Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muzzer View Post
    RT is great, possibly this country's most consistent live act. A real advert for temperance, inter alia. With Joni I go back to Hejira and Summer Lawns the most. Blue I find too painful.
    I take Richard Thpmpson as a kind of kindred spirit (he's almost exactly the same age as me). I've stuck with him since Fairport and the genius of I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight (an absolute favourite album) and the harrowing Shoot Out the Lights with Linda. I've only seen him once in concert and don't know everything by a long way. I've only got four solo albums. We've also seen his son Teddy who did a very good solo show at our local Arts Centre a few years ago.

Comment

He's indefatigable. And I don't have too much time for "folk music" tbh. But he's a splendid hybrid and his work stretches far beyond his roots. Al Bowlly's In Heaven, etc. I can honestly say that anyone who has not seen RT play guitar live has missed out on one of the musical wonders of the world. Peerless.

Comment

Joni has provided a fantastic musical journey from 'Michael from Mountains' through the Pastorius era of the late 70s to the absolute gem that was the 'Both Sides Now' album of 2000. If Ken Bruce hadn't already coined it - it could be the tracks of my years. Sometimes as with Leonard Cohen the lyrics were so personal they were difficult to solve the real meaning but the great thing about her was that she never let any money grabbing record company or manager get in the way of her music. Favourite albums - 'Both Sides Now','Song to a Seagull' and 'Don Juan's Wreckless Daughter' but there isn't a bad one and all have their stories!

Comment

Originally posted by Globaltruth View Post
          ...and, of course Joni also has dipped into World Music

Here's an unusual cover of an influential Joni track from a couple of artists of a similar period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VYexsuysTQ

couldn't resist hitting the playlist even though I'm meant to be doing something else. You'll be surprised by at least one of the tracks - yes, it is the cast of that TV show Glee; I just like the fact that those young kids sometimes do manage to discover the good stuff, isn't it great to be patronising and condescending sometimes and maybe even get away with it. It's a great version.
          Great thread by the way - this forum is often a pleasant surprise to me...
          Thanks for the Lenny/Herbie, Global - loved it - and of course the thing about 'River' is that it is such a magnificent and simple song it always sounds great - though perhaps when I'm belting it out in the car that might not be true - fortunately I can't really hear, and nor can anyone else - Zen or what. I've been on Don Juan and Travelogue this week, but think I'll dig out 'Both Sides Now' for the car today after what Cloughie was saying.
          What a Gal that Joni is!

Comment

Thanks also from me for that Hancock/Cohen link. It was new to me.

I remember a live Joni concert on BBC TV in summer 1972 (yes, they once did that sort of thing). It came at a key time in my life when a relationship was possibly ending - as my full time education just had. I was due to go off on what would be my first aeroplane flight to take up my first job, teaching in Germany. This Flight Tonight

Comment

Not a bad selection. A pedant writes, however, to say that Wayne Shorter plays sop and tenor but never alto.

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...?frame=2725601

Not a bad selection. A pedant writes, however, to say that Wayne Shorter plays sop and tenor but never alto.
                Us jazzers are sticklers for detail!

Comment

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                    Efficient sticklers...

Comment

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/c...?frame=2725601

Although 'Sire of Sorrow' from Travelogue is one of my favourites - though no Wayne there, I don't think.
                      There's still time to add a tune or two to a Joni collaborative over on Spotty and, of course, unlike the Tully list, covers are welcome.

Comment

Here's a great free documentary about Joni Mitchell - in English with Spanish subtitles (in a WM sort of way).

http://www.openculture.com/2013/06/t...cumentary.html

I particularly enjoyed the comments at the end, not only is she a
                        shinning
                        light but has ears as big as mountains. I think I know what they mean...

I'll also post this link somewhere else on the forum, but generally a great site for free movie (and other) resources....
                        http://www.openculture.com/freemoviesonline

Comment

And today she's 72

Comment

And today she's 72
                            Not on Planet LMP

How is this sort of thing allowed to happen on your world(s)???
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

And today she's 72

Thanks GT.

Little Green - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIzJnBWovOs

(Because it has been one of my favourites for decades)

Comment

And today she's 72
                                Or 73 if you believe the Independent!

Comment

Working...
                                X