Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
    .. and "Through the Night" was only a glimmer in Donald M's eye.

Yes, I was working / PhD-ing around then as well - but tape recorders & timers helped, hence the ringing (and I had a tape-radio for the SEM room / lab / office, often for nights).

Good spot with the Griffes gaffe.

I'd agree about In Tune.

(Happy with the repeats, but did I miss one? 9.35, 10.20, 2.00, 9.45, 11.00.)
    1400: 'Details as Saturday 9.30 a.m.'

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
      1400: 'Details as Saturday 9.30 a.m.'
      Think I had that one - but in RT time format "9.35, 10.20, 2.00, 9.45, 11.00"

Comment

but tape recorders & timers helped, hence the ringing (and I had a tape-radio for the SEM room / lab / office, often for nights).
        Timers? High tech! I used to set my alarm clock and leap out of bed to tape a bit of unknown Mozart. And then listen until it was finished and go back to bed.

Good spot with the Griffes gaffe.
        Just a typo. And incidentally I don't think one could complain that Morning Concert 'wasn't a concert'. Breakfast isn't a breakfast either.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Timers? High tech! I used to set my alarm clock and leap out of bed to tape a bit of unknown Mozart. And then listen until it was finished and go back to bed.
          Just a typo. And incidentally I don't think one could complain that Morning Concert 'wasn't a concert'. Breakfast isn't a breakfast either.
          And Essential Classics are anything but?

I did much the same with the much-missed World Service dramas, usually ~1am. Still have some of the tapes (inc. 4 missing plays returned to BBC Archives in 2013).

Comment

Very struck by this work - Caroline Shaw new to me:

17.3.2024 01:18 AM
            Caroline Shaw (b.1982)
            Three Essays
            Calidore String Quartet​

I will write more later.

Comment

kernelbogey Shaw was the item on a recent (first week of Jan, I think?) Kate Molleson 'Composer of the Week'. Very interesting and very good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtank View Post
                kernelbogey Shaw was the item on a recent (first week of Jan, I think?) Kate Molleson 'Composer of the Week'. Very interesting and very good.
                She has in fact been pretty well served by R3 over the years according to Andrew's database (not getting the number of days to register correctly, Andrew).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Here's what we missed today - available via EBU Notturno from more generous broadcasters, e.g. Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/2352463
                  I'm listening to the Bach Easter Oratorio now & thoroughly enjoying it.
                  Why, oh why, didn't they choose this segment over the Mahler 2 hour segment?

01:01 Johann Sebastian Bach; Oster-oratorio (BWV.249); Susanne Ryden (soprano), Tone M. Wik (soprano), Marianne Kielland (contralto), Andrew Carwood (tenor), Lars Johansson Brissman (bass), Norwegian Baroque Orchestra, Joshua Rifkin (conductor)
                  01:42 Karol Szymanowski; Piano Sonata no 2 in A major, Op 21; Jerzy Godziszewski (piano)
                  02:11 Arcangelo Corelli; Sonata da Chiesa in A major, Op 1 no 3; London Baroque
                  02:18 Jean-Baptiste Forqueray; La Morangis, ou La Plissay - chaconne; Teodoro Bau (viola da gamba), Deniel Perer (harpsichord)
                  02:26 Ludwig van Beethoven; Romance in G major for violin and orchestra, Op 40; Igor Ozim (violin), RTV Slovenia Symphony Orchestra, Samo Hubad (conductor)
                  02:34 Enrique Granados; La Maja y el Ruisenor - from Goyescas; Marilyn Richardson (soprano), Queensland Symphony Orchestra, Vladimir Kamirski (conductor)
                  02:41 Hugo Wolf; Italian serenade; Bartok String Quartet
                  02:48 Felix Mendelssohn; Erster Verlust (First Loss) , Op 99 no 1; Kaia Urb (soprano), Heiki Matlik (guitar)
                  02:51 Carl Maria von Weber, Unknown (arranger); Concertino for oboe and wind ensemble in C major (arr. for trumpet); Geoffrey Payne (trumpet), Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, Michael Halasz (conductor)

Information from this Notturno webpage.

More details on the Bach from this 2006 BBC Notturno webpage
                  ​Bach, Johann Sebastian (1685-1750)
                  Oster-oratorio (BWV.249)
                  [Sinfonia; Adagio; Kommt, eilet und laufet (Duet & chorus); O kalter Männer Sinn! (Recit); Seele, deine Spezereien sollen nicht mehr Myrrhen sein (Aria); Hier ist die Gruft, und hier der Stein (Recit); Sanfte soll mein Todeskummer nur ein Schlummer (Aria); In dessen seufzen wir - Ach! ach! könnt (Recit - arioso); Saget, saget mir geschwinde (Aria); Wir sind erfreut (Recit); Preis und Dank - er offnet, ihr Himmel (Chorus)
                  Susanne Rydén & Tone M. Wik (sopranos), Marianne Kielland (contralto), Andrew Carwood (tenor), Lars Johansson Brissman (bass), Norwegian Baroque Orchestra; Joshua Rifkin (conductor) [Recorded Jacob Cultural Church 09 April 2003]​

Comment

Why, oh why, didn't they choose this segment over the Mahler 2 hour segment?
                    Another chance to hear (and see) Mahler 2 at 9.00 p.m on Wednesday on Sky Arts - a complete performance following the 3 excellent 'backstage' programmes featuring the various sections of the LPO together with a host of informative insights from Edward Gardener.

(OH DEAR .......)

I'm afraid my hopes that there would be no advertising break were dashed after some 40 minutes, at which point I switched off for fear that there might be another one before the final movement, thus undoing all the performers' good work and further marring my enjoyment.
                    Last edited by LMcD; 06-04-24, 11:07. Reason: Post-broadcast update

Comment

Here's what was replaced by drivel today - available from more generous broadcaster via EBU Notturno, e.g. Swedish radio https://sverigesradio.se/avsnitt/2354337

00:31 Silvius Leopold Weiss; Suite No.17 in F minor; Konrad Junghanel (lute)
                      00:59 Georg Philipp Telemann; Alles redet itzt und singet, TWV 20:10; Barbara Schlick (soprano), Stephen Varcoe (bass), Michael Schneider (recorder), Konrad Hunteler (recorder), Hans-Peter Westermann (oboe), Pieter Dhont (oboe), Michael McCraw (bassoon), Das Kleine Konzert, Hermann Max (conductor)
                      01:28 Dorothy Howell; Two Pieces for Muted Strings; BBC Symphony Orchestra, Michael Collins (conductor)
                      01:37 Erik Satie; Gnossienne no 1 for piano; Havard Gimse (piano)
                      01:42 Antonio Lotti; Sonata for 2 oboes, bassoon and continuo in F major, 'Echo sonata'; Rinaldo Alessandrini (harpsichord), Ensemble Zefiro
                      01:52 Wilhelm Stenhammar; Florez and Blanzeflor, Op 3; Peter Mattei (baritone), Swedish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Manfred Honeck (conductor)
                      02:00 Traditional, Steven Wingfield (arranger); 3 Bulgarian Dances arr. Wingfield for violin and guitar; Moshe Hammer (violin), William Beauvais (guitar)
                      02:07 Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart; Flute Quartet in G K.285a; Joanna G'froerer (flute), Martin Beaver (violin), Pinchas Zukerman (viola), Amanda Forsyth (cello)
                      02:18 Gustav Holst; Ave Maria (Hail Mary); Chamber Choir AVE, Andraz Hauptman (conductor)
                      02:24 Claude Debussy; La cathédrale engloutie; Claude Debussy (piano)
                      Info from https://www.ebu.ch/files/live/sites/...ril%202024.pdf

The Weiss was beautiful & new to me, the Telemann & Lotti I also enjoyed.​
                      Last edited by AuntDaisy; 06-04-24, 15:06. Reason: Corrected Telemann start time

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        Another chance to hear (and see) Mahler 2 at 9.00 p.m on Wednesday on Sky Arts - a complete performance following the 3 excellent 'backstage' programmes featuring the various sections of the LPO together with a host of informative insights from Edward Gardener.

(OH DEAR .......)

I'm afraid my hopes that there would be no advertising break were dashed after some 40 minutes, at which point I switched off for fear that there might be another one before the final movement, thus undoing all the performers' good work and further marring my enjoyment.
                        Very frustrating. Were the adverts at the end of a movement (the 3rd?) ?

Comment

Very frustrating. Were the adverts at the end of a movement (the 3rd?) ?
                          At the end of the 2nd movement.

Comment

I'm puzzled by my experience of TTN last night: there seemed to be no presenter, just piece of music following piece of music. Admittedly, I had a head cold and reception [on a Walkman's radio function] wasn't of the best but four pieces were played with no presenter's contribution.

Comment

They've started doing this in 'Classical Live' at about 3.40 pm when it starts to turn a bit crossover-and-trailer-ish. I suspect it's deliberate and we may epect TTN to be 'an uninterrupted sequence of soothing music' soon.

Comment

Originally posted by AHR View Post
                                I'm puzzled by my experience of TTN last night: there seemed to be no presenter, just piece of music following piece of music. Admittedly, I had a head cold and reception [on a Walkman's radio function] wasn't of the best but four pieces were played with no presenter's contribution.
                                I wasn't listening last night but it has happened before. The music and the presenter's commentary are on different tracks, merged during broadcast, and occasionally it goes wrong.

I had the impression a week or so ago of hearing the presenter speaking over the music, but this was possibly a sleepy hallucination!

Comment

Working...
                                X