Radio 3 schedule changes (‘edging away from speech')

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AuntDaisy
    Host
    • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Bettys is somewhat smug, not that good and vastly overpriced...
    I'd rather a good honest fry-up any day

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Bettys is somewhat smug, not that good and vastly overpriced...

I'd rather a good honest fry-up any day
      Yes indeed it’s one of the great Northern tourist cons. On the other hand there’s the lunchtime buffet at the Original Oak in Headingley which had the largest portion size of any place I’ve ever been at half London prices.

is it right that Skellers and Gore are leaving AC to be replaced by Alkers?
      That has seriously cast me down…

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
        ... please don't say such things, even in jest. We are suffering enough
        Wash me mouth out with soap and water!
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
          • Apr 2014

BBC Radio 3 unveils refreshed schedule and BBC TV announces major new series and performance highlights from across the UK

They are shortening Record Review by 45 minutes. And half an hour more of Jess Gillam complete with tiny snippets constantly voiced over. Time to storm the gates of the Winter Palace I think .

Comment

• Russ
            • Nov 2023

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
            Not sure the headline of this thread really encapsulates the fundamental nature of these changes.
            That is true, but that wasn't my intention. I was merely picking out the aspect that concerned me the most. No doubt there are and will be plenty of other aspects that deserve threads of their own.

Russ

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Russ View Post
              I was merely picking out the aspect that concerned me the most.
              So Drama on 3 continues. But there will be the question of 'What dramas?' The Archers and anything involving actors 'written for radio' is 'drama'. Maybe R3 will get Drama on 4 as a quid pro quo for getting The Verb?
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• antongould
                • Nov 2010

Yes indeed it’s one of the great Northern tourist cons. On the other hand there’s the lunchtime buffet at the Original Oak in Headingley which had the largest portion size of any place I’ve ever been at half London prices.

is it right that Skellers and Gore are leaving AC to be replaced by Alkers?
                That has seriously cast me down…
                are we saying WackoJacko has ended Skellers R3 career …… ??????

Comment

• vinteuil
                  • Nov 2010

... I just wonder if the Radio Times will list pieces that will be played. With an indication of the time when they will be played.

Sorry - I forget that I live on another planet...

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Russ View Post

That is true, but that wasn't my intention. I was merely picking out the aspect that concerned me the most. No doubt there are and will be plenty of other aspects that deserve threads of their own.

Russ
                    How about R3 announces international pan-galactic cluster****. That’s the term we used to employ in the media.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by antongould View Post

are we saying WackoJacko has ended Skellers R3 career …… ??????

I can’t see his name or Penny’s anywhere in the press release. But it’s wound me up so much I’m not sure I can face reading it again. He’s certainly not on the list of Concert Live or whatever it’s called presenters. I guess the move from Hampstead / Marylebone to Salford wasn’t up his Strasse.
                      Having been to BBC Salford once I can’t say I blame him..

Comment

• gurnemanz
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Saturday mornings will certainly become a no-go area for this listener.
                        At least I now won't have to decide whether to tune in or not - I usually did till the end of BaL - but now the decision has been made for me. The sad thing is that the Service marathon will probably have some worthwhile content but I won't be finding out.

Regarding the revamp in general, at first glance it seems certain that I shall be listening less to Radio Three in future. No doubt I'm not their demographic and wont be missed. I hope there will still be some grain among the chaff to suit my personal prefererences - eg live song recitals which I won't find elsewhere.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                          • Apr 2014

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                          ... I just wonder if the Radio Times will list pieces that will be played. With an indication of the time when they will be played.

Sorry - I forget that I live on another planet...

There isn’t enough space on the servers to list all the snippets with credits .And putting them in the Radio Times would involve denuding Scandinavia, of most of its trees.

Comment

• gradus
                            • Nov 2010

I can’t see his name or Penny’s anywhere in the press release. But it’s wound me up so much I’m not sure I can face reading it again. He’s certainly not on the list of Concert Live or whatever it’s called presenters. I guess the move from Hampstead / Marylebone to Salford wasn’t up his Strasse.
                            Having been to BBC Salford once I can’t say I blame him..
                            I do hope that IS and PG are still on the R3 payroll.

Comment

• LMcD
                              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post

At least I now won't have to decide whether to tune in or not - I usually did till the end of BaL - but now the decision has been made for me. The sad thing is that the Service marathon will probably have some worthwhile content but I won't be finding out.

Regarding the revamp in general, at first glance it seems certain that I shall be listening less to Radio Three in future. No doubt I'm not their demographic and wont be missed. I hope there will still be some grain among the chaff to suit my personal prefererences - eg live song recitals which I won't find elsewhere.
                              That may well be the case for a number of Forumites, possibly including yours truly. Perhaps one of the assumptions - or hopes - underlying this relaunch (or whatever you want to call it) is that former Radio 2 listeners who have increasingly felt ignored in recent years will find at least some of the 'new' Radio 3's offer to their liking.

Comment

• hmvman
                                • Mar 2007

Time to start thinking about acquiring more internet radios, smart speakers or streamers....

Comment

Working...
                                X