Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    Average? No way! I focused on Sinopoli because that was the one we appear to be least familiar with.

I bought Haitink’s VPO 3 & 8 Philips coupling last night as a download from Qobuz. Presto have it for seven shillings less, but I only looked on Presto after I’d made my purchase. I was down for a while, but after a few hours I’d got over it and it didn’t ruin my evening.

I think it is a terrific recording that can, in its own way, stand up to the Karajan, Bohm et al stalwarts. I’ve only listened to it through once but I can tell it’s going to be a grower.

I have come very late to Haitink’s Bruckner, even though I’ve been to several of his Bruckner concerts down the years, including a wonderful #7 about 15 years ago (?) with the Berlin Philharmonic; standing in for their then music director, Claudio Abbado who had the ‘flu. Although I was upset that Claudio was ill, I was actually pleased to be having Haitink conduct instead of Abbado.

Uncle Bernie seems to be my dark horse.
    I was present at that BPO/Haitink Bruckner 7 Prom too (Aug 28 2000) but, as we now know, Abbado had something a good deal more serious than flu.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I was present at that BPO/Haitink Bruckner 7 Prom too (Aug 28 2000) but, as we now know, Abbado had something a good deal more serious than flu.
      How time flies!

You always amaze me with how you know the date when you bought such and such recording, or went to X or Y concert!!

I had a great seat too (back then I did roughly 40% promming and 60% seats).

Comment

Oh Ye Of Little Faith!

I've eventually got my hands on that dusty old cassette tape ... I exaggerated slightly as it's only just over 27 years old!

It was a Proms performance of Bruckner 3 in 1989 by the Philharmonia/Sinopoli and, according to the female presenter, whose name I failed to catch, it was 'a very warm evening'.

Much more controversial she then went on to describe Bruckner's 1877 effort as the composer's FIRST DEFINITIVE VERSION.

According to Wiki it was the 1877 version which ended in a complete shambles under Bruckner himself in Vienna. For years I have wrongly assumed it was the original 1873 version which was performed. Silly me, I should have guessed things would never be quite that simple with this composer of all composers.

We live and we continue to learn!

Comment

Originally posted by P. G. Tipps View Post
          Oh Ye Of Little Faith!

I've eventually got my hands on that dusty old cassette tape ... I exaggerated slightly as it's only just over 27 years old!

It was a Proms performance of Bruckner 3 in 1989 by the Philharmonia/Sinopoli and, according to the female presenter, whose name I failed to catch, it was 'a very warm evening'.

Much more controversial she then went on to describe Bruckner's 1877 effort as the composer's FIRST DEFINITIVE VERSION.

According to Wiki it was the 1877 version which ended in a complete shambles under Bruckner himself in Vienna. For years I have wrongly assumed it was the original 1873 version which was performed. Silly me, I should have guessed things would never be quite that simple with this composer of all composers.

We live and we continue to learn!
          Excellent!!

Would’ve been something to have attended that Prom.

I don’t have much by way of some of the later releases of this symphony e.g. Schaller, Van Zweden, Blomstedt, Saraste, Jansons, Venzago, Nott et al. My recordings are mainly 'the usual suspects'. I wonder how these new recordings will fare against the more established ones.

Venzago is the only one of the newer lot that I have as a CPO download from Qobuz (c/w #6). Oh, and the Norrington London Classical Players, but that’s quite old now and I bought it when it was first released.
          Last edited by Beef Oven!; 31-12-16, 08:50.

Comment

In return I've ordered Sinopoli.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
              In return I've ordered Sinopoli.

Comment

I get a sense that Blomstedt Gewandhaus may be the recommendation. The cycle is £116 on Amazon (single CD of #3 is £14.42).

The Simone Young sounded very good.
                Last edited by Beef Oven!; 31-12-16, 11:25.

Comment

I get a sense that Blomstedt Gewandhaus may be the recommendation. The cycle is £116 on Amazon (single CD of #3 is#14.40).

Indeed, so a costless BaL for me. I got the Blomstedt SACD around the time of its release.

Comment

I get a sense that Blomstedt Gewandhaus may be the recommendation. The cycle is £116 on Amazon (single CD of #3 is#14.40).

Riccardo Chailly, Tennstedt, Haitink for me!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Indeed, so a costless BaL for me. I got the Blomstedt SACD around the time of its release.
                      BaL recommending unavailable recordings is becoming something of a habit.

Comment

“Not available anywhere at all” [the Blomstedt recommendation]?? How about Amazon for fourteen pounds eight shillings and fourpence?

Comment

A rather extraordinary dismissal of the Tintner without even playing an extract .

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                            Riccardo Chailly, Tennstedt, Haitink for me!
                            I might get that Tennstedt. Sounded rather good.

Comment

Quite - and the complete box (though it has always been rather pricey, even when I bought it months ago), is also available. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruckner-Sy...GHG9FWMNHMF3JN
                              "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

Like others here I'm not a huge TS fan as I often find the breathless hyperbolic guff somewhat overpowering ...

However, I thought he was excellent (and mercifully calm-sounding) in his BAL debut this morning. He knows his Bruckner alright and he chose the right version for his recommendation, imo. R3 may well have discovered the perfect slot for him?

I'm not familiar with the Blomstedt account but will rectify that tomorrow morning ... a great start to 2017!

Comment

Working...
                                X