 1959 Lambert/Hendricks/Ross original version of Centrepiece.
                Provided to YouTube by Columbia/LegacyCenterpiece · Lambert, Hendricks & RossThe Hottest New Group In Jazz℗ Originally released 1959. All rights reserved by ...

Next, a live version of Harry's House by JM with the excellent Brian Blade on drums. 1998
                Found this whilst looking for a decent version of Centrepiece. Too good not to include..
                Recorded live at Warner Bros. lot 1998http://www.amazon.com/Joni-Mitchell-Painting-Words-Music/dp/B0002CTT44

"She is lost in House and Gardens

He's caught up in Chief of Staff

He drifts off into the memory

Of the way she looked in school

With her body oiled and shining

At the public swimming pool ...

... Shining hair and shining skin

Shining as she reeled him in

To tell him like she did today

Just what he could do with Harry's House

And Harry's take home pay."

Finally a version of Harry's House, this time including JM's tribute to Centrepiece (3m 26s). remastered 2022.
                Provided to YouTube by Rhino/ElektraHarry's House/Centerpiece (2022 Remaster) · Joni MitchellThe Asylum Albums (1972-1975)℗ 1974, 2022 Rhino Entertainment Co...
                Last edited by Globaltruth; 16-11-22, 16:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                  Here is Joni talking to Elton John.

This interview was for a show that EJ does, Rocket Hour, for Apple. Maybe this explains why they don't talk to camera (is it a podcast? what isn't a podcast now?) and you don't hear the music they mention.
                  How great to see JM clearly enjoying herself in her own place.

In this special episode of Rocket Hour, Elton John sits down with legendary singer-songwriter Joni Mitchell for a rare and personal interview.The two reminis...

I instantly wanted to listen to this though...
                  from 1959 Lambert/Hendricks/Ross original version of Centrepiece.
                  Provided to YouTube by Columbia/LegacyCenterpiece · Lambert, Hendricks & RossThe Hottest New Group In Jazz℗ Originally released 1959. All rights reserved by ...

Next, a live version of Harry's House by JM with the excellent Brian Blade on drums. 1998
                  Found this whilst looking for a decent version of Centrepiece. Too good not to include..
                  Recorded live at Warner Bros. lot 1998http://www.amazon.com/Joni-Mitchell-Painting-Words-Music/dp/B0002CTT44

Finally a version of Harry's House, this time including JM's tribute to Centrepiece (3m 26s). remastered 2022.
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a80n9Lbeytg
                  House music - that early!

Comment

Thanks a lot for the post, Global. I hadn't realised that 'Centrepiece' hadn't been written by Joni - I knew about 'Twisted', but not this...had always assumed she wrote it. Really enjoyed the interview - she looks like somebody loving life again - a true wonder, she is.
                    Talking of wonders, here, once again, is that Edith Piaf version of 'Les Trois Cloches' that Joni heard as an eight-year-old - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzzI7LjcBLM

Comment

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                      Thanks a lot for the post, Global. I hadn't realised that 'Centrepiece' hadn't been written by Joni - I knew about 'Twisted', but not this...had always assumed she wrote it. Really enjoyed the interview - she looks like somebody loving life again - a true wonder, she is.
                      Talking of wonders, here, once again, is that Edith Piaf version of 'Les Trois Cloches' that Joni heard as an eight-year-old - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzzI7LjcBLM
                      Thanks JC. Agreed.
                      Did you mean this link
                      Édith Piaf (French: [eˈdit pjaf]; 19 December 1915 – 10 October 1963; married name Édith Lamboukas, previously Pills, née Gassion) was a French cabaret singe...

It's one I've watched a few times before. Fascinating to realise that it is a significant influence on JM

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
                        Thanks JC. Agreed.
                        Did you mean this link
                        Édith Piaf (French: [eˈdit pjaf]; 19 December 1915 – 10 October 1963; married name Édith Lamboukas, previously Pills, née Gassion) was a French cabaret singe...

It's one I've watched a few times before. Fascinating to realise that it is a significant influence on JM
                        Thanks for keeping me right, Global. It's a new age thing.

Comment

Thanks for keeping me right, Global. It's a new age thing.
                          you've done the same for me many times over the years....

Comment

Here's a bit about Joni skating on Lake Mendota, that appeared from somewhere.

Comment

Just spotted this on youtube - a recording of Joni singing 'Summertime' on stage at the Gershwin Awards at the beginning of March, recorded on a dying phone - but she sounds sensational. Info says that the full film will appear in the next couple of days. I await with interest.
                              Joni Mitchell returns to the stage with this incredible rendition of Summertime. Recorded on a dying phone (sorry it died before the conclusion) at the Libr...

Comment

Just spotted this on youtube - a recording of Joni singing 'Summertime' on stage at the Gershwin Awards at the beginning of March, recorded on a dying phone - but she sounds sensational. Info says that the full film will appear in the next couple of days. I await with interest.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmoHBPJkGAk
                                her singing voice is back.
                                I'm not sure how that's happened, but it is excellent news.
                                Looking forward to the film too. And hopefully an album - but not on Spotify which she has left...

Comment

Working...
                                X