This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    Admittedly, not having had much thought on this, I do find that my long running thread seems to take forever to load up. Perhaps, Frenchie, you could begin a fresh one, and it being a 'sticky', as well.
    I will stick it and differentiate the titles.

When we have a whole listful of sticky 'What are you listening to nows' I will think of another solution
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Oven! View Post
      Humphrey Searle - Night Music Op.5
      BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, Alun Francis. CPO.

Moving quickly on to one of the forum's favourites, David Mathews

Symphony #1 followed by #3.

BBC National Orchestra Of Wales, Martyn Brabbins. Dutton.

Comment

Ferney

If I may ask: Did you consider the Ninth for the Bernstein 25th or was it always going to be the Sixth?

Just sort of wondering ...

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
          Ferney
          If I may ask: Did you consider the Ninth for the Bernstein 25th or was it always going to be the Sixth?
          Just sort of wondering ...
          Recent Forum discussions - and Elder's performance the other night - made the Sixth most "topical" of his recordings for me. (Really, it should have been the Bernstein Serenade and the Mozart Requiem. Or even the Britten Sea Interludes & Beethoven #7 - a recording of astonishing intensity, but showing what Bernstein could achieve when mustering his will-power to overcome his physical frailty, rather than the conductor at the height of his powers.)
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            Yes, they are here and a little nonplussed by the unprecedentness of the situation. And the deluge of responses (in my case, while i wasn't looking).

Need to know more about how people use the thread (other than in posting what they're listening to) and what difficulties they're encountering.

What do you use the thread for and what difficulties have you? For instance, I had no difficulty going to the first and last posts of the old thread a moment or two ago, almost instantaneously.
            Thanks for your comments frenchfrank.

I am on a new computer with ok speeds. WAYLTN varies considerably in the way that other threads don't do. It is sometimes very quick but mostly it takes about 15-30 seconds to access. My feeling is that might depend on the number of visitors at the time as well as the extraordinary number of pages although I could be wrong. 85% of the time it is slow.

I don't want to rock the boat. When I posted I felt my suggestion wouldn't attract controversy. I fully understand how/why it is a valued thread and that many wish to access earlier posts. No one would want to see it dropping into Page 4 of "Talking About Music". But to have a Part 1 and a Part 2 as a "sticky" - there is some irony in that word - might help and it would ensure that Part 1 is just as noticeable as it is already. If the technical experts feel I'm barking up the wrong tree, fine, but others' comments suggest that I may not be.

Maybe as a compromise to review at 2000?
            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 15-10-15, 20:41.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              Recent Forum discussions - and Elder's performance the other night - made the Sixth most "topical" of his recordings for me. (Really, it should have been the Bernstein Serenade and the Mozart Requiem. Or even the Britten Sea Interludes & Beethoven #7 - a recording of astonishing intensity, but showing what Bernstein could achieve when mustering his will-power to overcome his physical frailty, rather than the conductor at the height of his powers.)
              Oh, I do fancy that Britten/Beethoven combo now ...

Comment

Poor BBM losing his thread.

As the originator of the old BBC thread of the same name I too have been there!!

Comment

I saw the last three movements of Beethoven 7 played by Die Berliner Philharmoniker on the Digital Concert Hall conducted by Sir Simon. (Alas, I was at work and missed the earlier part). Two contra bassoons in the seventh!! Amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Lat-Literal View Post
                    I am on a new computer with ok speeds. WAYLTN varies considerably in the way that other threads don't do. It is sometimes very quick but mostly it takes about 15-30 seconds to access. My feeling is that might depend on the number of visitors at the time as well as the extraordinary number of pages although I could be wrong. 85% of the time it is slow.
                    Given that the "pages" don't all load the number of them shouldn't really make any difference ?
                    Or are they all buffered?
                    Most of the data is simply text which shouldn't be a problem
                    or am I missing something?

Comment

Mahler 5 - Simón Bolívar SO/Dudamel: the January 2015 live RFH performance. Third movement: wonderful solo horn playing!
                      "...the isle is full of noises,
                      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                        Mahler 5 - Simón Bolívar SO/Dudamel: the January 2015 live RFH performance. Third movement: wonderful solo horn playing!
                        Well, I am definitely taking that cue.

Thanks Caliban.

This is in Paris in the same month - and I'm listening to it now.

Gustav Mahler - Symphony No 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F5G9JngqZY

People "give" Mahler, don't they.

I've noticed that - Chris did.

I still remember his enthusiasm and his encouragement.

And I find it interesting that they do.
                        Last edited by Lat-Literal; 15-10-15, 23:21.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                          I will stick it and differentiate the titles.

When we have a whole listful of sticky 'What are you listening to nows' I will think of another solution
                          Couldn't the oldest ones just fall off the edge over time and be archived somewhere? I never noticed any slowness in loading the page but think a years worth could be put away somewhere but kept accessible for those who want it.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                            Yes!

37 minutes in to it.

It's both dreamy and "grown up".

(Dudamel is heroic, of course)

(50 in - I think this is going to be a significant work for me)
                            Last edited by Lat-Literal; 15-10-15, 23:56.

Comment

That was interesting to me. I am a reasonably intelligent and open minded music explorer with some breadth of detailed knowledge. I have always considered Mahler to be on the border of what I might like and the absence of knowledge of his symphonies may astound or not. I don't know and it hardly matters because I enjoy music and access what I can at any time, learning and hopefully educating or at least making people happy with what I locate. That made an impact. It works for me at this time. It is the gateway in to Mahler that I always anticipated would occur at a certain point. Loved the strings and especially the brass. There are some exceptionally beautiful moments. His music is a city without an obviously identifiable centre - spatially I've thought the same about Valencia, Marseille, Birmingham - but one may have to go with it and appreciate it for what it is. Enough said.

(Well, it will be the full, similarly borderline symphonic Sibelius and Bruckner next - a proper listening rather than cursory from a relatively positive starting point!- actually it has rolled onto Dudamel's Sibelius 2 and that is sounding mighty fine too - must be something about this non British and non Latino-Mediterranean October '15 London/Surrey night!!!)
                              Last edited by Lat-Literal; 16-10-15, 00:46.

Comment

George Rochberg - Imago Mundi
                                Saarbrücken Radio Symphony Orchestra, Christopher Lyndon Gee. Naxos.

Comment

Working...
                                X