Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Point taken completely - she served her purpose very well.

And maybe Radio 3 As She Is serves the same purpose for new generations. Who knows how I would react if I were an 18 year old tuning in these days…
    It would be interesting to know what such potential listeners make of the chat content - I'm not convinced that the current increasingly informal approach is really more appealing than the more formal approach of earlier times. Apart from Jess Gillam it's parent generation chat/informality, and often somewhat forced even then.
    "Catering to" risks, at best, missing the mark, or can be perceived as patronising - which isn't that much of an improvement on the elite/posh accusation in terms of engagement IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by bwhitjo View Post
      Is there nobody at the BBC who has sufficient authority to clamp down on these damned trailers which are the curse of R3 listening? Time was when they appeared only in breaks, but now they infest the very programmes, like the ill-mannered man who insists on butting into other people's conversation. A trailer is an advertisement, and its intrusion into a programme is no less irritating than a commercial for dog-food or floor-polish, and it is a perfect example of radio bad manners.
      I've always thought of Radio 3 (well, the Third Programme, as I should like it to be!) as an oasis of tranquility and immune to the broadcasting vicissitudes of other stations. Sadly this is no longer true, although "Through The Night" does a pretty good job of "keeping the side up".

Comment

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

If one has the necessary hardware/subscriptions. I realise that most/all forumites will already be in that position, but other radio listeners(and not just R3) may not be so placed. I know I am seriously behind in that respect, but until Afternoon Concert ceased to be(before the current changes that is) and the evening concert offering seems to have become very limited(classical doesn't feature much these days) over the last year or so, it wasn't an issue as switching my radio on provided plenty of music for the times I wanted it. It is now off most of the time once Breakfast has finished.
        I share your sadness at the loss of the Lunchtime Concert. As it was a short programme I often listened all through to music I otherwise might not have stuck with, and being lunchtime it was generally easier to fit into the daytime activities - and helped to keep meals on a more even keel! CotW preceeding it also suited - the current timing means I miss it more often than not, as an odd hour in between the post Breakfast void and evening schedules I don't want to listen to most of the time.
        Getting back on topic - now that my listening is so limited I find that my irritation at the advert intrusions is even greater - even more aware(and resentful) of time lost to unnecessary noise I suppose.
        The shortage or complete lack of options available to radio listeners who, for whatever reason, are less well placed is just one more sign of the extent to which people who don't have (or don't want) online access are increasingly being discriminated against. I'm pleased to say that all my non-Radio 3 sources of classical music are subscription-free!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
          The answer of course (in theory) is: discovery. You might not know that you want to hear a new piece or performance until you do so.
          Catch 22 is, if we're speaking 'live' radio, that most of the time you have to get irate listening to whatever happens to be on and may just switch off again without having 'discovered' anything. If I have to fiddle about with Sounds I'd be more likely to look for something I was really curious to hear somewhere else. YouTube perhaps. And frankly, I'm more likely to hear about something being discussed here than on R3, judging by the playlists and then factoring in annoying presenters.

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Catch 22 is, if we're speaking 'live' radio, that most of the time you have to get irate listening to whatever happens to be on and may just switch off again without having 'discovered' anything. If I have to fiddle about with Sounds I'd be more likely to look for something I was really curious to hear somewhere else. YouTube perhaps. And frankly, I'm more likely to hear about something being discussed here than on R3, judging by the playlists and then factoring in annoying presenters.

Quite. The irritation of comments of little or no relevance or respect for the music has a nasty way of spoiling what comes after, unless one can somehow exorcise it from one's mind - rather like having a row or nasty encounter can upset the rest of the day. Why should one even have to?

Comment

Originally posted by smittims View Post
              There was a truly excruciating interruption to 'Classical Live' at about 3.45 pm yesterday (1545 BST: a time when I've noticed it goes a bit wacky). Some women shouting about a podcast. I couldn't understand a word of it. So much for 'the home of classical music'.
              Much as I admire Mozart's Quintet for Piano and Wind, I do think Ms Alker's choice of adjective when trailing it - ' towering' - might be just a little de trop.

Comment

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Much as I admire Mozart's Quintet for Piano and Wind, I do think Ms Alker's choice of adjective when trailing it - ' towering' - might be just a little de trop.
                Just a trop in the overflowing oceans of tropes.

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Just a trop in the overflowing oceans of tropes.

Comment

Oh my goodness! I’m on holiday just now and have had a very enjoyable couple of days driving around the Lake District before driving to London on Sunday morning. Radio3 has been my constant companion but those damn trailers. The one from Jools Holand about how he loves classical music and his amazement that one pianist can play the same work and make it sound so different from another pianist is really starting to grate!

Please. Enough already!

Comment

Originally posted by pastoralguy View Post
                      Oh my goodness!

Please. Enough already! [Trailers, that is].
                      Sam Jackson claimed in the Feedback interview that we won't get more than one trailer in any one hour. I've been counting this morning, they occur every half-hour, more or less on the quarter and three quarter.....and this doesn't include any mention of forthcoming events by the T Service.

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Sam Jackson claimed in the Feedback interview that we won't get more than one trailer in any one hour. I've been counting this morning, they occur every half-hour, more or less on the quarter and three quarter.....and this doesn't include any mention of forthcoming events by the T Service.
                        I think he said we wouldn't get the same trailer more than once in any hour. Whatever he said or meant, they've become a major irritant.

Comment

I think he said we wouldn't get the same trailer more than once in any hour. Whatever he said or meant, they've become a major irritant.
                          Yes, being bitten by a different mosquito every half an hour is just as irritating as by the same one!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Webb View Post

Sam Jackson's statement on Feedback was:

Where we are at Radio 3 at the moment is that typically we will not play any more than one trail in any given hour.
                            I suppose it all hangs on what he meant by "typically" ...

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

Sam Jackson's statement on Feedback was:

I suppose it all hangs on what he meant by "typically" ...
                              That's a politician's trick as far as I'm concerned. There is patently more than one irrelevant and intrusive interruption each hour, so dismissing the whole issue/irritation by saying there is only one trail doesn't answer the complaint even if it's technically true.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                                Sam Jackson's statement on Feedback was:​ "Where we are at Radio 3 at the moment is that typically we will not play any more than one trail in any given hour." I suppose it all hangs on what he meant by "typically" ...
                                'Averagely'? How many trails are there during TTN for example? That must lower the average. I'm just studying some comparative figures between CFM and R3, kindly supplied by 'friends' a few years ago. I don't think R3's overall pattern differs much from CFM's - or indeed any other radio station's - to allow him to make changes to bring R3 'in line' e.g. radio listening is low in the evenings because when people are at home they watch television instead. His comments seem to me to suggest no broad knowledge or experience of radio outside Classic FM.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X