Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as I can see most of next week's concerts are recorded; just Thursday's will be live. There was quite an outcry - and an Early Day Motion in Parliament - a few years back when RW announced that evening concerts would be recorded and broadcast 'as live' (and slightly edited to shoehorn them into a fixed slot). Has this been the case for some time?

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

The handover wasn't live - the concert was recorded a few days ago.
      Yes I see that now, but it was a bit amateurish, also, the link announcer tonight had the most boring voice in captivity!

Comment

The handover wasn't live - the concert was recorded a few days ago.
        Well I missed the point at which we went from mixtape(weekday version) to WAM mixtape and assumed that it was a live cock-up. If it was a recorded event then what's the excuse?
        Now for trying to get my head straight. I know that concerts in olden days were done differently, but did that really include cutting and pasting a symphony around 2 concertos and a few other bits and pieces? Is this part of the getting a new audience drive and if so what would they take away from this car crash if they were listening?
        I confess I didn't help myself by falling asleep shortly before the end of the K175 piano concerto and waking up during the post concert Schubert piano filler - and wondering where the orchestra had gone...
        As a way of celebrating 75 years of the London Mozart Players I felt it left something to be desired.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Well I missed the point at which we went from mixtape(weekday version) to WAM mixtape and assumed that it was a live cock-up. If it was a recorded event then what's the excuse?
          Now for trying to get my head straight. I know that concerts in olden days were done differently, but did that really include cutting and pasting a symphony around 2 concertos and a few other bits and pieces? Is this part of the getting a new audience drive and if so what would they take away from this car crash if they were listening?
          I confess I didn't help myself by falling asleep shortly before the end of the K175 piano concerto and waking up during the post concert Schubert piano filler - and wondering where the orchestra had gone...
          As a way of celebrating 75 years of the London Mozart Players I felt it left something to be desired.
          This concert was presented as a recreation of the 1783 concert at which the Haffner symphony was premiered, so the cutting and pasting are 'authentic' and in accordance with Mozart's instructions. Whether that makes for a satisfactory experience for a modern-day audience is open to question, I suppose.

Comment

This concert was presented as a recreation of the 1783 concert at which the Haffner symphony was premiered, so the cutting and pasting are 'authentic' and in accordance with Mozart's instructions. Whether that makes for a satisfactory experience for a modern-day audience is open to question, I suppose.
            Quite, when Franz Clement gave the première of the Beethoven violin concerto, not only did he improvise the cadenza, but then entertained the enthusiastic audience with an impromptu display of his virtuoso technique by playing the violin upside down - and this between the 1st and 2nd movts! I'd love to have seen that, but every time it's performed?

Comment

I suppose one of the biggest gaps between the first three movts. being played and the last is Walton's 1st. Harty gave the first three in Dec 1934 and finale in Sept 1935! And I bet there are other examples.

Comment

Thanks LMcD. I think I must have missed some relevant bits of Petroc's contribution about the concert. I did try searching last night but my brain power wasn't up to it - should really have gone to bed rather than stayed online! I have done better today and seen that the concert format was indeed something rather unfamiliar to modern eyes.

Comment

Did anyone hear Wednesday's concert, with the Finale from Michael Haydn's Symphony No 28 played before Mozart's Jupiter symphony in the second half? The conductor Joshua Weilerstein included it because of the influence it appears to have had on Mozart's composing, and the resulting similarities in the music between the two works. He explained it well, such that even my not very technical ears could identify what he meant.

Comment

Working...
                  X