This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
    There's too much to wade through, it takes forever. I often give up half way through. It's a shame.
    Yes.

The thread is in its own self-contained section of "Talking About Music" to which presumably a second one could be added. With the two in that section, there would be no risk of not being able to find the first thread as it would be alongside it rather than slipping down the TAM page. There may be a wider point about the search facility. When I type in something like "Lilburn", I do not necessarily locate the key posts but rather it's the threads in which "Lilburn" was mentioned. If they are long threads, that can be a challenge.

Comment

Sorry - is this Thread to tell people what we've been listening to, or to discuss whether we need a new Thread to talk about what we've been listening to to replace the older one?

If the former:

Today (to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the death of Leonard Bernstein)

Mahler Symphony Number 6 in A minor (1904 version); NYPO/Bernstein. (CBS/SONY)
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Sorry - is this Thread to tell people what we've been listening to, or to discuss whether we need a new Thread to talk about what we've been listening to to replace the older one?

If the former:

Today (to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the death of Leonard Bernstein)

Mahler Symphony Number 6 in A minor (1904 version); NYPO/Bernstein. (CBS/SONY)
        Ibid

Today (to celebrate the 257th anniversary of Austria's defeat of Prussia in the Seven Years' War at the battle of Hochkirch).

Ravel - Bolero
        Ravel - Daphnis & Chloe Suite #1
        Debussy - La Mer
        Mussorgsky - Pictures At An Exhibition

Berlin Philharmonic, Herbert von Karajan. Later, digital versions, Deutsche Grammophon.

Comment

Well I wont be contributing anymore
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            ?

Comment

Means what it says
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Just watched Die Berliner Philharmoniker under Sir Simon playing Beethoven 8 & 6 in the Digital Concert Hall. Fantastic playing from the orchestra but I'm still not convinced the Viennese Classics are Rattle's forte. The second movement of the Pastoral seemed interminable.

It's a bit like looking at the workings of a fabulous Swiss watch without learning what the time is.

Comment

Means what it says
                  What I was questioning was why you feel like that.

Lat's suggestion makes a lot of sense and doesn't pose a problem for your OP.

Comment

What's happened here,don't go BBM.

Comment

Vaughan Williams symphony no. 6 from a BBC music magazine that I now longer have the info. for. The disc has been sitting on the window sill and has been bleached by the sun! It still plays but the writing is so faded now I can't read it.

Very good performance though.

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                        Vaughan Williams symphony no. 6 from a BBC music magazine that I now longer have the info. for. The disc has been sitting on the window sill and has been bleached by the sun! It still plays but the writing is so faded now I can't read it.

Lol!

I have that disc somewhere, too

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post

"April 2013 BBCMM356 VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Symphony 6 in E minor BBCSO / Boult"

Comment

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            "April 2013 BBCMM356 VAUGHAN WILLIAMS Symphony 6 in E minor BBCSO / Boult"

Many thanks.

Comment

I was so enthralled by Trevor Pinnock's Haydn series that I ordered his complete Mozart. The Haydn features some really unbuttoned playing with whooping horns, punchy tympani and other felicities.. The Mozart set so far seems more restrained so I am a tad disappointed but it is still first rate. My other historically informed set is Hogwood and I have enjoyed it but I think it will be Pinnock for me in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                                I was so enthralled by Trevor Pinnock's Haydn series that I ordered his complete Mozart. The Haydn features some really unbuttoned playing with whooping horns, punchy tympani and other felicities.. The Mozart set so far seems more restrained so I am a tad disappointed but it is still first rate. My other historically informed set is Hogwood and I have enjoyed it but I think it will be Pinnock for me in the future.

I had a similar experience, I bought both the Haydn and Mozart sets last year. However, on further listening, the Pinnock Mozart really grew on me.

Of the other Mozart periodish performances that I have, I quite like the Hogwood/AoAM.

Comment

Working...
                                X