Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    And I was, of course, being a smart aleck and indulging in a cheap (cheep cheep) jeu de mots...
    I understood that, but thought the further interesting research merited another post.

And, after all, there's now room for a new generation who weren't born when CFM started!
    Last edited by Guest; 10-01-14, 21:26. Reason: Afterthought

Comment

Originally posted by Don Petter View Post
      I understood that, but thought the further interesting research merited another post.
      You carry on winging it old chum

We won't get in a flap.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

I've only just noticed this thread (it's in what I think of as the serious section of the Forum) but, to repeat what I'd posted in 'What are you listening to now', this site vaut le détour:

'Uitvorenden' is a list - by performer or conductor or orchestra of what they happen to have on offer at the time from a very rich archive of broadcast concerts - in excellent sound (maybe not up to 320kbps but I'm not sure I could tell the difference). The advantage over the KCO's otherwise even richer hoard of treasurable performances is that you can choose what you want to listen to, although I have often simply gone to the KCO site and simply listened - sometimes for several hours - to what they were broadcasting at the time. Sometimes serendipity intervenes with other stations (a recent chance clicking on MDR coincided with a broadcast of Riccardo Chailly's very fine Gewandhaus Mahler 6th - see http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html for other stations).
        Last edited by HighlandDougie; 11-01-14, 21:04.

Comment

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
          I've only just noticed this thread (it's in what I think of as the serious section of the Forum) but, to repeat what I'd posted in 'What are you listening to now', this site vaut le détour:

'Uitvorenden' is a list - by performer or conductor or orchestra of what they happen to have on offer at the time from a very rich archive of broadcast concerts - in excellent sound (maybe not up to 320kbps but I'm not sure I could tell the difference). The advantage over the KCO's otherwise even richer hoard of treasurable performances is that you can choose what you want to listen to, although I have often simply gone to the KCO site and simply listened - sometimes for several hours - to what they were broadcasting at the time. Sometimes serendipity intervenes with other stations (a recent chance clicking on MDR coincided with a broadcast of Riccardo Chailly's very fine Gewandhaus Mahler 6th - see http://www.listenlive.eu/classical.html for other stations).
          I've been listening to the concerts on here all week since your alert last Sunday for which much thanks. There is some magnificent stuff here and it's a simple matter to record them to disc (for private use of course!). I've just been listening to Otto Klemperer in a live 1964 Beethoven concert. There is Bruckner from Haitink and Jochum and Mahler from Kubelik and much else besides.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

[QUOTE=HighlandDougie;369193]I've only just noticed this thread (it's in what I think of as the serious section of the Forum) but, to repeat what I'd posted in 'What are you listening to now', this site vaut le détour:

Would anyone know how to get this to work in a Squeezebox Touch?

Comment

[QUOTE=soileduk;369289]
              Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post

Would anyone know how to get this to work in a Squeezebox Touch?
              I think there's a QUOTE problem here. Maybe need a closing /QUOTE! Looks like I've managed to get it into my reply too - I'll fix when the previous postings are sorted.

In the meantime I'll try to check out how to get that on a Squeezebox. Is there anything special about a Touch which would be different from any of the other Squeezeboxes? Not to worry anyway - it's just a bit harder for me to check that as a unit I have access to is not currently deployed. Someone else might beat me too it.

Comment

2 favourites stations here are:

radio4.nl - especially Ernst Daniël Smid's opera programme on Sunday at 1700 (UK time)
                and
                finemusicfm.com - it's based in Sydney so it's usually their "through the night" programmes when we switch it on here

Comment

Has anyone else come across Radio Classica Brescia?

I enjoy it very much: news read at breakneck speed (too fast even for Pulcinella's only half-decent Italian!), occasional adverts (usually for sales at Salvini Autos), but decent basic presentation, usually telling you speeds of movements, and thus how many, for example: would that R3 gave us this information! Best of all is the wonderfully uncompromising Italian phonetic pronunciation of performers, composers, etc, which would cause apoplexy to certain members here! Sir Neville Marriner conducting The Academy of St Martin in the Fields in Vaughan Williams was priceless!

Pulcinella

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    Has anyone else come across Radio Classica Brescia?
                    Which seems to be here.

I don't know why there are so many comments asking why there was no music. Either it was temporarily not functioning or they didn't understand the meaning of the word PLAY.

Welcome, Pulcinella, btw!
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.
                      That seems to be it.
                      I listen via my trusty Roberts WM-202. There are occasional dropouts, but I attribute them to BT Infinity!

I assume that the stations mentioned here that have web addresses given are accessible only via a PC/Mac, but am I missing something? Perhaps I have to search for a station listing in the radio display. I have tried that a few times and not found what I thought I was looking for!

Happy to be enlightened, but preferably in words of one syllable that I stand a reasonable chance of understanding!

Pulcinella

Comment

I imagined they would all be available on an internet radio - it seems(?) that the WM 202 is no longer available, so perhaps an, ahem, later model would make the search easier?

I access them through iTunes on my computer, but might be tempted to get an internet radio if I redevelop a need to listen to radio.

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                        Thanks for the welcome.
                        That seems to be it.
                        I listen via my trusty Roberts WM-202. There are occasional dropouts, but I attribute them to BT Infinity!

I assume that the stations mentioned here that have web addresses given are accessible only via a PC/Mac, but am I missing something? Perhaps I have to search for a station listing in the radio display. I have tried that a few times and not found what I thought I was looking for!

Happy to be enlightened, but preferably in words of one syllable that I stand a reasonable chance of understanding!

Pulcinella
                        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

If you are into more challenging and experimental material then I'd highly recommend Earwaves, from Soma FM:

http://somafm.com/earwaves/

http://somafm.com/earwaves/songhistory.html

http://somafm.com/earwaves/artists.html

They also have a 128k AAC+ stream (oddly not listed on the Soma FM page) which sounds very good: http://173.239.76.147:5106

Regards,
                          Nick

Comment

The link below gives access to a fantastic blog site - A Japanese music lover who daily posts links to orchestral concerts accessible for varying periods of time online - includes Radio 3 and also a vast number of concerts from around the world. http://orchestraondemand.blogspot.co.uk/

Membership of the yahoo discussion group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/concertarchive/info has to be applied for but is free and gives access to an astonishing number of concerts given around the world.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph green View Post
                              . . . Membership of the yahoo discussion group https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/concertarchive/info has to be applied for but is free and gives access to an astonishing number of concerts given around the world.
                              Well from the superficial description at that site it looks as though it might be interesting, but it is quite impossible for persons such as I who do not use a portable or "mobile" tele-phone successfully to apply. We are simply locked out! Excluded! Which leads us to suspect that there must be some hidden agenda behind it all does it not.

Perhaps I should start my own "group" for non-Orwellian music lovers who do not possess a portable tele-phone but would still rather like to be astonished.

But thank you for the Japanese one; it is very good indeed!

Comment

Well I did in the end manage to access this group, by way of a long abandoned ten-year-old email account. Just at present there is if I am not mistaken some technical reorganization going on, praiseworthy efforts by people putting in long hours; so give it a week or so. But the sheer quantity bowled me over! Mind you, the established orchestras do not I think play nearly enough rarities.

And the other link, the Japanese one - "Orchestra on Demand" - has been literally life-changing - I have acquired therefrom a new passion for collecting videos of concerts! In almost every type of music the experience of watching and hearing must be superior to the experience of simply hearing must it not. Audio recordings are I predict going very soon out!

One example I must cite: http://www.citedelamusiquelive.tv/Co...an-claude.html
                                This is a video of a three-hour concert from the Quatuor Ysaÿe, consisting of Debussy's quartette, Beethoven's last quartette (the Hamlet must-it-be one), Mozart's late string quintette K.515, Fauré's first pianoforte quintette, opus 89, and jolly old Schönberg's Transfigured Night. Five supreme masterpieces in a single concert! It is now - with the help of Camtasia - safely preserved on my hard drive. All four members of the Quatuor Ysaÿe have the appearance of mature steady gentlemen, with a sensible and studied approach to their gargantuan task. It is the best concert I have seen for a long long time, and highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X