Phrases/words that set your teeth on edge.

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
    [...] And what does this make Simon and Garfunkel's recording - iconicer? supericonic? megaiconic?
    Oh of course... iconoclastic!

Comment

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
      Oh of course... iconoclastic!
      Surprised no one has thought up the word "iconoclassic". Or have they?? If not, I just have.

Comment

I’m surprised that the Member for the 18th century doesn’t have it on his list!
        Money can't buy you happiness............but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery - Spike Milligan

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Surprised no one has thought up the word "iconoclassic". Or have they?? If not, I just have.
          It was the name of a Radio 3 series from about 20 years ago, S_A (I have a cassette somewhere of Richard Barrett discussing his enthusiasm for Ferneyhough and Anthony Braxton in one programme, and Frances-Marie Uitti on Scelsi in another).
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
            It was the name of a Radio 3 series from about 20 years ago, S_A (I have a cassette somewhere of Richard Barrett discussing his enthusiasm for Ferneyhough and Anthony Braxton in one programme, and Frances-Marie Uitti on Scelsi in another).
            Ah yes - I remember it well!

Comment

Broadcast, respectively, at 10.45 p.m. on 28th July and 18th August 1997.

Comment

Broadcast, respectively, at 10.45 p.m. on 28th July and 18th August 1997.
                Blimey! Exactly 22 years ago to the day!
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Blimey! Exactly 22 years ago to the day!
                  Terrifying inasmuch as it seems almost like yesterday, and in another 22 years I will be 95!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Terrifying inasmuch as it seems almost like yesterday, and in another 22 years I will be 95!!!
                    You youngsters!

Comment

the previous two posts made me think of this

Last edited by burning dog; 29-07-19, 10:18.

Comment

Originally posted by burning dog View Post
                        the previous two posts made me think of this

What an AMAZING performance - thank you so much (but I think I'll stay well clear of Aunt Harriet!)

Comment

What an AMAZING performance - thank you so much (but I think I'll stay well clear of Aunt Harriet!)
                          Yep - creak before you croke.

Comment

The German economy has experienced negative growth - isn't that the same thing as contraction'?

Comment

The German economy has experienced negative growth - isn't that the same thing as contraction'?
                              Not for Women in Labour...

Comment

A renowned opera singer said to me recently:

"And trust me when I go on stage, I try so badly to always do my best."

This made me wonder if it is grammatically correct to use words with negative connotations to explain positive situations?

Comment

Working...
                                X