No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Braunschlag View Post
    Nelson Goerner - Wigmore Hall March 25

i was looking forward to this, especially as he programmed Balakirev, Islamey.
    Oh dear, a veritable car crash of a ‘performance’. He needs an honest agent, it was a shocker!
    What was wrong with it ? Apart from the fact I don’t like the Davidblunderstanze much. I thought his tone was a bit harsh maybe .

Comment

It was riddled with mistakes, mis- hits. If you’re going to take Islamey on then it’s wise to know the notes. Sloppy.

Comment

It was riddled with mistakes, mis- hits. If you’re going to take Islamey on then it’s wise to know the notes. Sloppy.
        I stopped listening to that after the slow section. Up to that point I’d only heard a couple of smudges . One of those pieces that gets more difficult near the end though with lots of octaves , indeed chordal octaves . Surprised - it’s well within his formidable technique, it never was the most difficult piece ever written. Some of the Liszt Etudes and Chopin Godowsky Etudes are trickier.

Comment

Ah - it got really messy after the slow section. He started off fast, couldn’t really sustain it. It’s not the greatest piece ever written but Balakirev piles on challenge after challenge. Just when you think it’s hit the peak he lobs another curved ball in. A compendium of pianistic (rather than musical) complications.

Comment

Ah - it got really messy after the slow section. He started off fast, couldn’t really sustain it. It’s not the greatest piece ever written but Balakirev piles on challenge after challenge. Just when you think it’s hit the peak he lobs another curved ball in. A compendium of pianistic (rather than musical) complications.
            He’s not alone in making a hash of the final pages. Those are amongst some of the most difficult octave passages ever written - but some pianists doesn’t find octaves that tricky . It’s a silly bit of music isn’t it really . The Liszt transcendentals ( in their various versions ) are much more worth the effort . Not that I can play much of them

Comment

Yes, it’s a stunt piece of course! But there are some priceless renditions - Pletnev (twice, Carnegie and RFH), Berezovsky, Pogo Stick, Kissin, Gavrilov -
              all live and edge of seat.

Comment

Yes, it’s a stunt piece of course! But there are some priceless renditions - Pletnev (twice, Carnegie and RFH), Berezovsky, Pogo Stick, Kissin, Gavrilov -
                all live and edge of seat.
                Must be a Moscow Conservatory test piece. They do horrible things like timed Hanon exercises with the metronome speed constantly cranked up.
                Berezovsky once said he could work up the transcendentals in a week but Chopin Godowsky took a fortnight. It’s ridiculous..

Comment

The comments encourage me to listen! The only Islamey I have on record is Pletnev at Carnegie and its mighty impressive.
                  Of more interest to me is the Schumann which isn't performed that often.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                    I rather like the Davidsbündlertänze. I bought a couple of secondhand CDs on spec a while back because I didn't know Schumann's piano music. These were vols 1 and 4 of the Nimbus recordings performed by Daniel Levy. Would they reach an RR shortlist? - I took a dislike to the performance of Träumerei but I did enjoy Gesänge der Frühe op 133 and Waldszenen op 82.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Looking forward to today's Lunchtime Concert

BEETHOVEN Sonata no. 31 in A flat major, Op. 110
                      SCRIABIN 4 Preludes Op. 22
                      BEETHOVEN Sonata no. 23 in F minor ‘Appassionata’, Op. 57

Alim Beisembayev, piano
                      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
                        Looking forward to today's Lunchtime Concert

BEETHOVEN Sonata no. 31 in A flat major, Op. 110
                        SCRIABIN 4 Preludes Op. 22
                        BEETHOVEN Sonata no. 23 in F minor ‘Appassionata’, Op. 57

Alim Beisembayev, piano
                        And rightly so . It’s absolutely superb playing .

Comment

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post

And rightly so . It’s absolutely superb playing .
                          This is the pianist who replaced Benjamin Grosvenor at the Proms last year, at 2 days' notice.
                          Alim Beisembayev was drafted into the Proms with just 36 hours notice when another musician fell ill.

[Sage comment about the classical cannon in the BBC story - 1812?.]
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Today's Concert. Niamh OSullivan - a voice to remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                              Today's Concert. Niamh OSullivan - a voice to remember.
                              Agreed. Rewarding interpretations and lovely tone.

Comment

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                                The comments encourage me to listen! The only Islamey I have on record is Pletnev at Carnegie and its mighty impressive.
                                Having listened to the repeat today, I thought the Schumann and Handel excellent and the Balakirev so hell-for-leather that regardless of accuracy it carried me along, just as some Horowitz live recordings do.

Comment

Working...
                                X