Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
    a must listen concert for British music nuts this afternoon on Radio 3 (including Milford 2nd Symphony premiere).

Did anyone listen to Wednesday’s afternoon concert, live from Salford, with Ruth Gipps’s 3rd Symphony? (Preceded by Tippett and Arnold, also works which, for me at least, are off the beaten track)

Rumon Gamba conducts music by Michael Tippett, Malcolm Arnold and Ruth Gipps.

I have it downloaded ready for a listen when time permits.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Did anyone listen to Wednesday’s afternoon concert, live from Salford, with Ruth Gipps’s 3rd Symphony? (Preceded by Tippett and Arnold, also works which, for me at least, are off the beaten track)

Yes. Pleasant work, competently written and orchestrated, without showing any great degree of originality. I thought it a particularly cruel irony for Tom McKinney to quote Gipps' claim that her work was written "for Musicians who enjoy to play this Music" - when he'd already made much of the fact that they hadn't enjoyed playing it for half-a-century!
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Yes I enjoyed it,missed the Tippet though
        I had applied for free tickets for the live broadcast but was unsuccessful.
        Tasmin Little was supposed to have been on the bill but I can’t remember what she was going to play
        “Music is the best means we have of digesting time." — Igor Stravinsky

Comment

Originally posted by Edgy 2 View Post
          Tasmin Little was supposed to have been on the bill but I can’t remember what she was going to play
          Bernstein’s Serenade. Looking forward to discovering Arnold’s clarinet concerto far more...
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Bernstein’s Serenade. Looking forward to discovering Arnold’s clarinet concerto far more...
            I don't know whether it's still available, but I have a CD containing no less than 4 Arnold concertos (for 2 violins, for clarinet, for flute and the second of the 2 for horn)
            London Musici conducted by Mark Stephenson Conifer CDCF 172. Michael Collins is the clarinet soloist.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
              I don't know whether it's still available, but I have a CD containing no less than 4 Arnold concertos (for 2 violins, for clarinet, for flute and the second of the 2 for horn)
              London Musici conducted by Mark Stephenson Conifer CDCF 172. Michael Collins is the clarinet soloist.
              It is part of the Sony Malcom Arnold Conifer recordings box. 11CDs including the Vernon Handley symphonies.

Comment

According to the online schedule:

Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky

Symphony No 31 in D major
                Orchestra: Verbier Festival Chamber Orchestra. Conductor: Leonidas Kavakos
                Wow! I knew a 7th had been put together, but 31?!

The greatest tragic Italian opera before Verdi's, conducted by Antonio Pappano.

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  According to the online schedule:

Wow! I knew a 7th had been put together, but 31?!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000fgxc
                  The online information is becoming as unreliable as Radio Times - see my thread on next week's jazz scheduling!

Comment

Comment

....enjoyable Bartok String Quartet #1 this afternoon....a light approach I feel....
                      bong ching

Comment

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                        ....enjoyable Bartok String Quartet #1 this afternoon....a light approach I feel....
                        In my early twenties I played that to a 19-year old student, who ended up in tears. "If you think that's sad", I said to her, "you should hear the Sixth". She did, later, and never spoke to me again afterwards.

Comment

With enforced isolation for work and such, have had a chance to get better acquainted with Afternoon Concert offerings on my non-work laptop, starting with the Lucerne FO's "Rach 3 squared" concert conducted by Chailly several weeks back, which had, if nothing else to recommend it, the first-movement repeat in the Symphony No. 3. MG-T had also taken the repeat with the CBSO in their Lucerne Festival gig several years back. Also heard:
                          * Berlin PO / K. Petrenko / Pat. Kop. from Lucerne (weeks later, I watched the same program from earlier last year on the Digital Concert Hall)
                          * BBC SO / Joana Carneiro, where her LvB 3 could almost have been from Klemperer with respect to 2 details, namely no first-movement repeat and no silencing of the trumpet at the end of the 1st movement, i.e. not a HIPPster performance. To be honest, it wasn't a particularly scintillating account.
                          * Eva Ollikainen and the BBC SO, including Ustvolskaya's Piano Concerto and, perhaps inevitably for a Finnish conductor, Sibelius

Just today, listened to this BBC Phil concert of Elgar's Violin Concerto (soloist Christian Tetzlaff) and, one more time, Rachmaninov's Symphony No. 3, likewise again with the first-movement repeat (!). Good to know that conductors like John Storgards, Chailly, and MG-T know to do the right thing in that first movement of "the other Rach 3". Otherwise, from a mental comparison of a slightly edgy Beethoven 4 on R3 in Concert that Omer Meir Wellber led with the BBC Phil (no 1st movement repeat there, FWIW), with the sound and ensemble that Storgards got from the BBC Phil, I'm seriously wondering again whether the BBC Phil made the right choice of chief conductor in passing over Storgards, albeit with the 'consolation prize' of the chief guest conductor post.

But if nothing else, as long as you're willing to tolerate Kate Molleson and her editorializing as presenter (an admittedly minor irritation compared to the current grand scheme of things), it shows where one can find buried treasure on R3, with the time to look for it.

Comment

21st April - Afternoon Concert

Elgar: Sea Pictures, op. 37
                            Karen Cargill, contralto
                            Danish National Symphony Orchestra
                            Thomas Søndergaard, conductor

As soon as Karen Cargill started singing, I 'knew' that it was one of those rare moments when it was time to down tools and just simply listen. Gorgeous voice.

And I could listen to Hannah French all day! Such enthusiasm and a joy to listen to.
                            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
                              21st April - Afternoon Concert

Elgar: Sea Pictures, op. 37
                              Karen Cargill, contralto
                              Danish National Symphony Orchestra
                              Thomas Søndergaard, conductor

As soon as Karen Cargill started singing, I 'knew' that it was one of those rare moments when it was time to down tools and just simply listen. Gorgeous voice.

And I could listen to Hannah French all day! Such enthusiasm and a joy to listen to.
                              That's interesting, as I was disappointed with Karen Cargill's rendition - I found her voice inconsistent and at times not very pleasant.
                              Agree about Hannah French though.

Comment

Wonderful concert of English music this afternoon - Lord Berners' own Portsmouth Point overture: having switched on I thought it must be some 1920s ballet score by Prokofiev that had passed me by - there were also anticipations of Malcolm Arnold, three years before Arnold's year of birth; the early Stanford VC, Mendelssohn-influenced but substantial for all that; some Vaughan Williams we hadn't heard, written for a Maeterlinck play, of all things, and not particularly Vaughan Williamsy; a well-known Delius tone poem that repeated much of what he had already said 6 years earlier in "First Cuckoo..."; and the second symphony - from the early 1930s - of a composer previously only a name to me, Robin Milford, which sounded like Parry might have had he lived to be a very very old man, and fallen under the spell of Sibelius. I may have missed something - pre-announcements for each of these works was sparing in the extreme - did Ms Gore mention it was Alfredo Casella who actually orchestrated the Berners?

Comment

Working...
                                X