No announcement yet.
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a bit of scattergunning - any link to Ottos Respighi and Nicolai and Vilja?

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Time for a bit of scattergunning - any link to Ottos Respighi and Nicolai and Vilja?
      Respighi is one of the Ottos, yes.
      Nothing to do with Nicolai or Vilja, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
        Respighi is one of the Ottos, yes.
        Nothing to do with Nicolai or Vilja, though.
        Vetrate di Chiesa is the only work that comes to mind.

Comment

I wonder if Pulcie might have included Nigel Kennedy as one of the clues?
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

One Otto was on holiday, and another Otto was roaming around the trees and some water, while Franz was also travelling around nearby but looking at different trees and water.
            What V do they have in common?
            I believe we're looking at Villas.

Franz Liszt enjoying the Jeaux d'Eau a la Villa d'Este
            Claudio Arrau pianista Chileno, quizas el mejor pianista del siglo XX, toca majestuosamente esta pieza de Liszt. Una dedicacion especial al tio Guiellermo El...

Otto Respighi admiring the Pini di Villa Borghese:

The fictional holiday Otto has me stumped, but Nigel Kennedy has been disappointed his whole life by Aston Villa:

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
              I wonder if Pulcie might have included Nigel Kennedy as one of the clues?
              He might indeed.
              I think you've got it.

Comment

Ooh! Is the opera by Handel?

Comment

Hmmm ... no reference I can see to holidays, but the mother of King Otto in Handel's Ottone is called Willa, which in German would be pronounced "Villa"????

Comment

I believe we're looking at Villas.

Franz Liszt enjoying the Jeaux d'Eau a la Villa d'Este
                    Claudio Arrau pianista Chileno, quizas el mejor pianista del siglo XX, toca majestuosamente esta pieza de Liszt. Una dedicacion especial al tio Guiellermo El...

Otto Respighi admiring the Pini di Villa Borghese:

The fictional holiday Otto has me stumped, but Nigel Kennedy has been disappointed his whole life by Aston Villa:
                    The Otto on holiday (or in the country, according to a different translation) was a first for Antonio.
                    Respighi also depicted the fountain at Villa Medici, and Liszt wrote threnodies to the cypresses at Villa d'Este too.

Comment

Hmmm ... no reference I can see to holidays, but the mother of King Otto in Handel's Ottone is called Willa, which in German would be pronounced "Villa"????
                      Right name, wrong opera, wrong composer.

Comment

The Otto on holiday (or in the country, according to a different translation) was a first for Antonio.
                        Aah! This:

Antonio Vivaldi:"Ottone in villa" RV 729Ottone: Sonia Prina, contraltoCaio Silio:Sophie JunkerCleonilla:Sine Bundgaard Tullia:Deborah York Decio:Leif Aruhn-S...

Respighi also depicted the fountain at Villa Medici, and Liszt wrote threnodies to the cypresses at Villa d'Este too.
                        Anyone ever written a Dandelions of the Bungalow?

Comment

Aah! This:

Antonio Vivaldi:"Ottone in villa" RV 729Ottone: Sonia Prina, contraltoCaio Silio:Sophie JunkerCleonilla:Sine Bundgaard Tullia:Deborah York Decio:Leif Aruhn-S...

That's the one (but how on earth did you get hold of the working title of my forthcoming magnum opus?).

So we have
                          Antonio Vivaldi: Ottone in villa (away from the day job in Rome, so on holiday). Vivaldi's first opera.
                          Ottorino Respighi: Pines and Fountains of Rome (roaming, gedddit?) each contain a villa reference.
                          Franz Liszt: Années de Pèlerinage (which somehow I always think of as peregrinations not pilgrimage), Third Year, contains pieces related to the cypresses and fountains at the Villa d'Este.
                          (Temporary geographical brainstorm made me think that Tivoli was further from Rome than 'nearby'.)

So, wot's up for us next, ferney?
                          Last edited by Pulcinella; 30-01-17, 23:15.

Comment

Aah! This:

Plenty at ours - maybe I'll clock one up!

Comment

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Plenty at ours - maybe I'll clock one up!
                              Oh, blow!

Comment

Shhh! A Stranger with Melody in Landscapes of Absence leading to Certain Spaces of Eternity. WT ... H?

Comment

Working...
                                X