Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    “Not available anywhere at all” [the Blomstedt recommendation]?? How about Amazon for fourteen pounds eight shillings and fourpence?
    Do you have a link? I've found Karafan's box set link, but judging by the other prices, these may well be the last sets available.

I listed the recording because it was on the Presto website, but apparently it's diasappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      “Not available anywhere at all” [the Blomstedt recommendation]?? How about Amazon for fourteen pounds eight shillings and fourpence?
      Not in stock. Draw your own conclusions. Not a hint of it at QOBUZ either. I will back up the CD layer of my disc forthwith, just in case of accident.

To add salt to others' multiple wounds, I just checked. I paid £7.78 plus £1.26 p&p for my disc.
      Last edited by Bryn; 31-12-16, 11:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        BaL recommending unavailable recordings is becoming something of a habit.
        It's sloppy. Surely the purpose of BaL is to choose a recording which is currently available? And no, reviewers aren't allowed to consider a recording as "available" if it's on sale from an Amazon marketplace seller.
        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

It was a tightly argued, well presented BaL. What to include and what to leave out was handled judiciously, IMV.

Editions/versions minefield was dealt with singularly and expeditiously - Well done TS!!

Comment

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
            It's sloppy. Surely the purpose of BaL is to choose a recording which is currently available? And no, reviewers aren't allowed to consider a recording as "available" if it's on sale from an Amazon marketplace seller.
            It’s available “Dispatched by and sold From Amazon”. It’s available (albeit 1 left!!!)

UPDATE: Last one sold!

Comment

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              Do you have a link? I've found Karafan's box set link, but judging by the other prices, these may well be the last sets available.

I listed the recording because it was on the Presto website, but apparently it's diasappeared.
              It has just sold out, it was available earlier before TS recommended it!

Here’s the link anyway .........

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Not in stock. Draw your own conclusions. Not a hint of it at QOBUZ either. I will back up the CD layer of my disc forthwith, just in case of accident.

To add salt to others' multiple wounds, I just checked. I paid £7.78 plus £1.26 p&p for my disc.
                Nor on Presto

Comment

Well, in for a penny, in for a Euro. I've just bought the Blomstedt through amazon.de for about £18

Wouldn't previously have picked Tom S to sell me anything, but IMHO the boy dun good on a nigh-impossible task
                  I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

I can't understand why he chose the Blomstedt, despite his reasoning!!! Tom Service for you. Yes, usually as soon as his name appears, I shudder. But he did give a good lucid argument for his case. But I am inclined to disagree.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

I looked long and hard to find this to listen to online, but failed.

Paul Hindemith conducts Bruckner & Hindemith
                      Symphony No. 3 in D minor ‘Wagner Symphony'
                      Mannheim, 3rd May 1960
                      Mannheim Nationaltheater Orchestra

anyway, available for about £8 from prestoclassical, so might make an interesting punt as one appears not to continue building a library with the BaL recommendation.
                      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

The Blomstedt is stated to be an SACD and 'requires SACD compatible hardware' which (correct me if I am wrong) means it won't play on a non SACD player.

Comment

Originally posted by hafod View Post
                          The Blomstedt is stated to be an SACD and 'requires SACD compatible hardware' which (correct me if I am wrong) means it won't play on a non SACD player.
                          Amazon often get this wrong. It is definitely a hybrid SACD compatible with standard CD players.

A complete list of all SA-CD titles worldwide with reviews, news and more.

Comment

There are still copies available on Amazon, from Germany and Japan - at higher prices.

Comment

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                              I looked long and hard to find this to listen to online, but failed.

Paul Hindemith conducts Bruckner & Hindemith
                              Symphony No. 3 in D minor ‘Wagner Symphony'
                              Mannheim, 3rd May 1960
                              Mannheim Nationaltheater Orchestra

anyway, available for about £8 from prestoclassical, so might make an interesting punt as one appears not to continue building a library with the BaL recommendation.
                              Search for "Symphony No.3/Concerto Music for Brass and Strings" at amazon.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Amazon often get this wrong. It is definitely a hybrid SACD compatible with standard CD players.

http://www.sa-cd.net/showtitle/7710
                                Phew! Hafod worried me even though amazon.de had said it was compatible.
                                I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Working...
                                X