This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
    More apostrophe's - a sign in a local hairdresser informs passer's-by that "Appointments are not alway's necessary"
    Local junk shop put up a sign saying: "From June the shop will be closed on Wed's." I considered it for while and decided it was probably all right - though possibly by accident.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Local junk shop put up a sign saying: "From June the shop will be closed on Wed's." I considered it for while and decided it was probably all right - though possibly by accident.
      Clearly the owner was ultra-pedantic - and most likely aware of this thread, to boot. He or she probably writes "sha'n't".

Comment

Hand-written notices one thing. Surprisingly how many tradesmen have superfluous apostrophes on their white van's [] - you'd think professional signwriters would be wise to this....

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post
          Wed's is surely wrong. The rule is that 's is not used for plurals, even of abbreviations or truncations. There are, however, exceptions and anomalies. Fellow pedants around here may be interested in this site which discusses a few genuine problem cases, such as do's and don'ts. (Point 11 on that site).

PS

This sign is presumably owned by a speed camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
            Clearly the owner was ultra-pedantic - and most likely aware of this thread, to boot. He or she probably writes "sha'n't".
            Shou'dn't've s/he?
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              Wed's is surely wrong. The rule is that 's is not used for plurals
              It might just have been a singular abbreviation of Wednesday, where Weds was taken as the abbreviation and the apostrophe represents the omission of the 'ne'.

So it may be wrong but why it's wrong could be debated.

In the speed camera notice the camera symbol could mean 'in operation here' and the notice an abbreviation of Speed camera is in operation here.

No, not really ..... :-)
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Shou'dn't've s/he?

Don't you just hate s/he? If the sex of the subject is unimportant and we want to be sensitive to the issue, 'they' is so much more elegant. "If someone wants to be sensitive, they might use…" Shakespeare used 'they' as a singular and it's been a common enough feature of English ever since.

Easier still, use all plurals - "If people want to be sensitive, they…" - unless context might make it seem silly.
                Last edited by Pabmusic; 05-06-14, 00:23.

Comment

I was in Kirkbymoorside in North Yorkshire this morning and saw this sign over a shop:

C, CARTER

Comment

Well he was obviously a carter called C. As in:

BOB, BUILDER

Comment

I thought it might be text-speak, beginning a sentence in the vocative:

See, Carter….

Comment

Not a gripe about current usage but a straight question: Does anyone here pronounce forte (as in "His forte is public speaking") as a monosyllable?

I'll explain later if anyone's interested...
                        I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

Not I.

Comment

Nor I.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                              …..

I'll explain later if anyone's interested...
                              Come on, LMP, don't keep us hanging on.

Comment

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                                Not a gripe about current usage but a straight question: Does anyone here pronounce forte (as in "His forte is public speaking") as a monosyllable?
                                As it's French rather than Italian in origin, I can't see why anyone would not pronounce it as a monosyllable!

The OED says:

Pronunciation: ( /ˈfɔːti/ , /ˈfɔːteɪ/ , formerly /fɔːt/ )

Etymology: < French fort, absolute use of fort strong

Comment

Working...
                                X