• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
    Very well, then - another double letter one:

One moved from Trinidad to the Arctic;
    Another put on Airs and Graces (but Don't Mention the War);
    The third (followed by much Internet activity) produced Songs of Spring (to say nothing of the Offspring Songs).

What the L?
    Looks like three Lloyds.

Comment

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      Looks like three Lloyds.
      - and the Colle Sllaw, please?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

- and the Colle Sllaw, please?
        George Lloyd served on H M S Trinidad in the Arctic convoy and composed the ship's march.

Jonathan Lloyd composed Airs and Graces (1987) and Don't Mention the War (1982).

William Lloyd Webber composed Songs of Spring and was the father of Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Comment

George Lloyd served on H M S Trinidad in the Arctic convoy and composed the ship's march.
          ... the March was his last composition before the traumas of the war prevented him from composing, his next completed work was the Arctic Symphony.

[Jonathan Lloyd composed Airs and Graces (1987) and Don't Mention the War (1982).

William Lloyd Webber composed Songs of Spring and was the father of Andrew Lloyd Webber.
          (indeed he was)

- a fuLL house, subby. Looking forward to your machinations!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Looking forward to your machinations!
            An M to link 13 String Quartets, 5 Concertinos (involving three different solo instruments), and 7 operas.

Comment

Looks like three Lloyds.
              Oh my goodness subs ... I thought it looked one to save up for the long winter evenings .....

Comment

... I was thinkin' of Martinu, but he wrote more than seven operas...

Comment

I'm puzzled! I've rejected the following "near misses": Myaskovsky (failed on operas); M. Weinberg ( failed on concertini); Maconchy (failed on operas); G.Macfarren ( too many operas, too few concertini) and Milhaud ( exhausted my ability to count!) .... HELP!

Comment

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                    I'm puzzled! I've rejected the following "near misses": Myaskovsky (failed on operas); M. Weinberg ( failed on concertini); Maconchy (failed on operas); G.Macfarren ( too many operas, too few concertini) and Milhaud ( exhausted my ability to count!) .... HELP!
                    According to information that I have obtained, one of those was correct (although Grove lists one of the operas in question as a "masque" and another as an "extravaganza").

Comment

According to information that I have obtained, one of those was correct (although Grove lists one of the operas in question as a "masque" and another as an "extravaganza").
                      Well, well the suspect with a corpus of work that probably exceeded Darius Milhaud in volume and whose manuscripts are the least well documented is Sir George Macfarren. I suspect that he wrote more that the required number of operas but may have reached 13 string quartets only if one accepts four transcribed from manuscripts of early composers. Even with his concertini, there is room for discussion, since he wrote works for the classical concertina, and, well ...

So M is for George but not Walter Macfarren nor Mrs Macfarren, both of whom dabbled with staves.

Comment

Well, well the suspect with a corpus of work that probably exceeded Darius Milhaud in volume and whose manuscripts are the least well documented is Sir George Macfarren. I suspect that he wrote more that the required number of operas but may have reached 13 string quartets only if one accepts four transcribed from manuscripts of early composers. Even with his concertini, there is room for discussion, since he wrote works for the classical concertina, and, well ...

So M is for George but not Walter Macfarren nor Mrs Macfarren, both of whom dabbled with staves.
                        Sorry, you did not pick the correct one.

An additional clue would be that an offspring has composed eight operas (so far).

Comment

Sorry, you did not pick the correct one.

An additional clue would be that an offspring has composed eight operas (so far).
                          Goodness, it. Must be Maconchy and CO. Well, I never gave Elizabeth a chance!

Comment

Goodness, it. Must be Maconchy and CO. Well, I never gave Elizabeth a chance!
                            Indeed it is Elizabeth Maconchy, whose output included 13 String Quartets, 5 Concertinos (two for piano, two for clarinet, and one for bassoon), and (depending on classification) 7 operas. Her younger daughter, Nicola LeFanu, has composed 8 operas (so far).

Your turn for the next puzzle.

Comment

As the accidental winner who won by trawling, I feel unworthy to assume the mantle.

But... Here's a facile N for you:

An N word that appears within the titles of:

A work for Grand-Pa by a completer of Mozart;

An overture by one of the big "B"s;

A choral work with soprano and orchestra by a Master of the King's / Queen's Music(k).

Comment

The big 'B's ,I define as JSB, Beethoven, Brahms, Berg and Bartok.

Comment

Working...
                                X