Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Very wet here yesterday - certainly not showing much sign of being the driest part of the UK - and this morning is murky and muggy. My lawn must be mown but it'll be a challenge as not only is it very wet and long, but the pollen levels are very high, so being outside at all isn't the best for me. Trying to judge the moment between being dry enough to cut without wrecking the mower, and the warmth and/or sun creating a potent pollen aerosol at nose height.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Lovely weather down hereabouts! Ouodnt faukt it. Had a really nice gathering of people yesterday at a friends’ place to celebrate their wedding anniversary.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

On this morning's R4 weather forecast:

"The south-east should be mainly sunny, with only the odd isolated shower being possible. Temperatures should reach between 21 and 26 degrees Celsius".

Between 21 asnd 26 degrees Celsius? That's a ridiculous amount of leeway for error, completely useless to the public. To save on accuracy they might just as well have said "temperatures between reasonably warm and very warm indeed". One can't help thinking, this is all part of the dumbing down of a once user-friendly service, provided by the Met Office until last year, when the BBC chose to ditch a venerable and at least reasonably reliable provider.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Well, it's thick, sultry, sweaty and sapping up here. Thunder / storm threat lurking in the air.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Temperature set to drop as the wind swings round again - forecast suggests it might be cooler at midday tomorrow than the minimum overnight tonight. Yet again one extreme to another - today shedding layers as the sun came out and it got very warm(and sticky) tomorrow putting those layers back on, plus possibly an extra.
            The coast was not the place to be today - inland temps early 20s, coast 14.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Dry hot Today! 24C! Still good to be out and about today with friends. If any of you are around Billingshurst way in West Sussex, do tryba pub called The Limeburners. Very good indeed. A Fullers pub.
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

But as yet, NO rain at all. Just oppressive stillness.
                Maybe later?

Comment

• Lat-Literal
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  Dry hot Today! 24C! Still good to be out and about today with friends. If any of you are around Billingshurst way in West Sussex, do tryba pub called The Limeburners. Very good indeed. A Fullers pub.
                  I went to Billingshurst in my youth to see a girl called Jenny Cork who became Stephens. She taught me how to pronounce Ardingly. There was a dodgy Chinese at that time but I always liked it. Later, I hacked around Slinfold golf with people. I like the look of your recommendation. You are doing so well and an inspiration. Currently, I have new health issues - tremor - and all I can think to do on what I know is worry like hell. Is it this? Is it that? That's along with concerns about parents that they are both out of their depth and beyond even mild advice. From me. The neighbours are brought in to support their wild abandon and paint me as a constraint while I get their "full assistance". Anyhow, I thought it was too hot today. This week looks better. I haven't tried kayaking since my first two days and getting the certificate last July. There will be a day soon when I say "to hell with it; I might as well".

This is the place of my two or three week outings:

If anyone knows of a caravan in a spectacular place by the sea with few people, please do let me know. It would be for one person for one week. Or possibly two months. I'm getting to the point where I don't think I can handle being told that I can't buy my own dog because I get stressed and wouldn't have the ability to care for it, their marriage is regretted, my daily arrival is untimely as they have had a row, and that I shouldn't move the rubbish people leave behind the street bin because the police could regard me as suspicious, all with neighbour applause. That's when the neighbs aren't flying off every second to their Portuguese home and then returning to be the wonderful son - and daughter-in-law - for the latest five minutes.
                  Last edited by Lat-Literal; 03-06-18, 23:39.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Hiya Lat! That looks like a nice place. Sorry to hear of your recent problems. Hope they get resolved soon.

Rather overcast here today. I don’t think we will get rain, though.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Another very hot sunny day in the upper Twyi valley. Who said it always rained in Wales?

Comment

• greenilex
                        • Nov 2010

Lovely here, but I believe temperatures are due for a dip later as the wind swings around?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                          Lovely here, but I believe temperatures are due for a dip later as the wind swings around?
                          It has already arrived here.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

... I have just found ventusky.

It's great fun -

you can choose altitude for temperature measurement - precipitation - clouds - wind speed - gusts - air pressure - thunderstorms - humidity - waves - snow cover ...

London ☀ ✅ Weather forecast for 10 days, information from meteorological stations, webcams, sunrise and sunset, wind and precipitation maps for this place

Comment

• greenilex
                              • Nov 2010

Thanks. Very informative and user-friendly so far...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I have just found ventusky.

It's great fun -

you can choose altitude for temperature measurement - precipitation - clouds - wind speed - gusts - air pressure - thunderstorms - humidity - waves - snow cover ...

London ☀ ✅ Weather forecast for 10 days, information from meteorological stations, webcams, sunrise and sunset, wind and precipitation maps for this place

Yes, that's rather good - easier to manipulate than the BBC Weather maps too: at the touch of the button I was whisked from the height of the Shard into outer space, therefrom to gaze upon the Equator. Not even EasyJet will ever offer that fast an ascent.

I've just returned from a trip to the southernmost rim of the London conurbation - one reaches rolling countryside just south of the road connecting Croydon and West Wickham - a bike ride which took me 2 hours, including about two miles' worth of woodland paths that had to be walked. The woods smell lovely from the recent rain, undergrowth running rampant. Enough nettles to make nettle soup to feed the five thousand. I just love this, my favourite time of year. Apart from high grass pollen leading to a lot of sneezing, conditions were just right - warm sunshine, and little humidity or wind to have to face. I would think I've done about 15 miles in all, that being about my limit for the time being: my knees were threatening to give out as I climbed the final gradient from Penge to the summit at Crystal Palace Parade! Tomorrow threatens to become thundery once more, in the south at any rate; there were just faint preliminary signs to be observed to the south, with some altocumulus castellanus just visible in the far distance.

Comment

Working...
                                X