Britten – 4 Sea Interludes [Peter Grimes]
    Brahms – Violin Concerto
    Mendelssohn – Symphony No.3
    Trad. arr. Cree – Eightsome Reels
    Nikolaj Znaider (violin)
    BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
    Thomas Dausgaard (conductor)
    recorded at the Philharmonie, Essen

Listened this afternoon because I didn’t fancy the opera.
    I mostly enjoyed it,didn’t like the Pintscher cello concerto,fast forwarded after a few mins,and found the Mozart 39 a bit routine but the rest was very good.

Hope we’re still friends after Saturday’s game Lat
    Thank you very much.

Comment

I agree with the positive comments . Afternoon Concert is a neglected jewel in the R3 crown . With composer of the week and the lunchtime concert its fast becoming a reason to work from home in the afternoon. Also well presented by Tom McK who had the very good grace to accept a somewhat pedantic emailed correction on air from a listener.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
        I will be enjoying this.

Thursday 24 January
        Opera Matinee: Handel's Rinaldo

Handel: Rinaldo
        Rinaldo.....Paul-Antoine Bénos (countertenor)
        Goffredo.....Lucile Richardot (mezzo-soprano)
        Almirena.....Emmanuelle de Negri (soprano)
        Armida.....Aurore Bucher (soprano)
        Argante.....Thomas Dolié (bass)
        Ensemble Le Caravansérail
        Bertrand Cuiller (Director)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000244f
        I am enjoying this. I guess this is a concert performance in more than one sense; it’s quite a bit shorter than ‘normal’ performance. Never mind. The music is great and the singing sounds very good.

Comment

I enjoyed the Prague Spring Festival concerts this week Monday to Wednesday
          Especially Dvorak’s Spectre’s Bride despite not knowing the text,some fabulous music though(don’t recall ever hearing it before),the Bach Cantatas,Zemlinsky Trio and Sheherezade
          “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Some terrific stuff from the BBC Philharmonic this week.
            Highlights -
            The Wednesday afternoon all English programme
            Copland 3
            Rachmaninov 2
            David Matthews Vision of the Sea

Comment

Greatly enjoying this afternoon's selection - Barber's Second Essay; Britten's Violin Concerto; a couple of pieces by Rossini (good to see Richard Farnes featuring in the BBC schedules); and Dvorak's 'cello Concerto.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Greatly enjoying this afternoon's selection - Barber's Second Essay; Britten's Violin Concerto; a couple of pieces by Rossini (good to see Richard Farnes featuring in the BBC schedules); and Dvorak's 'cello Concerto.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0002cbj
                I felt the second Essay was spoiled by excessive slowing of the pace at its end. What should be "Q.E.D." became over-stretched and grandiloquent.

I thought Ehnes did a fine job in the Britten , and, although I didn't hear the Dvorak through to its end, Nicolas Altstaedt was fulfilling his promise in the first two movements. I particularly admired his "tempo rubato" which orchestra and conductor reflected in a most sympathetic manner. I was sorry to miss the Rodney Bennett which I've only ever heard on my LP. Now who conducted That? [Pause] The name Igor Buketoff hoves into my viewer. I wonder if other Boarders remember him - I recall he was American.

]

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                  Some terrific stuff from the BBC Philharmonic this week.
                  Highlights -
                  The Wednesday afternoon all English programme
                  Copland 3
                  Rachmaninov 2
                  David Matthews Vision of the Sea
                  Shame we've heard little of the David Matthews' 8th Symphony since its 2015 premiere, not to mention the 9th**, premiered last year...

There was a proposed Chandos album to include the 8th, Vision of the Sea etc., but it has never yet materialised...

The composer has an excellent, regularly updated website...

**...from which it appears that Nimbus have recorded this for release soon...

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                    I felt the second Essay was spoiled by excessive slowing of the pace at its end. What should be "Q.E.D." became over-stretched and grandiloquent.

I thought Ehnes did a fine job in the Britten , and, although I didn't hear the Dvorak through to its end, Nicolas Altstaedt was fulfilling his promise in the first two movements. I particularly admired his "tempo rubato" which orchestra and conductor reflected in a most sympathetic manner. I was sorry to miss the Rodney Bennett which I've only ever heard on my LP. Now who conducted That? [Pause] The name Igor Buketoff hoves into my viewer. I wonder if other Boarders remember him - I recall he was American.

]
                    I seem to remember he did an 1812 with chorus and heavy artillery!

Comment

I'm afraid that what for me in 1967 were the welcomingly memorable jabbing shapes Richard Rodney Bennett grew the first and third movements of his first symphony from, since they made 12-tone row-based music so apparently easy to grasp at one hearing, sound horribly contrived and mannered today. I seem to remember RRB being labelled "the people's 12-tone composer"at the time, possibly on the "strengths" of this work, but there were far more thrilling and enriching works in that format being composed by Goehr, Wood and Gerhardt in this country in that same time frame. Odd how ones impressions can drastically change with more musical exposure. The only part of the work that still "works" for me is the neo-romantic slow movement - Bennett as his Bergian best.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Odd how ones impressions can drastically change with more musical exposure. The only part of the work that still "works" for me is the neo-romantic slow movement - Bennett as his Bergian best.
                        O dear, the problems that arise from failing eyesight, S_A!
                        I read your last thought "as Bennett at his Belgian best", and then worried- which Belgian could that be?
                        I rejected several sheds packed with conservative Organists, Marcel Poot for having RRB's light touch but not his Serial side, and reduced a small field to Henri Pousseur - yes, S_A would know and respect his work, But, as you possibly, have realised, RRB's use of Serial techniques is skin deep, HP buys the whole deal and then advances menacingly on Darmstadt.!

At that point, I had a second look at your sentence: Bergian best -- well even BB could have espoused him as an influence.
                        I suspect that you've hit RRB on the head!

Oh how enthusiastic we once were over RRB who came back to GB with tidings of goodwill from Pierre! I once bored a MENSA audience rigid with my analysis of The Mines of Sulphur - the best of GB since, could it be?, Peter Grimes.

The Mines is now a yellowing period piece.

And as for RRB ... I fear that his serious music has not aged well

Nice chap, though!
                        Last edited by edashtav; 05-02-19, 15:46. Reason: Clarification and avoidance of insensitivity

Comment

Terrific Mahler 5 from the NDRE under Thomas Hengelbrock in the Monday 18th Feb programme. Just had it on in the car (on a surreal drive in 21 degree temperatures, in Feb!)

Music by Mozart, Mahler, Hindemith and Sibelius with the NDR Elbphilharmonie Orchestra
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Not one usually for this 'modern' stuff but was thoroughly entranced by Julia Wolfe's Anthracite Fields this afternoon.
                            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

What a pleasure to hear Kabalevsky’s 1st Cello Concerto on the Radio (Broadcast Tuesday afternoon)

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
                                What a pleasure to hear Kabalevsky’s 1st Cello Concerto on the Radio (Broadcast Tuesday afternoon)
                                Not a work I knew, but I've just ordered a CD as a result of this broadcast.

Seems like his 2nd concerto is more popular/ highly regarded, not least by cellists, but distinctly less cheerful The Naxos CD has both so we'll see!
                                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                                X