Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rain as expected, but so far not as heavy or consistent as forecast, and light breeze rather than wind reduces the effect further.Having said that I did get very wet returning from town as there was a sudden downpour rather than the earlier fairly light efforts.
    The grey skies and gloom are lowering in themselves but the necessity to constantly be on the alert for puddles(caused by blocked drains and potholes) that cars surge through without regard for hapless pedestrians, and failed rainwater goods disgorging torrents from above, I found particularly depressing today. It seemed to sum up the daily irritations of life in a sadly(and unnecessarily) decrepit country.
    Just as well that yesterday was dry, slightly sunny, and mild, and that my garden volunteer duties meant I made the most of it.

Comment

'Mild'???
      Blimey - sure as H it ain't here and snow is forecast - a forecast I totally believe.
      Even yr.no is hinting at same.
      ......And today, Friday Mar 1st, here in Cumbria, a truly fierce, penetrating NE wind is knifing through. Been a poor winter, but shopping this a.m. a true icy nightmare.
      Last edited by DracoM; 01-03-24, 13:13.

Comment

Very mild winter and the warmest February on record. Blossom in many areas is already festooning the trees a full month earlier than 2023. Despite this climate emergency, a thin undersheet of snow (no blanket), the first of this so called winter, brought a momentary glimpse of what winters used to be. All gone by lunchtime however!

Comment

Once tonight's weakening occluded front has crossed the country, make the most of the week that is to come, because it looks to be all downhill again by the time we reach the weekend. I do wish it would warm up a bit more, though... I want to get my pot plants out from under porch protection and into the sunlight once more, able to profit from that growing supply of free solar energy - and me too!

Comment

Well here the next few days don't look inspiring, the best that can be said is that it might stay dry once the rain has gone through tonight and tomorrow morning.
            There was a sharp frost last night(-1 then a real nosedive to -3 between 6am and 7 am), but the sun got through the mist quickly and it has been a very pleasant day - gardening was done.
            Sunday seems to have been a case of very local weather. The recording station, only about 20 miles away, had rain virtually all day, whereas here it was dry with plenty of sun, and I saw a couple of comments online and heard from a neighbour suggesting similar experiences elsewhere in the county with very wet and mostly dry being in fairly close proximity.

Comment

Right, here we go:
              BBC says in my area it is SUNNY and 8C....
              Ha!​
              yr.no [Norwegian [ used by most farmers for my area in UK says: Cloud coverage 100% / 6C/ wind SE.
              In my garden: 100% cloud, sharp cold wind NE/E, temp 5C. NO sun.

Now do you see why 'Cumbria' is rarely if ever a word used on BBC forecasts, and why most farmers here do NOT trust the BBC forecasts at all, or rarely.

Comment

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Now do you see why 'Cumbria' is rarely if ever a word used on BBC forecasts, and why most farmers here do NOT trust the BBC forecasts at all, or rarely.
                Last night my weather app said it would be cloudy this morning, sunny this afternoon. This morning it was going to be cloudy this morning, chance of rain in the afternoon. So far it's been grey and cloudy all day - no sun, no rain (yet).
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

This coming weekend unfortunately looks set for a lot of rain, particularly down here in the south and for Wales.

Comment

Oop 'ere, wet, filthy murk, chill, BUT daffs / hellebores loving it, even if some sad tourists ain't while mooching.

Comment

This morning's warm frontal rain now cleared to a claggy maritime tropical sou'westerly, which is set to dominate most of the weather right through to the weekend, barring a few weakish passing fronts. At least temperatures will recover to be once more at mid-April levels - warm enough for venturing out coatless, and even for some proper bike rides.

Comment

We've had a mere handful of dry days here in Staffordshire since Christmas and today has seen yet more heavy rain. I need a few consecutive dry days in order for some minor building work to be done but with the endless wet weather my builder's backlog must be a bit of a problem.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          We've had a mere handful of dry days here in Staffordshire since Christmas and today has seen yet more heavy rain. I need a few consecutive dry days in order for some minor building work to be done but with the endless wet weather my builder's backlog must be a bit of a problem.
                          A nice blocking high in the right position will eventually come and break this zonal pattern. The trouble is, your builder will probably be literally booked to the rafters by that point. One good thing about living in London is that there are "handymen" all around, ready and willing to do that odd job both well and at a reasonable price.

Comment

Absolutely thrashed it down, then stopped, and temp dropped to near freezing in an hour. Hard NE wind just beginning to sulk itself to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

The trouble is, your builder will probably be literally booked to the rafters by that point.
                              Well, he could always raise the roof!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

Well, he could always raise the roof!
                                That would leave you literally guttered.

Comment

Working...
                                X