Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
    Not a work I knew, but I've just ordered a CD as a result of this broadcast.

Seems like his 2nd concerto is more popular/ highly regarded, not least by cellists, but distinctly less cheerful The Naxos CD has both so we'll see!
    Yes the 2nd Concerto is the more impressive IMVHO,certainly the more DSCH-like of the two.
    The Naxos is OK but the performances certainly not as impressive or exciting as that of the 1st broadcast on Tuesday or the 2nd with Rafael Wallfisch on Chandos,again only IMO.
    “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Wednesday 13 March

I apologise for this double posting but I think this is a once-in-the-bluemoon event and deserve a wider audience. One and a half hours of uninterrupted performance of Vivaldi’s works by Europa Galante

Recorded at Warsaw's Chopin and his Europe festival last year, Vivaldi's delightful serenata 'Gloria e Imeneo', interspersed here with some of his lesser-known violin concertos

2.00pm
      Jarzebski: Canzoni e concerti (excerpts)
      Vivaldi: Serenata ’Gloria e Imeneo‘, RV.687 interspersed with Vivaldi concertos: in C, RV.186; in F, RV.288; in B flat, RV.380
      Vivica Genaux, Martina Belli (mezzos)
      Europa Galante
      Fabio Biondi,violin/conductor
      Vivaldi's delightful serenata 'Gloria e Imeneo', interspersed with some of his concertos.

Comment

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
        I apologise for this double posting but I think this is a once-in-the-bluemoon event and deserve a wider audience. One and a half hours of uninterrupted performance of Vivaldi’s works by Europa Galante

Recorded at Warsaw's Chopin and his Europe festival last year, Vivaldi's delightful serenata 'Gloria e Imeneo', interspersed here with some of his lesser-known violin concertos

2.00pm
        Jarzebski: Canzoni e concerti (excerpts)
        Vivaldi: Serenata ’Gloria e Imeneo‘, RV.687 interspersed with Vivaldi concertos: in C, RV.186; in F, RV.288; in B flat, RV.380
        Vivica Genaux, Martina Belli (mezzos)
        Europa Galante
        Fabio Biondi,violin/conductor
        https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000358k
        Some of those could easily be used as replacement "on hold" music for "the usual suspect" when phoning companies and institutions these days...

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Some of those could easily be used as replacement "on hold" music for "the usual suspect" when phoning companies and institutions these days...
          And Bach’s Orchestral Suite is already used for mobile phone ringtone

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
            Shame we've heard little of the David Matthews' 8th Symphony since its 2015 premiere,
            Broadcast on Monday afternoon’s Ao3 jayne.
            Plenty of great (not just British) music being played this week in the afternoons on Radio 3,some of which I was lucky enough to attend.
            Unfortunately my name didn’t come up in the ballot for today’s live concert,but then there’s Sibelius in it so not too fussed

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
              Broadcast on Monday afternoon’s Ao3 jayne.
              Plenty of great (not just British) music being played this week in the afternoons on Radio 3,some of which I was lucky enough to attend.
              Unfortunately my name didn’t come up in the ballot for today’s live concert,but then there’s Sibelius in it so not too fussed
              The 8th in a fresh performance too - thanks.... the 9th is due out soon on Nimbus....and there's a Concerto for Orchestra due for premiere later this year...
              (check out the composer's very informative website...)

Comment

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                The 8th in a fresh performance too - thanks.... the 9th is due out soon on Nimbus....and there's a Concerto for Orchestra due for premiere later this year...
                (check out the composer's very informative website...)
                Out now Jayne

Comment

The BBC Philharmonic, live from Salford, in a programme of works by Mieczyslaw Weinberg.

I haven’t enjoyed this yet ,it’s next week,but I’m sure I will,either in the studio (Applied for free ticket but haven’t heard anything) or at home.

Comment

Out now Jayne
                    Thanks Edge..... on Qobuz too....
                    Listen to unlimited or download Matthews: Symphony No.9 by Various Artists in Hi-Res quality on Qobuz. Subscription from £10.83/month.

CD...

Comment

Sorry it's late (I'm current melting in Madrid) but a must listen concert for British music nuts this afternoon on Radio 3 ( including Milford 2nd Symphony premiere).

Comment

Sorry it's late (I'm current melting in Madrid) but a must listen concert for British music nuts this afternoon on Radio 3 ( including Milford 2nd Symphony premiere).
                        This was an especially rich feast of offerings, of which I missed the Berners and Arnold - shall have to catch up later - but caught the magnficent Stanford V Concerto, an early work more Germanic and Schumannesque than anything one could characterise as English in spirit or idiom, (but how come it hadn't been performed before??), followed by some Vaughan Williams not previously heard by Yours Truly: some incidental music for, would you believe it, a Maeterlincke play, in which VW nods momentarily in the direction of "Le Martyr" before unGallically succumbing to bucolic folksiness; then Delius's "A Song Before Sunrise", close in character to Spring's First Cuckoo, to be followed by Robin Milford's forthright Second Symphony, from the 1930s, and then the concluding "Hebridean Dances" Op 70, a late work of Braunfels of uncharacteristic transparency that should serve to raise interest in one neglected 20th century composer. All in all, one of the best Afternoon Concerts of the year thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          This was an especially rich feast of offerings, of which I missed the Berners and Arnold - shall have to catch up later - but caught the magnficent Stanford V Concerto, an early work more Germanic and Schumannesque than anything one could characterise as English in spirit or idiom, (but how come it hadn't been performed before??), followed by some Vaughan Williams not previously heard by Yours Truly: some incidental music for, would you believe it, a Maeterlincke play, in which VW nods momentarily in the direction of "Le Martyr" before unGallically succumbing to bucolic folksiness; then Delius's "A Song Before Sunrise", close in character to Spring's First Cuckoo, to be followed by Robin Milford's forthright Second Symphony, from the 1930s, and then the concluding "Hebridean Dances" Op 70, a late work of Braunfels of uncharacteristic transparency that should serve to raise interest in one neglected 20th century composer. All in all, one of the best Afternoon Concerts of the year thus far.
                          Having caught up with this today I couldn’t agree more (a bonus hearing that Clara Schumann pc too )

Comment

Thanks ER and S-A for the heads up. Definitely one to catch up on.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

I am rather surprised to find myself saying this but the BBC Singers concert for Advent this afternoon was, I thought, excellent. An unfamiliar to me(for the most part) selection of works which I was fully expecting not to hear out given my dislike of the BBCS topline as usually heard but today I don't know who was missing or whether Graham Ross(another unfamiliar name) had managed the impossible and tamed the screechers, but it was good and I'm glad I gave it a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                I am rather surprised to find myself saying this but the BBC Singers concert for Advent this afternoon was, I thought, excellent. An unfamiliar to me(for the most part) selection of works which I was fully expecting not to hear out given my dislike of the BBCS topline as usually heard but today I don't know who was missing or whether Graham Ross(another unfamiliar name) had managed the impossible and tamed the screechers, but it was good and I'm glad I gave it a chance.
                                I had the same impression when this was broadcast.
                                Handel: Israel in Egypt: R3 in Concert Thursday 16 May

I shall make sure to listen to the Advent concert. Thank you for posting this.

Comment

Working...
                                X