Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joni heading for 90

Joni Mitchell's 70 this week. Since the late 60s she's been a great favourite of mine. I thought I'd gather a few favourite songs together on spotty and invite anyone who fancies and who uses spotty, to add favourites or favourite covers of Joni's. Here's the link:

Fantastic stuff, especially her mid-70s period. I often wonder how much more widely she'd be appreciated if she was more visible. But then no artist of her stature really seeks publicity. Happy Birthday Joni.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
      Fantastic stuff, especially her mid-70s period. I often wonder how much more widely she'd be appreciated if she was more visible. But then no artist of her stature really seeks publicity. Happy Birthday Joni.
      She never fitted the pigeon hole that the publicising machine tried to put her in, muzzer - always taking her own carbon ribbon ride. She is certainly one of the major female artists of the 20th century.
      I love listening to her doing 'Both Sides Now' thirty years apart - incredible performances.

and

Comment

An absolute genius - Blue and Ladies of the Canyon are obvious greats - as is Court and Spark and For the Roses . Then again there is Hejira etc etc .

Comment

Although I love most of the albums Blue is the one I keep coming back to. It's so personal, so raw. Little Green in particular - when l read that she'd had a child adopted it all clicked into place.
          Steve

Comment

Thanks for the list, John. Judy Collins' Wildflowers is a beautiful album (available with Who Knows where the Time Goes as one CD). I agree about Blue, which I play often - Case of You, Last Time I saw Richard. Also Court and Spark, Summer Lawns. She is one of those very few singers where I have all CDs + Dylan and Lucinda Williams. We saw her only once - in London in the 80s and she did play her dulcimer.

(I mentioned her birthday a few days ago in this message elsewhere on this board)

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Thanks for the list, John. Judy Collins' Wildflowers is a beautiful album (available with Who Knows where the Time Goes as one CD). I agree about Blue, which I play often - Case of You, Last Time I saw Richard. Also Court and Spark, Summer Lawns. She is one of those very few singers where I have all CDs + Dylan and Lucinda Williams. We saw her only once - in London in the 80s and she did play her dulcimer.

(I mentioned her birthday a few days ago in this message elsewhere on this board)
              Thanks for that gurney - I'll look that mag out. 'Wildflowers' is an important record for me - my aunt had it - I played it all the time when I went to visit - introduced me to Cohen, Brel and of course Joni as well as having a couple of fantastic songs that Judy Collins penned herself - I first heard Collins' version of 'Both Sides Now' on two-way family favourites, by the way.
              ...and talking of interesting covers you might enjoy this haunting version of 'Woodstock' by Richard Thompson which I found last night from that Joni tribute concert in 2000...hadn't heard him do this one before - I think Joni liked it.
              RT performing a stunning live version of Joni's 'Woodstock' on a JM Tribute in 2000.

....by the way, you can add your favourites in to the list on spotty...it's a collaborative playlist - Global taught me how to do it!

Comment

that Richard T act is stunning innit
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  that Richard T act is stunning innit
                  Erm - no - give me the original anyday !

Comment

erm it was original! and she liked it!
                    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

RT is great, possibly this country's most consistent live act. A real advert for temperance, inter alia. With Joni I go back to Hejira and Summer Lawns the most. Blue I find too painful.

Comment

joni is too much of the first wife syndrome in my pathetic case ...........

Comment

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
                          RT is great, possibly this country's most consistent live act. A real advert for temperance, inter alia. With Joni I go back to Hejira and Summer Lawns the most. Blue I find too painful.
                          I think that in Hejira she creates some of her most wonderful images, muzzer. Amelia, Furry, Coyote but most of all Song for Sharon, one of my very favourite songs. Have to say I loved that Richard Thompson 'Woodstock' - he's a treat!

Comment

If there's not already somewhere at a "new" university, there should be a Joni course. Mind you, used to be the case you did a "hard" degree during the day and learnt other stuff just as important in your spare time.......

Comment

...and, of course Joni also has dipped into World Music

Here's an unusual cover of an influential Joni track from a couple of artists of a similar period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VYexsuysTQ

couldn't resist hitting the playlist even though I'm meant to be doing something else. You'll be surprised by at least one of the tracks - yes, it is the cast of that TV show Glee; I just like the fact that those young kids sometimes do manage to discover the good stuff, isn't it great to be patronising and condescending sometimes and maybe even get away with it. It's a great version.
                              Great thread by the way - this forum is often a pleasant surprise to me...
                              Last edited by Globaltruth; 07-11-13, 11:43.

Comment

Working...
                              X